The Student Room Group

Good podcasts for an introduction to law

Hello - I am a Year 11 student who is thinking about my future. I think Law would be very interesting to study at university but I really don't know much about it.
Does anyone have any podcasts or book I could read and listen to to get a good introduction into law.
Something that puts things in more simple terms so that I can be introduced to it?
Reply 1
Hey! Ive applied for law this year and have gotten a couple of offers, so I’ll tell you what I would recommend/did.

Like you, I too had no knowledge going into this. I would recommend (if you’re set on applying for Law), that while you listen to podcasts or read books, to always write/ record what insights you gain or if you find a topic very interesting etc. This would really help your PS, especially with the super curricular part.

Some things Ive been recommended are:
The ‘Law in Action’ Podcast.
Books:
‘What about Law’ by Catherine Barnard…
‘Letters to a Law Student’ by Nicholas J McBride
I personally also read ‘Is Eating People Wrong’ by Alan Hutchinson and ‘Eve was Framed’ by Helena Kennedy too. These books are a bit heavier and less starter friendly imo. (I’m pretty sure Cambridge has released a list of recommendations of law super curriculars, you could check those out- it has everything from books to podcasts to youtube channels I think)

Some other books I’ve bought but yet to read:
‘The Rule of Law’ by Tom Bingham
‘The Secret Barrister’
I also bought a book on Jurisprudence because I found it interesting and wanted to delve deeper into the concept, so any ‘A short introduction to…’ book would work too if you have a specific area you’re interested in!

You can also watch law lectures on youtube, or moot comps to get a real taste of what studying law is like. Don’t feel obliged to get through every single suggestion! One or two would most likely be enough, but if you have time and are interested and want to do more, go for it!

Hope this helps!
(edited 1 month ago)
Loved the previous response, but just adding to it.

I would HIGHLY recommend reading books by The Secret Barrister. I read Fake Law this year and his writing is not alienating (especially if you're new to learning about law) compared to many books I've picked up. His writing style makes reading about legal problems super interesting while simultaneously probing you to think.
Someone has already said it but I listened to the BBC Law in Action podcast; the topics are always interesting and the terminology isn’t overly technical. Also UK Law Weekly is good because they focus on specific cases so it gives you more of an idea of what cases will be like as a student, but the language is a bit more technical/geared towards current law students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending