The Student Room Group

Vet Med. Work Experience Issues

Hi vet med hopefuls!
I'm a 2015 applicant, and so far I've managed to accumulate a reasonable volume of experience but I've been unable to secure a placement with a large animal/farm vet, despite trying 3 practises, as they are unable to take people out on visits due to insurance reasons- has anyone else experienced similar issues or been able to overcome this?
Have you had experience with large/farm animals at other times? Like going on a dairy farm itself etc? Cuz if that's the case you don't necessarily need to go to the vets themselves.
Original post by Treen98
Hi vet med hopefuls!
I'm a 2015 applicant, and so far I've managed to accumulate a reasonable volume of experience but I've been unable to secure a placement with a large animal/farm vet, despite trying 3 practises, as they are unable to take people out on visits due to insurance reasons- has anyone else experienced similar issues or been able to overcome this?

I had an issue with this when I was applying. I contacted so many mixed practices asking to see the farm side and most came up with the insurance excuse. I in the end went to an equine practice to get my LA experience. I must have tried 5+ practices, also don't just email or telephone them, go into the practice and ask about it/give a letter in by hand. There unfortunately is not a way to overcome the insurance excuse, most practices should be okay at offering experience once your over 18. I have a late birthday so I could not manage to get experience after my birthday but before application deadlines. All I can say is just keep going, I had a list of about 20 mixed practices near to me and I was planning to ask all of them for work exp but in the end I didn't manage to get round to ask that many, I'm a 2014 applicant, hopefully going to Nottingham in September and I got 2 interviews with just 2 days equine experience as my large animal experience however I advise trying to do more than I did, as I got rejected by 2 vet schools on the grounds of not having enough veterinary work experience, I presume the large animal side was dragging me down because I had 10 weeks small animal. If you are looking for a true farm animal experience I find farm experience on itself is good, farmers are generally more willing to let you get involved in things which perhaps would be deemed unsafe by a vet! They want you to get stuck in and sometimes it involves getting more involved with the animals than you would travelling round with a vet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks I may try an equine practice, as I have loads of hands on farm experience already, being from a farm myself, but an equine practice sounds a good way to go if I'm unable to find a L.A practice- one left to try. Thanks again.
Original post by Treen98
Thanks I may try an equine practice, as I have loads of hands on farm experience already, being from a farm myself, but an equine practice sounds a good way to go if I'm unable to find a L.A practice- one left to try. Thanks again.

It all depends on how far you can travel as well, I was asking practices which were an hour away from my house which would of meant a lot of driving for a week or so. Go to your upper limits try every single L.A practice you can get too.
Original post by Treen98
Hi vet med hopefuls!

The answer is that you just have to keep on trying to find one who will take you! Large animal vets is VERY beneficial, and for some unis, it is essential.

Try travelling further afield - if you can stay at family/friends in a different part of the country, or go camping, or go to a B&B. For my large animal vets I stayed with a family friend in a different part of the country who would drop me off 3 hours before the practice actually opened (I was there at 6am, I couldn't drive then), and I literally stood in the wind and rain until it opened. So the bottom line is that you need to keep trying and look further afield.
Original post by Treen98
Hi vet med hopefuls!

Yes. I'm struggling!
I'm trying to get a LA so I can get a farm.
Any help? I live just to the east of London
Original post by daniel1005
It all depends on how far you can travel as well, I was asking practices which were an hour away from my house which would of meant a lot of driving for a week or so. Go to your upper limits try every single L.A practice you can get too.

An hour! Every place I've found is a 3 hour+ drive
Reply 8
Just be aware farm experience on your own farm/with your own animals and sometimes even with close family may not be counted. They want to see you branch out, and try and make it fair to those students not coming from a farming background.

Otherwise I agree with what others have said. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by pphilip99
An hour! Every place I've found is a 3 hour+ drive

What!? Driving 3 hours everyday? If so that's determination!
Reply 10
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely look at LA practices further afield now :smile:
Work in a vet reception voluntarily?
Original post by Treen98
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll definitely look at LA practices further afield now :smile:

Which places are you thinking of applying to? I'm in the same boat unfortunately and I won't have done any LA vet work until after the application deadline. I emailed some places to ask whether this would be an issue. If you drop me a PM I'll let you know who said what :smile:

Original post by hellodave5
Work in a vet reception voluntarily?

Lol
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Which places are you thinking of applying to? I'm in the same boat unfortunately and I won't have done any LA vet work until after the application deadline. I emailed some places to ask whether this would be an issue. If you drop me a PM I'll let you know who said what :smile:

Lol

Why lol? If you get your foot in the door... You can do other stuff with them too. Make connections in the field as well. It still counts as experience in the environment.
Original post by hellodave5
Why lol? If you get your foot in the door... You can do other stuff with them too. Make connections in the field as well. It still counts as experience in the environment.

Yes thank you.
Original post by daniel1005
What!? Driving 3 hours everyday? If so that's determination!

My mum doesn't drive, so it's actually public transport. Result: it has to be with accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending