The Student Room Group

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4

Scroll to see replies

My thoughts on each of the people in Episode 4:
Brenda - annoying, whiny and bad with money management. why would you go to uni to just not turn up?
Ben- ARROGANT. Also very disorganised. Leaving things til the last minute is never a good idea
Tanya- it was lovely to see how she managed being a single mother and uni/work life. I hope she gets the grades she wants. Definitely a great mother.
Thank god it's over.
Original post by thechemistress
My thoughts on each of the people in Episode 4:
Brenda - annoying, whiny and bad with money management. why would you go to uni to just not turn up?
Ben- ARROGANT. Also very disorganised. Leaving things til the last minute is never a good idea
Tanya- it was lovely to see how she managed being a single mother and uni/work life. I hope she gets the grades she wants. Definitely a great mother.

Something tells me that Ben's disorganisation was a little bit scripted
Original post by orange crush
Is there anything more annoying than the "value for money" fascists on twitter. Ugh. Uni is not a product.

Anything you pay for is a product.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarrietROAR
Anything you pay for is a product.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but you don't pay for uni unless you end up getting a good job out of it. It's basically a win-win situation.
Yeah but you don't pay for uni unless you end up getting a good job out of it. It's basically a win-win situation.

No. You pay for it. Either way. Its irrelivent who pays for it.. it gets paid for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HarrietROAR
No. You pay for it. Either way. Its irrelivent who pays for it.. it gets paid for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but not necessarily by you. Ergo, you don't "pay for it" unless you can afford to.
Yes, but not necessarily by you. Ergo, you don't "pay for it" unless you can afford to.

You still pay for it anyway, who do you think pays the amount you don't pay back? The state. Which is entirely funded by taxpayers. That includes yourself.
Original post by james1211
You still pay for it anyway, who do you think pays the amount you don't pay back? The state. Which is entirely funded by taxpayers. That includes yourself.

Yes but funnily enough your tax contributions will be lower if you fail to meet the £21k threshold. Maybe I'm blinkered because I get my tuition fees paid by the government, but this hole thing about "value for money" seems ridiculous and kinda fascist to me. Students skip the odd lecture, get over it.
Yes but funnily enough your tax contributions will be lower if you fail to meet the £21k threshold. Maybe I'm blinkered because I get my tuition fees paid by the government, but this hole thing about "value for money" seems ridiculous and kinda fascist to me. Students skip the odd lecture, get over it.

What's fascist about it?
What's fascist about it?

Not literally Fascism. Think of them as attendance-nazis :tongue:
Enjoyed the last episode.

Brenda once again managed to annoy me with bunking lectures. One or two is fine but completely ruling them out is silly. Also when she got a job interview then moaned to troy saying she can't do it.....really annoyed me. At least have an ounce of confidence!
Shame about the panic attack, she really overdid it with work/uni.

Ben- typical wannabe medical student. He should have taken a gap year instead of doing a degree straight away. Also applying minutes away from the deadline is idiotic.
Very arrogant too, I can't stand people like him but unfortunately medical students have this a lot. Also it's funny how a lot of the students on his biological science course wants to do medicine :tongue:

Tanya- impressive she decided to go uni for the benefit of her daughter and herself. A degree isn't necessary for policing but a degree definitely provides a backup plus transferable skills.

No aiden or hasan!! :biggrin:

Overall cool episode, most of it was Brenda which was annoying lol.

Thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 433
To be honest I don't get why people are calling Ben arrogant, he's quite clearly a clever guy that wants to do well and acknowledges how competitive the medical field is.
Original post by mm14
To be honest I don't get why people are calling Ben arrogant, he's quite clearly a clever guy that wants to do well and acknowledges how competitive the medical field is.

His teacher pretty much said he was mediocre, and his general attitude just screamed of arrogance. If he's in university already, he's done UCAS before to get there, he should know how the reference process works and not to leave things so last minute. I don't think he's that clever.
I cannot stand Brenda.
did anyone else see Ben entering his individual module grades last night, and wonder how the hell he got A*AA overall?!
Reply 437
Overall a good series, enjoyable when taken with a pinch of salt. Obviously alot of them played up to the cameras and what we saw was several months of mundane life condensed down to make an hour of entertainment.

I hope they do more series of it, perhaps at different universitys.
Original post by tnetennba
did anyone else see Ben entering his individual module grades last night, and wonder how the hell he got A*AA overall?!

I did! He had a mixture of A,B,C and D grades even in some of his A2 modules and I was just thinking huh?!?

He probably did some retakes though and those were the grades he got the first time. :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tnetennba

Most likely his original grades which is why his school didn't predict him AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest