The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Woo hoo! Someone else who goes back on Thursday! Everyone I know goes back on Monday/Tuesday, but I'm in Paris util Wednesday. :biggrin:

I would look forward to this year if I wasn't entering it as "The Loner" xD More excited for sixth form and "being legal" :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evekip

Is it just my school where people start being prefects in the middle of Year 9 then haha? What sort of privileges do you get too? There isn't any to my knowledge at our school apart from a meal near the end of Year 11 and a different tie... :s

I suppose having control over the really cocky younger kids would be fun haha, I'm shorter than a lot of them though so I'd probably be trampled all over by them. One of my friends, on the other hand, is about 6 foot tall and he takes great pleasure in terrifying 12 year olds...

I guess prefecting just isn't for me hahaha, I just wondered since there's some people in my year who are quite obsessive over it and I wondered why :P

Oh and I go back properly on the 4th, only a week left of holiday. D:

We are allowed to be a prefect from year 10 but most people see that as a punishment because of the tasks, the sixth form ones get the priviledges :') and our year 10-11 prefects get a gold thread band around the edge of their blazer because we don't wear ties (a girls' school).

Yeah, there are some younger ones I would love to have control over too :') and yeah, some teachers look at you differently if you're a prefect and choose you to do special tasks because you're a prefect....it depends on the school really :smile:
- Introduce yourself!
- What subjects are you taking?
- What are you hoping to do after finishing Year 11?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- How do you feel about going into Year 11?

Hey! I'm Bes :smile:

I'm taking GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature, Triple Science, Geography, Spanish and Art (just because they wouldn't let me take French, the meanies :/)

After year 11, I want to take A Levels. (I'm so excited about not having to do science anymore, it's unreal!)

I want to take
* Spanish
* English Literature
* Further Maths
* Business/Economics/Classical Civilisation
* GCSE Latin as an extra :smile:

I have the option to attend two sixth forms at the same time, so hopefully I will be able to get all of my first choices. :smile:

After A Levels, I want to study International Business and Modern Languages (Spanish & French/German) at Newcastle, Strathclyde or Essex. (They let you do two languages with one from scratch, yay!)

My hobbies are reading (I read too much!), dancing, making flash cards and then never actually using them, trying to read spanish books, swimming and spending way too much time on the internet. I'm really interested in different cultural societies and I want to live abroad one day.

I'm actually really looking forward to starting year 11. I've had a rough four years up until this point, and I've had a few small bouts of depression and anxiety, so being able to walk into the school on the first of September for the last time and be able to say that I have only nine months left at this school before study leave is a really welcome thought. The only subject that is concerning me somewhat at the moment is science, because I really don't know how we're going to have time study two entire courses (additional and further) and have them revised well enough to take the exams in just nine months, but I'm getting my revision materials ready already so I'm quietly confident.

Getting an A* in core science and all of my English coursework has really boosted my confidence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Its_Tito
Guys, I know this is thestudentroom and we're all education junkies...but who's excited for the relaxing/fun part of year 11? 'Sweet 16' parties, Prom, end of exams, last day, prepping for sixth form? Having more responsibility, so on and so on...I am anyway!

YAY PROM! YAY SIXTH FORM! I'm really really excited! :biggrin:

I think my mum is sick of hearing about the sixth forms that I am going to be applying to, aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavishLinguist
- Introduce yourself!
- What subjects are you taking?
- What are you hoping to do after finishing Year 11?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- How do you feel about going into Year 11?

Hey! I'm Bes :smile:

I'm taking GCSEs in Maths, English Language, English Literature, Triple Science, Geography, Spanish and Art (just because they wouldn't let me take French, the meanies :/)

After year 11, I want to take A Levels. (I'm so excited about not having to do science anymore, it's unreal!)

I want to take
* Spanish :biggrin:
* English Literature
* Further Maths
* Business/Economics/Classical Civilisation
* GCSE Latin as an extra :smile:

I have the option to attend two sixth forms at the same time, so hopefully I will be able to get all of my first choices. :smile:

After A Levels, I want to study International Business and Modern Languages (Spanish & French/German) at Newcastle, Strathclyde or Essex. (They let you do two languages with one from scratch, yay!)

My hobbies are reading (I read too much!), dancing, making flash cards and then never actually using them, trying to read spanish books, swimming and spending way too much time on the internet. I'm really interested in different cultural societies and I want to live abroad one day.

