The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

sheffield or lougbrough for financial mathematics?
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you how much does A-level (or european equivalent) count if you apply for a summer intenrship holding a first class undergrad and attending one of top MSc in finance?

It's not my case, if was just wondering.. Will (low) A-levels put you out from IB career slthough you had a very good pattern at university?
Original post by ItalianFinance
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you how much does A-level (or european equivalent) count if you apply for a summer intenrship holding a first class undergrad and attending one of top MSc in finance?

It's not my case, if was just wondering.. Will (low) A-levels put you out from IB career slthough you had a very good pattern at university?

Depends on what you mean by low. A number filter out applications below the minimum threshold of around 340 UCAS points (AAB) despite undergrad achievements. It's to sort out the sheer number of applicants mostly.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Depends on what you mean by low. A number filter out applications below the minimum threshold of around 340 UCAS points (AAB) despite undergrad achievements. It's to sort out the sheer number of applicants mostly.

Oh, okay, thanks for reply

As a foreign person, it is a little bit strange that although you are nearly closed to get a top MSc (I mean one of top business school worlwide), you can be cutted of because of your grades (that you achieve at 19.........)
Original post by ItalianFinance
Oh, okay, thanks for reply

As a foreign person, it is a little bit strange that although you are nearly closed to get a top MSc (I mean one of top business school worlwide), you can be cutted of because of your grades (that you achieve at 19.........)

Sucks and isn't really a true test of ability but I suppose it shows other strengths like a candidates consistency, drive & historical track record. Also it's fairly efficient in terms of cutting down numbers for interview stages.
Sucks and isn't really a true test of ability but I suppose it shows other strengths like a candidates consistency, drive & historical track record. Also it's fairly efficient in terms of cutting down numbers for interview stages.

Yes, definetly

Thansk again for reply
Reply 2966
Hi, I got into LSE's Bsc Management but even though I was predicted A*A*A I only achieved AAB. Would this hinder my chances in the future when applying for IB jobs even if I get at least a 2:1 at uni?
Original post by Ryan43
Hi, I got into LSE's Bsc Management but even though I was predicted A*A*A I only achieved AAB. Would this hinder my chances in the future when applying for IB jobs even if I get at least a 2:1 at uni?

Wow, you're in LSE with those grades? No, it wouldn't hinder IB applications IMO, as you're pass the A-level filter. But wow, were you given an AAB conditional from LSE (which you just met)? This must be a decent/easier way to get to places... Management includes some Econ, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2968
Original post by Wisefire
Wow, you're in LSE with those grades? No, it wouldn't hinder IB applications IMO, as you're pass the A-level filter. But wow, were you given an AAB conditional from LSE (which you just met)? This must be a decent/easier way to get to places... Management includes some Econ, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE's management is really hard to get an offer from (1750 applicants 120 places) you need a really good ps and great grades. The standard offer after that is aab with an A in maths. I was predicted much higher than this but slacked off a bit after getting the offer. It does actual include a lot of economics.
Original post by Ryan43

Management is considered as a very soft course by BB IBs, even if it's LSE, so your a levels shouldn't be your main cause for concern. Get a whole load of experience and network with the right people, and you should be fine. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but just thought I'd give you honest advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2970
Original post by MrBowcat
Management is considered as a very soft course by BB IBs, even if it's LSE, so your a levels shouldn't be your main cause for concern. Get a whole load of experience and network with the right people, and you should be fine. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but just thought I'd give you honest advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your honest advice, it is much appreciated. I understand that management is seen as a soft subject but a lot of lse management graduates have gotten into BB IBs so hopefully I'll stand a fighting chance. Any specific places you'd recommend gaining experience from in London? I have experience from KPMG, HSBC and BNP paribas even before university so I plan to stay on a similar level. Would a post-graduate degree help get rid of the soft impression of my application and if so in what course?
thanks
Original post by Ryan43
Thank you for your honest advice, it is much appreciated. I understand that management is seen as a soft subject but a lot of lse management graduates have gotten into BB IBs so hopefully I'll stand a fighting chance. Any specific places you'd recommend gaining experience from in London? I have experience from KPMG, HSBC and BNP paribas even before university so I plan to stay on a similar level. Would a post-graduate degree help get rid of the soft impression of my application and if so in what course?
thanks

Can I enquire as to what sort of experience you gained from these firms?
Original post by Wisefire
Yep.

Idgaf, yes, it is short talk now, but if I do manage get CRAZY grades, like A*A*A or better, or if I do that and successfully self-teach myself FM, I'll go for Land Economy at Cambridge. Extremely interesting course and blend of topics, and a absolutely insane life and job/money prospects...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What A-levels are you taking and what did you drop, best of luck breaking in ??
This year I got AAAB in my AS levels and A*A*A predictions for my A-levels and UCAS form - so hopefully I have a good chance at LSE A&F because A*A*A is way above the AAA predictions needed.

I was just going to ask, is it better if I do an easier course at LSE such as A&F than a harder course like Economics at Bristol. I heard prestige of the university is much much more important for IB jobs.

Thanks.
Reply 2974
Original post by Tomatochuckers
And yet here you are....still posting on TSR, adding no value whatsoever

If Shaming lying universities into action works then it has tremendous value.

I don't see the " great and the good " of student representation doing anything like it, so why the hell not. You're certainly not, are you trying to promote universities lying about entry grades ? Oh how magnanimous.

And so here YOU are....still posting on TSR, adding no value whatsoever
Original post by RAV 123
This year I got AAAB in my AS levels and A*A*A predictions for my A-levels and UCAS form - so hopefully I have a good chance at LSE A&F because A*A*A is way above the AAA predictions needed.

I was just going to ask, is it better if I do an easier course at LSE such as A&F than a harder course like Economics at Bristol. I heard prestige of the university is much much more important for IB jobs.

Thanks.

Find a course you enjoy doing, in all reality and go for it.
Reply 2976
Agreed.

yeah and can you believe that some people here ( no names mentioned) actually support that sort of thing.
Reply 2977
Original post by Browns97
So what about bristol and exeter ?

Look man, non targets = semi targets = 80% BO/MO and no FO, OK ?

And I'll only change my mind when GS comes to a place like Sheffield and puts on a FULL presentation with a D, 2 associates and a HRD.

That will get my attention, till then the run of the mill- one man at a booth at the careers fair is same from Manchester to Brunel, from Durham to Surrey.

So yeah Bristol (my alumni) and exeter are probably on top of the heap of non targets but still outside genuine target schools.

So it if it makes you happier then britol and exeter grads stand a better chance than most other non targets.
Original post by Ryan43
thanks

That's good that you've already got work experience at reputable firms. Try your absolute best to get involved with IB spring weeks, and ultimately an internship, probably the absolute most crucial thing you want. A masters in finance (or something along the same lines) would also be very beneficial, and you could possibly be looking at going straight away into IB as an Associate.
Reply 2979
Original post by MrBowcat
. A masters in finance (or something along the same lines) would also be very beneficial, and you could possibly be looking at going straight away into IB as an Associate.

Not at a top IB...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending