The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Can't be - we saw the half faced man impaled on the weather vane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I thought he was still moving, but on closer inspection it looked like the wind was blowing him about :shifty:
I like this new series. Was expected much worse. I like the character development of the Dr. That veil metaphor for the Dr's regeneration in the first episode was pretty smart. I really enjoy Capaldi as the Dr.

But there's so much fluff I don't like. Unlike Rose and Martha, Clara is an empty character for me. There's little development in her character that does nto revolve around the Dr. The whole lesbian alien relationship is just a gimmick. All the males around them are bumbling idiots, they're super good fighters, yawn. It's trying to be edgy but it's just contrived. The gimmick can't even decide whether it's a "oh yeah homosexuality and women are equals get on with it" or "ooh, we're lesbos, deal with it, i judge you bcus ur judging me, men are dumb, look how empowered we are", so it does both, which breaks the direction of the text. The characters amount to nothing outside that gimmick, and they contribute to the text in no ways outside that gimmick. Moffat's a competent writer, I just wish he'd cut this nonsense out ffs.

And the annoying fact that that it ignores historical influence. Victorian Britain are just like "meh" when a dinosaur (bigger than any actually existing dinosaur of that type) dinosaur starts rampaging over London. What the actual ****. Also, the human lesbian's development is in no way affected by the Victorian culture she comes from. it's like she's a 21st centurary lesbian. She has no guilt, no doubt, no journey in discovering herself. I mean that's just actually juvenile, and furthers the point her character does not actually exist outside a gimmick.
(edited 9 years ago)
While it's probably the Rani if it's a previous character at all, but to go a bit more out there, what about Missy being the TARDIS? It would explain calling him boyfriend, similar personality to The Doctor's Wife and she's transporting people who the Doctor has inadvertently killed (presuming he didn't push Half-face) and keeping them in the same reality as River, as the previous location and bright lighting. Lord knows why but hey-o.

Original post by Feefifofum

Also, Journey Blue (Zawe Ashton) is my godsister :awesome:

That... Is really cool. Barring Tamsin Greig I would want her to be the Doctor if they were to go female :3
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
That... Is really cool. Barring Tamsin Greig I would want her to be the Doctor if they were to go female :3

Think I've watched too much Fresh Meat- I got a vision of her being a version of the Doctor who goes around swearing and doing lines of coke off the TARDIS console. I don't think the BBC would be comissioning that somehow!
What do we make the Pink/Blue connection, and Blue thinking Clara might not like soldiers?

And any ideas who the non-soldier Blue killed might be?

---

I'm a bit confused by how the Missy thing is gonna make any sense, but guess that's the point, and it will all work out eventually...
Is it just me, or did that last episode deliberately allude to the 9th Dr's first meeting with a Dalek?
Reply 3606
Original post by KingStannis
Is it just me, or did that last episode deliberately allude to the 9th Dr's first meeting with a Dalek?

Their were tons of references to the 9th doctor

I know what you mean... they could have made it a lot less similar :s-smilie:
Original post by getfunky!
Interesting indeed, and the 'you're a good Dalek' line was so subtle, they didn't pay much attention to it. I think the "darker" persona comes about randomly through a regeneration and his past, he did seemingly wipe out most of the Daleks and Time Lords in the war, so he's had blood on his hands.. but now that it didn't take place and it was all rewritten, I'm left confused, why does he seem angrier but has sort of rectified his biggest mistakes. It'll probably be explained later on in the series and will likely tie in with all the loose ends, what happened to Gallifrey etc. They haven't said much at all of what happened between the 50th anniversary and the start of this series.

It is getting overly complicated now despite only two episodes, series 5 seemed so much simpler, but Robin Hood next week:wizard:

YAY! Robin Hood! That's true :biggrin:
And yeah I thought that was strange they made it subtle as it seems so important. The doctor is a good Dalek. He shares similarities with the very thing he absolutely hates. And I agree, I don't get it either. Gah that doesn't make it simple xD I like it when everything is explained straight away so I don't have to try and remember what happened earlier! I think they should have. It's so annoying when they leave bits out. It's like they can't be bothered to write in what happened so they're just like "Naahh, we'll just get into the action and forget about the other bits". It's so frustrating :tongue:

I like going deeper into the characters though and I felt they did that in the first and the second episode. Like when Capaldi left Clara OOOOOOOOOOOO: I actually hated him then, I felt so bad for her even if he came back afterwards. Plus the bit with Capaldi being a Dalek is so insightful. I love bits like that! I prefer understanding the characters, even though the danger that surrounds them does help with that.
EEEEEP I love Doctor who! I've missed it so much! :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
What do we make the Pink/Blue connection, and Blue thinking Clara might not like soldiers?

And any ideas who the non-soldier Blue killed might be?

---

I'm a bit confused by how the Missy thing is gonna make any sense, but guess that's the point, and it will all work out eventually...

I assumed that the pink/blue thing was just to hammer home the connection between the two soldiers and the similarities and contrasts between them, as well as seeing how the Doctor and Clara have different opinions on the subject. But there might be more to it...
Original post by snowyowl
Seriously, you made an Ofcom complaint?

Do you only expect characters on TV to have opinions that reflect yours? The Doctor has never liked anything that involves the military or guns. It's not a new thing. The amount of times (even in Classic Who) he's told people off for bringing in the military or shooting at things...

I'm glad the Doctor still doesn't like soldiers. It's always been his character and I don't see why that should now be changed.

He's not been that anti-soldier before(really just anti-guns) though He was friends with Brigadier and He always would accept people despite past mistakes but this Doctor says "you shouldn't have been a soldier" this goes directly against his character who is supposed to see goodness in people and be forgiving.Its not just The Doctor though Clara's comments were insensitive like how being a soldier is about shooting people and the morality is crying afterwards.The episode seemed to contain about 4/5 attacks on soldiers which is unacceptable and incorrect views should be attacked by another character in the show so that people know the truth.
I think the references are deliberate. We have two episodes now that hark back to previous episodes and previous Dr's. my theory is that the development of the new Dr finding his personality is going to be played through a series of events that play out similarly to predicaments of the other Dr's.

In this episode we saw the rage and war forged nature of the 9th Dr come out. His mind was fully of hate for the Daleks, which is similar to how the 9th Dr was before Rose helped him see another light. This can be linked to the emerging disconnect between the Dr and his companion; his companion is not connecting with him enough to steer him in a new light, and therefore he is reverting to previous incarnations of himself. Unlike the 9th Dr, he has no one to develop his personality.

last episode we had allusions to tenant's Dr and the time portals. instead of focusing on the robot aspect, we should be focusing on the being separated from Madam De Pompodor through his time travelling. He is isolated because he is in the wrong time, and this was a major character arc with the tenth Dr. It emphasizes again that this Dr is isolated due to his nature being a time traveler and unable to connect with people for long; because he regenerates. In the Clocks episode, he can see his love's life occurring through windows of time, witnessing her life but not being able to share it. This allusion could easily symbolise the rift between Clara and him as Clara becomes alienated by his new looks and personality.

So, the character development of the 12th Dr is being mapped out by allusions to previous incarnations. The question that remains is, is this just clever self referential character development from Moffat, or is this some kind of plan from the lady at the end of both episodes, manipulating the Dr's journeys fro some unknown reason?

Discuss.
(edited 9 years ago)
finally getting to watch it now!!! :excited:
Clara is an empty character for me..

Empty? Really? Did you miss Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor and last night's Into The Dalek?
I think the references are deliberate. We have two episodes now that hark back to previous episodes and previous Dr's. my theory is that the development of the new Dr finding his personality is going to be played through a series of events that play out similarly to predicaments of the other Dr's.

In this episode we saw the rage and war forged nature of the 9th Dr come out. His mind was fully of hate for the Daleks, which is similar to how the 9th Dr was before Rose helped him see another light. This can be linked to the emerging disconnect between the Dr and his companion; his companion is not connecting with him enough to steer him in a new light, and therefore he is reverting to previous incarnations of himself. Unlike the 9th Dr, he has no one to develop his personality.

last episode we had allusions to tenant's Dr and the time portals. instead of focusing on the robot aspect, we should be focusing on the being separated from Madam De Pompodor through his time travelling. He is isolated because he is in the wrong time, and this was a major character arc with the tenth Dr. It emphasizes again that this Dr is isolated due to his nature being a time traveler and unable to connect with people for long; because he regenerates. In the Clocks episode, he can see his love's life occurring through windows of time, witnessing her life but not being able to share it. This allusion could easily symbolise the rift between Clara and him as Clara becomes alienated by his new looks and personality.

So, the character development of the 12th Dr is being mapped out by allusions to previous incarnations. The question that remains is, is this just clever self referential character development from Moffat, or is this some kind of plan from the lady at the end of both episodes, manipulating the Dr's journeys fro some unknown reason?

Discuss.

You sir, are a genius. I reckon it's clever character work from Moffat, but he'll cover it up with a plan from the new lady

Posted from TSR Mobile
After last weeks fairly unmemorable debut, it was good to see Dr Who return to form this week. Although the whole "Fantastic Voyage" idea has been parodied so often that it is hard to pull off seriously, it just about managed it and resulted in the most meaningful Dalek story since 2005's Dalek.

Next week: Robin Hood? :confused: I fear we will verge into CBBC territory again, though thankfully Capaldi's Doctor (who I already prefer to Matt Smith) should make it watchable.
Original post by Unibuster325
Empty? Really? Did you miss Day of the Doctor, Time of the Doctor and last night's Into The Dalek?

No.

Discuss.

Perhaps it's just me, but I never felt the "love" between 10 and MdP in the Fireplace episode. If other people hadn't mentioned it online so much, I never would have realised.
Original post by BoyWithTheThorn
After last weeks fairly unmemorable debut, it was good to see Dr Who return to form this week. Although the whole "Fantastic Voyage" idea has been parodied so often that it is hard to pull off seriously, it just about managed it and resulted in the most meaningful Dalek story since 2005's Dalek.

Next week: Robin Hood? :confused: I fear we will verge into CBBC territory again, though thankfully Capaldi's Doctor (who I already prefer to Matt Smith) should make it watchable.

it could be a return to the good old days when not every episode had to be a massive thing, but was just an episode where they go into an interesting setting and it looks normal, but there were monsters underneath, and the massive episode comes at the end. I miss the Russel T Davis days :frown:
Original post by BoyWithTheThorn

I think Robot Of Sherwood looks great. It's the episode I personally have been looking forward to most because it simply just looks fun . Plus it's written by Mark Gattis, who's one of the show's best writers if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Latest