I'm actually really looking forward to starting year 11. I've had a rough four years up until this point, and I've had a few small bouts of depression and anxiety, so being able to walk into the school on the first of September for the last time and be able to say that I have only nine months left at this school before study leave is a really welcome thought. The only subject that is concerning me somewhat at the moment is science, because I really don't know how we're going to have time study two entire courses (additional and further) and have them revised well enough to take the exams in just nine months, but I'm getting my revision materials ready already so I'm quietly confident.

Getting an A* in core science and all of my English coursework has really boosted my confidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think my mum is sick of hearing about the sixth forms that I am going to be applying to, aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha my mum isn't, I'm just staying on because my school's pretty good :') I actually can't wait! My mum's letting me go full out, limo and all that if I want with some friends.

I know some people think it's a waste of money when you're 16, but it's one of the milestones we have and possibly the last time with close mates so why not!
Haha my mum isn't, I'm just staying on because my school's pretty good :') I actually can't wait! My mum's letting me go full out, limo and all that if I want with some friends.

I know some people think it's a waste of money when you're 16, but it's one of the milestones we have and possibly the last time with close mates so why not!

My school doesn't have one (thankfully), so my parents have given me the choice, and I'm kind of obsessed with talking about it :P

You should definitely go full out for your birthday! You only get so many special occasions in your life to celebrate, especially milestones, so do it! :smile:

Personally, my extended family and I are just going to go out to an Italian restaurant together to celebrate my 16th birthday, but that's because it's what I wanted to do, as it's the only time that we ever really all get together. I think we're going on holiday next summer as a belated-birthday-post-gcse type celebration too, but that doesn't really count! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school doesn't have one (thankfully), so my parents have given me the choice, and I'm kind of obsessed with talking about it :P

You should definitely go full out for your birthday! You only get so many special occasions in your life to celebrate, especially milestones, so do it! :smile:

Personally, my extended family and I are just going to go out to an Italian restaurant together to celebrate my 16th birthday, but that's because it's what I wanted to do, as it's the only time that we ever really all get together. I think we're going on holiday next summer as a belated-birthday-post-gcse type celebration too, but that doesn't really count! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oohh awesome! I would do a party, but I don't think I would know enough people to invite so I might just do a dinner with some friends or something...my birthday's in April so right in the middle of intense revision season :')
Oohh awesome! I would do a party, but I don't think I would know enough people to invite so I might just do a dinner with some friends or something...my birthday's in April so right in the middle of intense revision season :')

Mines in April too :smile: I might do the same even though everyone will be too worked up with revision that they won't be able to come :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 669

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so excited for all the things too! Proper pumped for college and doing subjects I actually like hahaha!

And hi by the way, I see you're good at languages then? I suck at Spanish haha, it's one of my worst subjects.

Yeah, it irritates me so much when people are really snobby about not going to prom? And I think me and my mates are getting a bus? Like not a fancy bus, you can hire sketty public transport buses for stuff so I reckon that's the way forward. :'D

Also what's it like being at an all-girls school? I can't imagine that at all omg I don't know if I'd love it or hate it :s

And has anyone else got an idea of what they want for prom dresses yet?
Original post by Kauther99
Mines in April too :smile: I might do the same even though everyone will be too worked up with revision that they won't be able to come :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine's always Easter Holidays too...ugh
Original post by evekip
Yeah, it irritates me so much when people are really snobby about not going to prom? And I think me and my mates are getting a bus? Like not a fancy bus, you can hire sketty public transport buses for stuff so I reckon that's the way forward. :'D

Also what's it like being at an all-girls school? I can't imagine that at all omg I don't know if I'd love it or hate it :s

And has anyone else got an idea of what they want for prom dresses yet?

Ah that would be a proper laugh, have fun :')

Honestly, I think I prefer it....there are some lessons that I think, if guys were involved they would be awkward/pointless/irritating or just a pain to sit through. And I'm quite lucky in the fact that we have the boys' equivalent of my school in the same gates, right next to us. We share a canteen at different times and get the same buses and all that, so we still see the guys.

I honestly love it, you can have the choice of being with your girls or hanging out with the guys at different times :')

I want my dress to be blue I think....it's just a good colour for me, or maybe black :smile: hbu?
Reply 672
Ah that would be a proper laugh, have fun :')

Honestly, I think I prefer it....there are some lessons that I think, if guys were involved they would be awkward/pointless/irritating or just a pain to sit through. And I'm quite lucky in the fact that we have the boys' equivalent of my school in the same gates, right next to us. We share a canteen at different times and get the same buses and all that, so we still see the guys.

I honestly love it, you can have the choice of being with your girls or hanging out with the guys at different times :')

I want my dress to be blue I think....it's just a good colour for me, or maybe black :smile: hbu?

