The Student Room Group

Things I could do at 16 to give myself the best possible chance at success?

As dramatic as the title sounds, I’ve just turned 16. I’ve got my sights set on Cambridge Veterinary eventually, and do as well as I’m able in school.

However, I’m fully aware grades aren’t enough anymore. Not only that, though, but I think it’s such a positive thing to do external work (more for self-development, and perspective).

Anyway, to cut through my rambling, does anyone have any suggestion on things I could be doing (volunteering opportunities, work experience, courses etc..) I’m open to everything!

Thanks!
For Cambridge, do the right subjects and get good grades. I'd recommend Biology, Chemistry and at least other Physics / Maths. Work experience is great but not strictly required and supercurriculars generally help. There isn't a secret formula other than being good at your subject and being a good future vet.
Reply 2
Original post by melancollege
For Cambridge, do the right subjects and get good grades. I'd recommend Biology, Chemistry and at least other Physics / Maths. Work experience is great but not strictly required and supercurriculars generally help. There isn't a secret formula other than being good at your subject and being a good future vet.

Thank you! I’ve chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths and an EPQ. So, I think I’ve set myself up in a good position in terms of veterinary. Unfortunately, the school I’m at right now doesn’t offer any other extracurriculars other than choir, which isn’t something I’m very interested in. I hope when I move onto A-Level they’ll be a few more opportunities. Thanks for your response :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
As dramatic as the title sounds, I’ve just turned 16. I’ve got my sights set on Cambridge Veterinary eventually, and do as well as I’m able in school.

However, I’m fully aware grades aren’t enough anymore. Not only that, though, but I think it’s such a positive thing to do external work (more for self-development, and perspective).

Anyway, to cut through my rambling, does anyone have any suggestion on things I could be doing (volunteering opportunities, work experience, courses etc..) I’m open to everything!

Thanks!
Hey,

Having a goal in mind is great and will give you a drive. Just be cautious to look after yourself too and not let ambition stress you out and not give yourself the best chance.

Academically: Try your best and your hard work will be rewarded. Find study routines that work for you and fit into your life. As you complete exams in school you'll develop and grow. It will be stressful but do your best and don't let pressure overcome and hold you back.

Socially/Personally: Whilst striving for your goal be sure to take time for yourself and wellbeing. This might be catching up with friends, going to the movies, reading. Make sure to give time for yourself to live in the present and not always focused on what is to come that you miss today.

Other opportunities: Your other post says that the school do not offer much but I would still try asking your careers / guidance teacher if they know of any opportunities. Perhaps contact local businesses to see if there are any work experience / shadowing opportunities. Consider part-time work as this will build skills and experience. If you can, use the holidays to work / gain experience.

Wish you all the best and hope that opportunities come your way!
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
try get a volunteering role at a veterinary practice if u can as well as lots of work experience there. Showing compassion and empathy is something that will boost ur application signficantly. Goodluck!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you! I’ve chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, English, Maths and an EPQ. So, I think I’ve set myself up in a good position in terms of veterinary. Unfortunately, the school I’m at right now doesn’t offer any other extracurriculars other than choir, which isn’t something I’m very interested in. I hope when I move onto A-Level they’ll be a few more opportunities. Thanks for your response :smile:

Just as a note extracurriculars that are unrelated to your subject are unlikely to affect your chances of admission. Supercurriculars are what will actually help. This could be things like reading books about your subject, Olympiads and other academic competitions, podcasts on veterinary medicine, work experience, that sort of thing.
As a Cambridge student, of course learning how to study and reading around Vet Med is important, alongside any work experience or anything you might want to do, but Id also argue that learning to look after yourself, so things like cooking, cleaning, what types of exercise you like, how much social time you like, etc is really worthwhile. You’ll be a step ahead when you get to uni if you learn those things now!
Reply 7
I think you're already way ahead of the curve if you've set your sights on a course and uni so well done to you. The key is always going to be your A level results. Look at what Cambridge want for admissions and work towards achieving them. Also note Cambridge now want ESATs which is a new test but there should be more info by the time you're applying so watch that space and get as much information about it and prepare as best you can. Hopefully all this results in an interview which is the key to getting an offer.

Like all interviews for any subject, the interviewers are looking for passion about the course. For Vet Med, Cambridge say they look for only 10 days of work experience. However, there are ways to immerse yourself in the profession and get a real feel for what you're going to be letting yourself in for. Look for online forums where you can read and join into discussions. Get a feel for topical issues in the profession. Read news about vet med on the BBC/national newspapers. Immerse yourself in the world you want to join. All this will start to pay off over time especially at the interview. Passion is the biggest discriminator at the interview. Those who are in the profession will spot it a mile off in the little things you say.

Good luck and I hope that in 3 years time you're posting here about your offer from Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending