Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a stone is thrown from the top of a cliff.
    the height h in meters, of the stone above the ground level after t seconds is modeled by the function
    h(t)=115+12.25t-4.9t^2.

a)give a physical interpretation of the meaning of the constant term 115 in the model.
    b)write h(t) in the form A-B(t-C)^2, where A B and C are constant to be found.
    c)using your answer to part b, or otherwise find with justification
    i)the time taken after the stone is thrown for it to reach ground level.
    ii)the maximum height of the stone above the ground and the time after which this
    maximum height is reached

ReputationRep:
    a) 115 is the height the stone is thrown from
    b) dunno if right, but i got...
    113.4375-4.9(t-5/4)^2
    So A=113.4375, B=4.9, C=5/4
    but doesn't work out for part c)i)
    c)ii) maximum height above ground is the height the stone is dropped at? so 115? and time will be 0, since that's where the stone is dropped.

In general, I think the question is wrong...but I am not sure....Could you type out the whole question, pls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neluxsan)
    a) 115 is the height the stone is thrown from
    b) dunno if right, but i got...
    113.4375-4.9(t-5/4)^2
    So A=113.4375, B=4.9, C=5/4
    but doesn't work out for part c)i)
    c)ii) maximum height above ground is the height the stone is dropped at? so 115? and time will be 0, since that's where the stone is dropped.

In general, I think the question is wrong...but I am not sure....Could you type out the whole question, pls?
    this is the whole question

ReputationRep:
    sorry I suppose I don't know how to do it

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I had a lot of fun doing this question the other day, I will try my best to explain it. I will spoiler block it incase someone wants to do it without the answers. Also, if you could tell me where you got this question from because im having trouble finding it now, and the work is in my folder at school...

Spoiler:
    Show

Part a - Your constant will be the place where the stone is thrown off, so the height of the cliff will be 115
    Spoiler:
    Show

Part b - Just do your normal completing the square, which if you do it right you should get something like this... 3925/32 - 4.9(t-5/4)^2
    Spoiler:
    Show

Part c.i - Make the equation = 0 because the height would be 0 when it reaches ground level, then make t the subject of the equation. You should get something like this... (35+5sqrt(785))/28.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Part c.ii - It would help if you drew the graph for this part, but the turning point of the graph will show you the maximum height and time. Which should be something like max height of 122.66m at 1.25 seconds

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get the question from???? It came up in my mock exam.

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.