The way you put it having an all-girls school sounds pretty awesome? Like I'm used to always having boys around in lessons but they're so irritating sometimes omg, but then it'd be so weird if they weren't there haha

I love black dresses for prom personally, not so many people go for it so it stands out more. :smile: A girl at my school went in a full lace black dress to prom this year and it looked so amazing omg

I'm not sure about the colour yet, like dark green and burgundy are the best colours for me, but some styles only really suit paler colours. :frown: As for style, I'm tempted towards a long dress, but no idea what particular fit yet, I like mermaid silhouette ones but they can be way OTT with dumb netting and stuff, so maybe just a chiffon a-line one. It's a struggle haha, this is probably going to stress me out more than exams?
Hi 😄 Just joined the thread! I'm studying English language and literature, maths, triple science, German, Spanish, history, geography, IT and short course R.E. I'm thinking of taking maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for A-Level. I enjoy playing football, hockey and reading. Looking forward to year 11 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

By extended family, I meant including my two great uncles, so that's about 9-10 people in total, haha :smile: Not quite a party, just a really large table! Mine is in November, so I'm hoping that I'm going to be free from revision around then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evekip
The way you put it having an all-girls school sounds pretty awesome? Like I'm used to always having boys around in lessons but they're so irritating sometimes omg, but then it'd be so weird if they weren't there haha

I love black dresses for prom personally, not so many people go for it so it stands out more. :smile: A girl at my school went in a full lace black dress to prom this year and it looked so amazing omg

I'm not sure about the colour yet, like dark green and burgundy are the best colours for me, but some styles only really suit paler colours. :frown: As for style, I'm tempted towards a long dress, but no idea what particular fit yet, I like mermaid silhouette ones but they can be way OTT with dumb netting and stuff, so maybe just a chiffon a-line one. It's a struggle haha, this is probably going to stress me out more than exams?

Haha yeah, with me it's like if boys were there it would be weird because I'm so used to it :')

Yeah exactly, and I've been told I look good in black dresses so maybe :smile: that sounds gorgeous wow

I know, same...I'm going January shopping with my mum, loads of sales apparently :smile: I definitely want a long one, I think the short ones I've seen don't look as classy but I guess it depends on the dress...and I love chiffon everything so that'd be good
By extended family, I meant including my two great uncles, so that's about 9-10 people in total, haha :smile: Not quite a party, just a really large table! Mine is in November, so I'm hoping that I'm going to be free from revision around then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well hopefully, apart from mocks :smile: sounds awesome, some proper family time and jokes!
Haha yeah, with me it's like if boys were there it would be weird because I'm so used to it :')

Yeah exactly, and I've been told I look good in black dresses so maybe :smile: that sounds gorgeous wow

I know, same...I'm going January shopping with my mum, loads of sales apparently :smile: I definitely want a long one, I think the short ones I've seen don't look as classy but I guess it depends on the dress...and I love chiffon everything so that'd be good

I would LOVE to go to an all girls school. I love the traditionalism of it all - that, and boys are aggravating. I want to be a greenfly.

I would love to have quite a long dress, maybe in navy blue because apparently it's 'my colour', and something that actually looks like a 'proper' prom dress :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well hopefully, apart from mocks :smile: sounds awesome, some proper family time and jokes!

Ugh, mocks :/

The bane of my existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 679

Yeah, I agree that so many of the short ones can look pretty trashy (stuff like this: http://www.victoriasdress.co.uk/a-line-sweetheart-tulle-watermelon-cocktail-dresses-short-prom-dress-with-beading-fd192.html ) If I were to go for a a short one it'd be 50s style one. :smile:

I'm not sure when to start looking to be honest? I'm debating whether to get one online since on most sites selling them you can put in measurements and get it specially made, so that'd be good for the height issue, but then I'm concerned it would be worse than in the picture. :s

I would LOVE to go to an all girls school. I love the traditionalism of it all - that, and boys are aggravating. I want to be a greenfly.

I would love to have quite a long dress, maybe in navy blue because apparently it's 'my colour', and something that actually looks like a 'proper' prom dress :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Navy would look lovely too, basically I just like darker colours more? And what are you counting as a proper prom dress, just something generally elegant or the big american style ones haha?

And I see what you mean about the traditionalness (I feel like that isn't a word but oh well) of an all girls school? I reckon I would've loved to have gone to a boarding school for that reason (And I read too much?)

And I agree about mocks ugh like I realise they're to get you into exam mode and stuff but I feel like by year 11 everybody understands the system and that you have to revise and how to sit in the gym correctly, we've been doing it since the first year. :/ I'd rather just have before christmas to focus on coursework and stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest