The Student Room Group

How to calculate CIE AS UMS/Percentage Uniform Marks???

Hi Everyone,

CIE doesnt officially publish UMS/Percentage Uniform marks for my country.

I was wondering how would you calculate it using the official grade thresholds and AS Raw Marks?

What raw mark would correlate to 100% percentage uniform marks, for example Biology (9700)?

If the grade thresholds are:
"A" = 80% PUM = 85 raw marks
"B" = 70% PUM = 76 raw marks
"C" = 60% PUM = 66 raw marks
"D" = 50% PUM = 56 raw marks
"E" = 40% PUM = 46 raw marks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaMariMo
Hi Everyone,

CIE doesnt officially publish UMS/Percentage Uniform marks for my country.

I was wondering how would you calculate it using the official grade thresholds and AS Raw Marks?

What raw mark would correlate to 100% percentage uniform marks, for example Biology (9700)?

If the grade thresholds are:
"A" = 80% PUM = 85 raw marks
"B" = 70% PUM = 76 raw marks
"C" = 60% PUM = 66 raw marks
"D" = 50% PUM = 56 raw marks
"E" = 40% PUM = 46 raw marks

Hey there, as you know, I also do CIE. Although they haven't released an official way of calculating it, I've come up with a way to calculate your actual raw marks (I'm pretty sure this is the way).
Just quote this with your results and for what subject and I'll do the rest. (I need the percentage though, not just the letter). I already have the Thresholds.
Reply 2
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hey there, as you know, I also do CIE. Although they haven't released an official way of calculating it, I've come up with a way to calculate your actual raw marks (I'm pretty sure this is the way).
Just quote this with your results and for what subject and I'll do the rest. (I need the percentage though, not just the letter). I already have the Thresholds.

Thanks for replying.

For CIE AS Biology (9700) AS May/June 2014: Raw Marks 112/130
Thanks for replying.

For CIE AS Biology (9700) AS May/June 2014: Raw Marks 112/130

How do you know your raw marks?
And it would be 92%, if my calculations are correct. Well done :biggrin:
Reply 4
I asked my british cirriculum super visor, he receives the raw marks of the papers for each student in an excel format.

Can I ask how did you calculate it? and how are you sure that method is correct?

(On my COPA/SAQ if i do put calculated PUM, i need to backup my calculations with evidence)
I asked my british cirriculum super visor, he receives the raw marks of the papers for each student in an excel format.

Can I ask how did you calculate it? and how are you sure that method is correct?

(On my COPA/SAQ if i do put calculated PUM, i need to backup my calculations with evidence)

I am not 100% sure my method is correct. However, after doing my chemistry AS level, I was confident I had achieved 94-95 marks / 130. Using my method, I got a result of 94.3 marks, which is basically what I thought I had, so I'm 99% sure this method is accurate. It does involve quite a lot of calculation. You work out the difference between 130 and the A grade threshold. You treat that as if it were 100%. The points you get from the A onwards (ie in your case 112-85) is then divided by this difference (in your case, the result would be 27/45 = 60%, so you achieved a 60% of the 20% which lies between 80% and 100%, ie. 0.6 x 20 = 12. So you have 12% + 80% = 92%)
I might be wrong, but it's worked for me.
Reply 6
I am not 100% sure my method is correct. However, after doing my chemistry AS level, I was confident I had achieved 94-95 marks / 130. Using my method, I got a result of 94.3 marks, which is basically what I thought I had, so I'm 99% sure this method is accurate. It does involve quite a lot of calculation. You work out the difference between 130 and the A grade threshold. You treat that as if it were 100%. The points you get from the A onwards (ie in your case 112-85) is then divided by this difference (in your case, the result would be 27/45 = 60%, so you achieved a 60% of the 20% which lies between 80% and 100%, ie. 0.6 x 20 = 12. So you have 12% + 80% = 92%)

Your method is essentially correct, (I have seen proof of it somewhere) but there is one thing i think you assumed.

Why the difference between my mark and 130?
So the only way to get 100% PUM is to get 130/130?

For edexcel UMS, you dont need to get 75/75 in M1 to get 100 UMS.

When you were confident that you achieved 94-95 marks, are you sure it was out of 130 not 140? (As the total raw mark for AS is 140, but they multiply Paper 3 by 0.75 to get it out of 130)
(edited 9 years ago)
Your method is essentially correct, (I have seen proof of it somewhere) but there is one thing i think you assumed.

Why the difference between my mark and 130?
So the only way to get 100% PUM is to get 130/130?

For edexcel UMS, you dont need to get 75/75 in M1 to get 100 UMS.

When you were confident that you achieved 94-95 marks, are you sure it was out of 130 not 140? (As the total raw mark for AS is 140, but they multiply Paper 3 by 0.75 to get it out of 130)

Yes, that was after I changed the marks. And, to answer your question, no, this is not like other boards. A girl in my school got top in the world and achieved 98%
Reply 8
Yes, that was after I changed the marks. And, to answer your question, no, this is not like other boards. A girl in my school got top in the world and achieved 98%

well that's disappointing :mad:

So because of this difference of UMS vs PUM,
will Cambridge weigh PUM of 95% greater than a UMS of 95%?
well that's disappointing :mad:

So because of this difference of UMS vs PUM,
will Cambridge weigh PUM of 95% greater than a UMS of 95%?

I don't know about that haha.
I don't know about that haha.

I checked from other places and your method was (as far as I can tell) correct.
Especially, that its relative to 130.

Thank you for everything! :smile:
I checked from other places and your method was (as far as I can tell) correct.
Especially, that its relative to 130.

Thank you for everything! :smile:

No problem :biggrin:

Hey, could you help me out too?
I actually wanted to know let's say my AS Biology percentage is 57%.. How much would I need to score an A in A2? I know it might be impossible but I just want to know..
Reply 13
Could someone help me and pprovide me with my UMS for yhe following marks: 45/50 stats, 72/75 pure 1, 66/75 pure 3, 47/50 mech 1. Ive looked at the papers online and calcukated for myself that these are the estimated raw marks i might get. Just need to work out the UMS now. The exam board is CIE 9709

In IGCSE Biology, I got 87% I gave 3 papers 80 marks 40 marks 40 marks
160 marks so please guide me calculating my actual marks
what is the raw mark for business as level 88%

I did cie AS level chemistry and biology and got 86% and i am not rrasy for A2 which is in 10 days if i get C 60% in A2 what will be my overall results?
What are my raw marks for november 9700 biology(12,22,33). I got 79%.
Hi, can you please help me calculate PUM if a candidate gets raw mark as 124/300 in ICT in March 2018 series.
Hi, I made a web app for converting CAIE raw marks to PUMs. Please refer to my post at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6536740&p=89143748#post89143748

Quick Reply

Latest