The Student Room Group

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by blueskyblue
She was very distant , very masculine and difficult , if I was him i'd have been terribly dissapointed not quite sure what he saw in her.

She's like a caricature of your hood rat black girl , I know all black girls aren't like this but acting like this is very very very unattractive , I think its why black guys are the most likely to be in interracial relationships.

She has a very tough shell around her which is fair enough since she didn't have an easy upbringing but she could have opened up to him more. It baffles me what he saw in her too. Not that am trying to be mean or anything. Shes is just a difficult person.

Hahah being a black girl myself, i agree that not all of us are like dear brenda. However i dont think black boys are most likely to be in interracial relationships because of that. I think its all about our generation which is different and more accepting that anyone can mingle with anyone:smile:
Original post by mjj22
She has a very tough shell around her which is fair enough since she didn't have an easy upbringing but she could have opened up to him more. It baffles me what he saw in her too. Not that am trying to be mean or anything. Shes is just a difficult person.

Hahah being a black girl myself, i agree that not all of us are like dear brenda. However i dont think black boys are most likely to be in interracial relationships because of that. I think its all about our generation which is different and more accepting that anyone can mingle with anyone:smile:

Quite an idyllic way of seeing things but its kind of hard to ignore statistics , I cant remember the study exactly but it found black guys were most likely to date outside their race , most mixed race couples between a black and white partner have a black father.

This could be put down to white beauty being portrayed as the best etc but other races are still less likely to date white girls.

I think a lot of black guys ( and other raced guys ) are put off by some black girls attitudes and masculinity.

You do see black girls with other raced guys but these girls typically have more class and sophistication then ones from lower backgrounds , perhaps its a matter of class more then anything.

Sorry if anything i've said offended you
Yesterday's episode was pretty toned down and slightly boring, the last 2 were better imo.

Quite like everyone on the show, except "Mads" :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by micksocurly
Yesterday's episode was pretty toned down and slightly boring, the last 2 were better imo.

What's wrong with her? She's only really been a secondary character so far, although the fact that she's named amongst the texts and not just named "friend" is a hint that she will be strongly featured later in the series.

Anyone know how many episodes there are?
Original post by orange crush
What's wrong with her? She's only really been a secondary character so far, although the fact that she's named amongst the texts and not just named "friend" is a hint that she will be strongly featured later in the series.

Anyone know how many episodes there are?

Last one is next week! And we meet a 'mature student' - now my foundation year had a lot of mature students with children so I can see what she's like!
Original post by simplylldxo
Last one is next week! And we meet a 'mature student' - now my foundation year had a lot of mature students with children so I can see what she's like!

Oh that sucks. Was hoping for at least a 6 or 8 part series.
Original post by micksocurly

the fact that she could just ask her parents for money annoyed me, but I guess some are luckier than others haha
I don't see what the guy see's in Brenda, he's far out of her League, and she seems like some man
Right so Brenda texts Troy 'I love you' after taking £500 off someone she barely knows, was on her phone most of the footage, asked if he would foot the food bill and turns up a hour late, if I was Troy I'd tell her to go f*ck herself.

I did however do the same thing as Brenda but I live at home so I commute to Uni so rent is not a problem... I've promised myself to budget this year!

I still dislike Aiden however you saw his 'softer' side but I'm not surprised he went through clearing to get to Uni.

Hassan annoyed me for various reasons: blaming lectures for mixing with Freshers - that's what the first week is for which resulted in his laziness (I mean who misses most of their starter sessions). His dependency on his mum (or rather it be the other way round), you are at Uni - you need to look after yourself.

It's the last episode next week - maybe we'll find out what has happened since the show!
Original post by orange crush
Oh that sucks. Was hoping for at least a 6 or 8 part series.

In all fairness it was only for Semester 1 so it'd drag on... I'm getting bored of it now if I'm honest! It's not depicted student life either - only their social life which has been dramatised to the heavens and back!
Josie- I did not understand she is catholic yet she sleeps with random guys then goes to church afterwards very confusing! But she seems nice and cool.

Aiden- Seems like one of those dickheadsssssss surprised he got into Leicester but though clearing made much more sense. His dream of the US are very similar to quite a lot that seems to be the flavour of our generation. Seems to be one of those who feed their ego with like and retweets off facebook and twitter.

Hassan- He seems cool, reminds me of myself very lazy when waking up in the morning! But no he seems like a nice guy.

The other physics guy- (sorry forgot his name) From Hampshire he seems like he has his bearings mature seems like he those his stuff.

That black girl (Brenda??)- She pissed me off the most with materialism, spending all her money on trainers tracksuits items of no real value, then complaining when she can't pay the rent. Then when that nice man troy was patient and a good man to her offers her £500 she accepts, then when they meet she seems off not interested and very rude. Then she starts judging him on the way he looks!!! After he payed for her meal gave her £500 for the rent was a nice genuine guy. She is not exactly good looking herself, honestly if I was that guy I would grand theft auto a car and ****ing drive loool.
In all fairness it was only for Semester 1 so it'd drag on... I'm getting bored of it now if I'm honest! It's not depicted student life either - only their social life which has been dramatised to the heavens and back!

I agree yesterdays episode was quite boring and was starting to put me off going to uni this year the first 2 were good know!
Terrible series. What is it even saying?

All students are idiots but then get a bit homesick and struggle through term one but don't leave cos they'll regret it?

Yeah, well done. So?

Dreadful show.
I preferred yesterday's episode and have to agree with everyone else with Brenda....totally iiresponsible, very rude to her parents and to Troy and then judges him for being short :/
Troy can do so much better.

Really hope I don't meet girls like this!

Aiden- well he's just a typical lad who puts parties above his degree..

Josie- typical catholic nowadays who say one thing but do another eg ONS

Hassan- he's ok but so lazy but I admire that he's a mummy boy who wants to be independent but his mum just won't let go. Hope my parents don't call me every night and day :/

Last episode next week.
I mean who misses most of their starter sessions

Universities know that students go out a lot during freshers on nights organised by Student Unions. They need to work together so that the 'big' nights out don't affect going to starter sessions. During freshers at my first uni they had a 1 hour session every other day. During my freshers at my current uni they had full things going on and everyone was so hungover.

:/
Reply 235
Original post by blueskyblue
Quite an idyllic way of seeing things but its kind of hard to ignore statistics , I cant remember the study exactly but it found black guys were most likely to date outside their race , most mixed race couples between a black and white partner have a black father.

This could be put down to white beauty being portrayed as the best etc but other races are still less likely to date white girls.

I think a lot of black guys ( and other raced guys ) are put off by some black girls attitudes and masculinity.

You do see black girls with other raced guys but these girls typically have more class and sophistication then ones from lower backgrounds , perhaps its a matter of class more then anything.

Sorry if anything i've said offended you

Ohhhhhhh okkkk i get where ure coming from lol. But well not all of us are like that anywho haha.

Nah dont be silly. I wasn't offended at all. :smile: i appreciate the apology for though lol
Original post by Roving Fish
Universities know that students go out a lot during freshers on nights organised by Student Unions. They need to work together so that the 'big' nights out don't affect going to starter sessions. During freshers at my first uni they had a 1 hour session every other day. During my freshers at my current uni they had full things going on and everyone was so hungover.

:/

That's what I mean... He missed every one!
That's what I mean... He missed every one!

I missed every one that wasn't an introduction to a module. This included a presentation, tour of the library/campus/resources/blah.
My question is why the hell didn't Brenda go and get a damn part time job if money was such a big worry for her instead of spending £300 on ****e she doesn't need. She was an idiot who had not been brought up with good money consciousness, something I would expect from a working class family. She was a damn idiot if she thinks she can get her parents or partners to bail her out when things get a bit tight, I wouldn't have given her rent money either if I had been her parents and the only time she called me was when she needed money. Screw that.
Good Muslim boy Hassan :biggrin:

Original post by TheNacho63
Hassan sounds like Raj in Come Fly with Me, thats a good thing

That's what i thought :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest