The Student Room Group

Completing the square; for turning points.

Hi guys;

I have been studying "completing the square" in relation to Algebraic functions and graphs. I have learned that using "completing the square" will give you the turning point.

With x2 + 4x + 1 = 0

When I completed the square; I got the result of (x+2)2=3

Now, apparently; It gives us the vertex (turning point) of x2 + 4x + 1: (-2, -3).

However I am somewhat at a loss at how exactly those figures were derived.

Can someone please help please?
Original post by apronedsamurai
Hi guys;

I have been studying "completing the square" in relation to Algebraic functions and graphs. I have learned that using "completing the square" will give you the turning point.

With x2 + 4x + 1 = 0

Now, apparently; It gives us the vertex (turning point) of x2 + 4x + 1: (-2, -3).

However I am somewhat at a loss at how exactly those figures were derived.

Can someone please help please?

Let's say a quadratic is generally (x2)=b(x^2)=b. (xa)2=b(x-a)^2=b is just a f(xa)f(x-a) transformation. It's shifted to the right by a units.
So the stationary point (0,b) becomes (a,b)(a,b). The b-b is just the equivalent y point as making the bracket 0 means that y=-b
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by keromedic
I think you mean (-2,3)

No, -3 was the value given on the tutorial website.

With x2 + 4x + 1 = 0

x2+4x+1=(x+2)23x^2 + 4x + 1 = (x+2)^2 - 3

do not rearrange

you should realise that (x+2)2(x+2)^2 is 0 or positive

Therefore the whole thing is smallest when (x+2) = 0

So

(-2,-3)
Reply 4
So sorry; still not quite getting it.

I understand (x+2)=0; therefore; x=2. But what of -3? Is this what we call substitution; and this is the method used always?
So sorry; still not quite getting it.

I understand (x+2)=0; therefore; x=2. But what of -3? Is this what we call substitution; and this is the method used always?

You had y=(x+2)23y = (x+2)^2 - 3

What does that equal when the bracket is zero
Why have you made it =3? Move that 3 back to the other side before you get confused. The original equation was equal to 0....
Reply 7

It's fairly straightforward.

We know that (x+2)20(x + 2)^2 \geq 0 for xRx \in \mathbb{R} because if that bracket becomes negative, squaring it will make it positive and squaring that bracket if it was positive would make it positive: this means that the minimum must occur when (x+2)2 = 0\underbrace{(x + 2)^2}_{\mathrm{ \ = \ 0}} therefore the vertex is (2,3)(-2, -3). (The -3 comes from y=(x+2)23y = (x + 2)^2 - 3 when you let (x+2)2=0(x + 2)^2 = 0.

(i hope i appeased you m8)

Quick Reply

Latest