The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unibuster325
The Bechdel test proves nothing. There can be TV shows/films that contain strong independent women which don't pass the test. It's criteria is limited.

On occasion the criteria can be limited (eg multiple groups of characters with women who never meet each other, for example). But I don't think the 'have two women' requirement is a particularly taxing one, yet many shows and movies seem to fail at the first hurdle. The world is 50% women, it would be great if television would reflect that.

Also I would argue that Moffat's problem is that he can only create 'strong independent women' ie women who are exactly the same, talk the same way, make the same choices, are 'feisty' or whatever. That is the problem. The women are cookie-cutter moulds of each other, whereas all the men have a variety of characteristics and motivations. It'd be great to see a range of women, even damsels in distress. Multifaceted, distinct characters are what is needed.

The Bechdel test is a great starting point for discussing the female content in TV though, and I think the statistics do show that Moffat's record is nowhere near as good as RTD's.
Original post by pinkpenguin
On occasion the criteria can be limited (eg multiple groups of characters with women who never meet each other, for example). But I don't think the 'have two women' requirement is a particularly taxing one, yet many shows and movies seem to fail at the first hurdle. The world is 50% women, it would be great if television would reflect that.

Also I would argue that Moffat's problem is that he can only create 'strong independent women' ie women who are exactly the same, talk the same way, make the same choices, are 'feisty' or whatever. That is the problem. The women are cookie-cutter moulds of each other, whereas all the men have a variety of characteristics and motivations. It'd be great to see a range of women, even damsels in distress. Multifaceted, distinct characters are what is needed.

The Bechdel test is a great starting point for discussing the female content in TV though, and I think the statistics do show that Moffat's record is nowhere near as good as RTD's.

But the Moffat Era does feature a wide range of women. We've had a young girl trapped in a fiesty woman's body who can't let go of her fairytale fantasies (Amy), a flirtatious professor/Doctor who has a number of adventures with and without the Doctor(River), a evil and very twisted kidnapper hell-bent on murder(Madam Kovarian) and a curious wannabe explorer who loves looking after kids(Clara). That's quite a bit of variation.
(edited 9 years ago)
I saw a very interesting post on Tumblr which said that the scene in which The Doctor is complaining that Clara isn't 'seeing him' draws parallels to him not seeing Martha Jones, and basically treating her as second class. :holmes:
The Bechdel test proves nothing. There can be TV shows/films that contain strong independent women which don't pass the test. It's criteria is limited.

I didn't claim that it was a perfect test, but it doesn't 'prove nothing'. Those figures show, for example, that female characters are getting much less screen time than was the case under Russell T Davies.

Personally, I think the reason for the number of Moffatt episodes failing the Bechdel Test is symptomatic of Moffatt's writing - it's all about the Doctor. It used to be the case that he would go around finding adventures, but every Moffatt season has been about some epic storyline centring around the character of the Doctor. So it's natural that, under those circumstances, there would be fewer conversations between female characters about something other than a man - because they are always talking about the Doctor.
Original post by Feefifofum
I didn't claim that it was a perfect test, but it doesn't 'prove nothing'. Those figures show, for example, that female characters are getting much less screen time than was the case under Russell T Davies.

How does that show anything?

The Bechdel Test sets out to prove sexism and the lack of women screen time doesn't prove that at all. The entire thing relies too much on talking, whereas some scenes without talking can convey so much more.
Personally, I think the reason for the number of Moffatt episodes failing the Bechdel Test is symptomatic of Moffatt's writing - it's all about the Doctor.

And it has been for the last 50 years. The show is called 'Doctor Who', not 'The Doctor's Companion'.
It used to be the case that he would go around finding adventures, but every Moffatt season has been about some epic storyline centring around the character of the Doctor.
Series 7 didn't revolve entirely around the Doctor. It also partly explored a mystery arc surrounding Clara too. That's just one example I can think of.

So it's natural that, under those circumstances, there would be fewer conversations between female characters about something other than a man - because they are always talking about the Doctor.

If you look on Gallifrey Base, you'll find that's not true.

Gallifrey Base has done it's own Bechdel Test and more Steven Moffat episodes have passed than with the one we're discussing.
I thought considering the 50th episode and matts last episode this new season would involve exploring gallafray a bit more and bringing it back? Is this a wrong assumption to make because I think this season - well first half - will be focused on clara and finding out who missy is and what she wants!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pinkpenguin

Yet the first thing that would happen if there was a timid female companion people would cry sexism by saying that women are portrayed as weak.

You can't win in these situations because someone will find a problem with anything.
Original post by drbluebox
Yet the first thing that would happen if there was a timid female companion people would cry sexism by saying that women are portrayed as weak.

You can't win in these situations because someone will find a problem with anything.

Not necessarily, if the timid-ness was well-portrayed and explainable based on the character's life or experiences, then that's a well rounded character.

If she was timid purely to facilitate the Doctor fixing or saving her, then that's a weak character as her personality can't exist without the Doctor interacting with her.

I'll be clear about what my problem with Moffat has been again - all of his women have been very very similar. 'Feisty' and in love with the Doctor.

The difference between Rose and Donna, however, was much stronger, and made them distinct and well-rounded female characters. Martha was a bit of a blip as she was a Rose-clone, but when they developed her in later series they redeemed her a little.

I was enjoying Clara right up until the end of last season when it became clear that she was in love with the Doctor. Before that, she was autonomous, and despite having a similar personality to Amy, made distinct choices. But after? Nope.
The brief glimpse we saw for the next episode looks promising. Darleks (and not your stupid red, blue and white power ranger darleks) killing and the doctor trying to stop them. It looks potentially a darker episode which is good. I swear if there is any *bongs* *thumps* or any other stupid noises am going to just face palm and go watch something else.

The only time back in the day was when tenant was smacking the tardis with a mallet! Not when someone gets knock unconscious.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Paternoster gang - No need for so much development of them on what is Capaldi's first episode. I want him and Clara not unecessary scenes of Strax (who still is just a walking joke) giving Clara a medical. Also the d/s undertones didn't really sit well with me as a kids show and having the kiss be another kiss of necessity made it feel rather forced. We get that Jenny and Vastra are a thing, and that's brilliant and I believe them but I would hope we were slightly past that point.

I feel these people are so shoehorned into the series. I don't even remember their origins, probably thanks to Moffatt's weird, overly complex 6th and 7th serieses. It's almost like they're saying to the audience "hey kids, whoa what is going on? Whoa they used to be villains! Whooo whoa [insert random quip about something contemporary which seems irrelevant to the time frame here]". There's no development and I think what annoys me most is how they're set up to be a generic rag tag group of detectives.

It's like they want to do a spin off when all the spin offs suck, even Torchwood was basically a Doctor Who episode except with shoehorned swearing, nudity and violence, it never felt like a show for adults.

Also, what was annoying me is how the makers constantly shoehorn homosexuality into the show but they don't have the balls to write a gay male companion's relationship with the Doctor. It's kind of like showing off some nonsense liberalism like a quota rather than actually meaning it. It's always 'hey there's another random gay extra in this episode showing off that they can show gay things on telly'. There's often no reason for any sexuality to be shown off, it's like they're trying to spite someone incredibly cheaply.
Reply 3530
Original post by Snagprophet
I feel these people are so shoehorned into the series. I don't even remember their origins, probably thanks to Moffatt's weird, overly complex 6th and 7th serieses. It's almost like they're saying to the audience "hey kids, whoa what is going on? Whoa they used to be villains! Whooo whoa [insert random quip about something contemporary which seems irrelevant to the time frame here]". There's no development and I think what annoys me most is how they're set up to be a generic rag tag group of detectives.

It's like they want to do a spin off when all the spin offs suck, even Torchwood was basically a Doctor Who episode except with shoehorned swearing, nudity and violence, it never felt like a show for adults.

Also, what was annoying me is how the makers constantly shoehorn homosexuality into the show but they don't have the balls to write a gay male companion's relationship with the Doctor. It's kind of like showing off some nonsense liberalism like a quota rather than actually meaning it. It's always 'hey there's another random gay extra in this episode showing off that they can show gay things on telly'. There's often no reason for any sexuality to be shown off, it's like they're trying to spite someone incredibly cheaply.

I thought Torchwood was good personally (especially seasons 1 & 2), I would not like a spin off with this gang though

Personally I really cared for these characters, so it made the show good for me

You never really got scenes like this on Doctor Who:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stevelee
The brief glimpse we saw for the next episode looks promising. Darleks (and not your stupid red, blue and white power ranger darleks) killing and the doctor trying to stop them. It looks potentially a darker episode which is good. I swear if there is any *bongs* *thumps* or any other stupid noises am going to just face palm and go watch something else.

The only time back in the day was when tenant was smacking the tardis with a mallet! Not when someone gets knock unconscious.

Everything I've read about Into The Dalek suggests it is quite a action-packed episode. Sounds like a series 7 part 1-esque episode to me. Sounds like Phil Ford was inspired by Die Hard, as he describes it as 'Doctor Who meets Die Hard' in the latest DWM.
Everything I've read about Into The Dalek suggests it is quite a action-packed episode. Sounds like a series 7 part 1-esque episode to me. Sounds like Phil Ford was inspired by Die Hard, as he describes it as 'Doctor Who meets Die Hard' in the latest DWM.

Am not sure what to expect... I hope it is good!
Reply 3533
This is going to be spectacular!

*Hopefully*
That was such a great ep :biggrin: Loved it :h:
Reply 3535
Called it.

Stunner of an episode. :woo:
Fantastic episode. :awesome:
Well that was a weird episode, trying to turn a dalek ..good, and the consequence of his actions. A bit of "deep" episode, it was good and a whole lot better than last weeks episode :biggrin: Though it's rather strange seeing the Doctor just jumping into his companions lives now and then. Seems less like an adventure in space & time, especially without the music we've become accustomed to.

A lot more questions, and the character of Missy is even more intriguing.

Next week's episode looks really good, back to an adventure:jive:

also where are the updated polls?
(edited 9 years ago)
that was awesome :biggrin:

Spoiler

9/10 for me, it was that good & I already love Capaldi's doctor, next week looks a bit naff from first glance though

Spoiler

Reply 3539
The only thing I picked up

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest