The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PillsIV
The problem I have with doctor who, Is it doesn't know what it is, a kids show or an adult show.

You have great episodes like the angel one or the one last night about being alone. Then you have ones like Peter Capaldi's first which was a dinosaur.

I mean come on!!

It's a family one.
Original post by Unibuster325
It's a family one.

I kinda guessed when I saw kids with doctor who lunch boxes,

But then some episodes are really dark. Like really dark. If I had kids I wouldn't let them watch some episodes of it. Angels scared me! Also last night about the monster under your bed? How is that family
Original post by PillsIV

But then some episodes are really dark. Like really dark. If I had kids I wouldn't let them watch some episodes of it. Angels scared me! Also last night about the monster under your bed? How is that family

I've never missed an episode!! Got to catch up on last night's though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PillsIV

As the Doctor and Clara both said, 'fear is a superpower'.

There's nothing wrong with scaring kids in the media. Indeed, that is one of the show's strengths.
As the Doctor and Clara both said, 'fear is a superpower'.

There's nothing wrong with scaring kids in the media. Indeed, that is one of the show's strengths.

I never got scared by one episode:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I never got scared by one episode:smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead terrified me. I couldn't stand in shadows afterwards out of fear of my flesh being eaten. I had to sort of jump over them.

And then there was The Water Of Mars, which made me scared to wash my hands.

Listen didn't really scare me but then I am older than I was when I watched the previous two stories mentioned.
I seem to be in the minority here, as the ending didn't really work me. I thought the episode was well directed and quite creepy, but I was expecting an actual resolution or climax. Me and my friend were both kinda confused at the end, perhaps a second viewing would help.

Questions:
When Clara went back to the Doctors past and was under his bed, was she creating the already existing fear that the Doctor had (ie it was already determined) or was she 'rewriting' his timeline by saying comforting words so that in the present he realised it was just an irrational fear?
Why did Clara grab his leg? It doesn't seem a very normal reaction, and she already knew that was what people were afraid of. It also seemed like a spur of the moment thing not a plan.
If there really was no 'monster under the bed' what was the thing under the blanket? I expect people will say it could be a child playing a prank, but the blurred glimpse we got didn't look much like a child, and it pretty much shot out of the room in a flash of light.

I guess the whole point of the ending is the ambiguity of the fear/monster, I suppose I was just expecting a more concrete resolution.
Original post by montstar

When Clara went back to the Doctors past and was under his bed, was she creating the already existing fear that the Doctor had (ie it was already determined) or was she 'rewriting' his timeline by saying comforting words so that in the present he realised it was just an irrational fear?

I think that's up to interpretation but I'd say because the Doctor was crying, that the fear already existed at that point and Clara's comforting words got rid of it. There's a resolution for you.
Why did Clara grab his leg?

She was trying to stop the Doctor meeting himself because as already established in the episode, meeting yourself is not a good thing(well, except if events mean you have to, of course, like with The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors, Time Crash and Day of the Doctor).

If there really was no 'monster under the bed' what was the thing under the blanket?

Again, that's up to interpretation but the most popular theory seems to be a child playing a prank on Rupert. Personally, though, I like to think it's a creature created by the Doctor's fear of something under the bed.
the "are you my mummy?" episode ****ing terrified me, other than that, never really been scared.
Original post by KingStannis
the "are you my mummy?" episode ****ing terrified me, other than that, never really been scared.

I didn't really find that as scary as others claimed it was.

I think Steven Moffat's best creation so far has been the Weeping Angels. They're basically the perfect Doctor Who monster: scary and a massive threat. Plus it is what Steven Moffat does best: playing with childhood fears.
Reply 3810
I didn't really find that as scary as others claimed it was.

I think Steven Moffat's best creation so far has been the Weeping Angels. They're basically the perfect Doctor Who monster: scary and a massive threat. Plus it is what Steven Moffat does best: playing with childhood fears.

The Weeping Angels started off well. They were pretty much the perfect monster in Blink but I feel like they got ridiculous.
Really liked it, best episode out of the past few series for me! Great to have one which stands alone so well.
Original post by KingStannis

Lol. I still remember parts of that. :biggrin:
Original post by Aula
The Weeping Angels started off well. They were pretty much the perfect monster in Blink but I feel like they got ridiculous.

I thought they were poor in The Time Of Angels/Flesh and Stone, great again in The God Complex and The Angels Take Manhattan and pointless in Time of the Doctor.
Original post by Teddysmith123
Its not how much he runs but the latest episodes have been slow on action!

Posted from TSR Mobile

more to good sci-fi than just action scenes though, heck, the best sci-fi shows know how to balance the action within the plot :smile:
It was alright. The only great episode so far this series was the dalek one. The others have been mediocre and the first episode was absolutely dreadful.
Part 2 of Oh my giddy aunt!:
http://inferno-fiction.co.uk/oh-my-giddy-aunt-part-2.php

Part 1 can be found in the issue 17 section of the same site.
I feel like Capaldi is parodying 10 and 11. His pacing up and down and run-on sentences feel forced as anything. I really hope this is intentional.
Original post by montstar
I seem to be in the minority here, as the ending didn't really work me. I thought the episode was well directed and quite creepy, but I was expecting an actual resolution or climax. Me and my friend were both kinda confused at the end, perhaps a second viewing would help.

Questions:
Why did Clara grab his leg? It doesn't seem a very normal reaction, and she already knew that was what people were afraid of. It also seemed like a spur of the moment thing not a plan.
If there really was no 'monster under the bed' what was the thing under the blanket? I expect people will say it could be a child playing a prank, but the blurred glimpse we got didn't look much like a child, and it pretty much shot out of the room in a flash of light.

I guess the whole point of the ending is the ambiguity of the fear/monster, I suppose I was just expecting a more concrete resolution.

I feel similarly, I was definitely expect something more concrete. To answer your questions:
When Clara went back in time and saw The Doctor as a child, she wasn't rewriting the timeline at all, that had already happened. The Doctor thought it was a dream (as he mentioned earlier in the episode) and this is what created his attitude towards fear.

I can't really say why Clara grabbed his leg, she obviously didn't want him to get out of bed (maybe because, as somebody said, his present self was in a blue box around the corner).

There was a 'monster under the bed' imo. You could clearly see it when they found Rupert, there were monsters outside when they went to the end of the universe and there was whatever wrote 'Listen' inside The Doctor's TARDIS.

By the way, did anybody else find issue with the fact that 'the end of the universe' didn't at all correlate with what were were told was the end of the universe when Tennant was The Doctor? The episode when we meet The Master?
(In the voice of Peter Capaldi...)

"QUESTION..."

Is the current Doctor really actually the 14th Doctor, and not the 12th Doctor? There is one main Doctor missing from the timeline... The War Doctor. PLUS... David Tennant's Doctor had a 2nd regeneration. In "The End of Time" episode (Catherine Tate's / Donna Noble's final episode), the Doctor was of course exterminated by a Dalek... went into regeneration mode, but something happened in the TARDIS to do with his hand in the tank and remained the same looking Doctor.

(Also in the voice of Peter Capaldi...)

"QUESTION..."

Does anyone else feel that episodes written by Steven Moffat are very confusing? There's a lot of continuity in them - for example, in the last episode, the whole thing about the barn and the War Doctor... But it just feels like there is no actual plot to the episodes, or if there is, it just gets so confusing you can't really remember what's happening.

I thought the best episode of this series so far was the one with Robin Hood... and who was that written by? Mark Gatiss!

I think Peter Capaldi is a really good actor, and I think he's one of the top few Doctor's. It's just a shame that his time as The Doctor is going to be ruined with poor, ridiculous, awful, and confusing writing/storylines by Steven Moffat.

I like how the programme has become a bit more "grown up" shall I call it, compared to how it has been in the last few years, but it needs a better writer!

Quick Reply

Latest