The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turn-to-page394
Does anyone else hate it when teachers get mad at you for a grade that they think you shouldn't have got when it was them who didn't explain it and they don't express the same annoyance at other people who got the same?

God, I'm probably being biased and a hypocrite and gah, who cares... Sorry about this. Needed to rant.

The weather sucks ok...

Yes! This year my school has 30 new teachers, and the ones that I have are so bad at teaching, but they still expect us to do well even if we aren't even being taught properly :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all :smile: I was just wondering if any of you are english literature pros, and would be willing to offer me a helping hand. I'm finding both comparing poems and my text ( an inspector calls and of mice and men) essays very difficult and they never achieve top bands, even though I put so much effort in them :frown: I was just wondering where I am going wrong, and what I need to do to bump up my band
Thank you :smile:
Does anyone else hate it when teachers get mad at you for a grade that they think you shouldn't have got when it was them who didn't explain it and they don't express the same annoyance at other people who got the same?

God, I'm probably being biased and a hypocrite and gah, who cares... Sorry about this. Needed to rant.

The weather sucks ok...

Yesss :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The weather sucks ok...

No, no, you're right.

I hate the weather. My SAD kicked in a week ago and I'm already feeling the drag. This is going to be a horrid winter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys ;D
Like you people better remember me, lol
what's up?

The weather sucks ok...

Yeah, that happens alot. People got told off and discriminated by my teacher for getting A's on the GCSE maths exam :biggrin: (my class did maths in year 10)
Original post by SampleX
No, no, you're right.

I hate the weather. My SAD kicked in a week ago and I'm already feeling the drag. This is going to be a horrid winter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh the weather is horrible lol. Had inset day today, and staying home tomorrow too :biggrin: got a cold.. so that'll give me time to revise and stuff
Original post by Violetvirtue
Hey all :smile: I was just wondering if any of you are english literature pros, and would be willing to offer me a helping hand. I'm finding both comparing poems and my text ( an inspector calls and of mice and men) essays very difficult and they never achieve top bands, even though I put so much effort in them :frown: I was just wondering where I am going wrong, and what I need to do to bump up my band

I would like to know this as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vd12345
Yh the weather is horrible lol. Had inset day today, and staying home tomorrow too :biggrin: got a cold.. so that'll give me time to revise and stuff

Lucky xP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just made myself a sandwich omfg its gorgeous :smile: but when u take 20 minutes to make a sandwich it gotta be good

Hey, I wouldn't consider myself a pro in any way but I got full marks on my controlled assessment on comparing texts for literature and on the mock :smile: . I'll try and help you out if you give me a bit more detail on the task, but I think the general points with comparison are to show both explicit and subtle links between texts, compare the context/writer's ideas, and their effect on the reader.
In any other general essay it's just so important to make sustained, developed points, sophisticated ideas, close language analysis and show a really good understanding of the text. Some things which are really important to consider: the form, structure and general ideas/plot of the text, the writer's purpose, the social and historical context and the effect on the reader. If you address all these things you should be looking at A/A* :smile: but if you need more specific help I'm happy to help, I've studied of mice and men and comparing poems but not inspector calls :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Canttellyou
I got an A* but I'm really worried it will get marked down if grade boundaries change or something, and good luck with your writing, I hope you do great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! I got an A on my last one but I'm hoping for an A* today! Thankyou :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunday_morning
No, we didn't have to. I was very close to taking music though. I completed my grade 5 music theory earlier this year.

I'm pretty good at maths, although I do struggle with the last few questions, particularly on the calculator paper.

Good luck. :smile: What are you doing in the practical?

Hey, sorry for the slow reply i've been really busy! For the practical we have to hypothesis the affect of photosynthesis on plant growth. We are using bean sprouts and strawberry plants as part of our apparatus :smile:

Which instrument do you play? I have completed grade 3 in guitar. How are you with Algebra?
I have been to two college open days recently, have you been to any?

I got full marks on my Literature CAT too, though I think I'd find it difficult to help without actually seeing some of your work, but you you can ask me any questions you want about it if you need/want to. What kind of marks/bands are you getting at the moment?
Yes! This year my school has 30 new teachers, and the ones that I have are so bad at teaching, but they still expect us to do well even if we aren't even being taught properly :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch. 30? Did everyone resign or something?? :confused: Hope it gets better :smile:

Original post by SampleX
No, no, you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by vd12345
Yeah, that happens alot. People got told off and discriminated by my teacher for getting A's on the GCSE maths exam :biggrin: (my class did maths in year 10)

-----> Thanks guys for making me feel better about ranting here :smile:

Guess I'm just having a bad week and want to blame someone for it :colondollar:. The weather sucks and all... I hate drizzle. It's so pathetic...
Ouch. 30? Did everyone resign or something?? :confused: Hope it gets better :smile:

Yeah the school got a new head teacher so i assume they didn't like the new management, and I doubt it's going to get better so I'm going elsewhere for sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
The weather sucks and all... I hate drizzle. It's so pathetic...

My mood has definitely changed since it got cold. Not sure if it was PMS though, but I've been a lot more grumpy recently lol
Yeah the school got a new head teacher so i assume they didn't like the new management, and I doubt it's going to get better so I'm going elsewhere for sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit like my school - we got a new head teacher too! Then there was a sudden influx of new teachers and quite a few of the better teachers left. It was a few years ago now but luckily, I'm only being taught by one new teacher because not many of my teachers were the ones who left. Phew.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy your new sixth form :smile:
Original post by Steliata
My mood has definitely changed since it got cold. Not sure if it was PMS though, but I've been a lot more grumpy recently lol

I don't mind the cold as much seeing as I'm a winter baby *nods* but gah, raaaain. It's nice when you are inside in the warmth but when you're outside...

(Why are we talking about PMS.... gawd, this is awkward... :biggrin: but haha, I know, i know....:frown: - still good excuse for being moody and horrible to people :P)
I don't mind the cold as much seeing as I'm a winter baby *nods* but gah, raaaain. It's nice when you are inside in the warmth but when you're outside...

(Why are we talking about PMS.... gawd, this is awkward... :biggrin: but haha, I know, i know....:frown: - still good excuse for being moody and horrible to people :P)

I agree, I love the rain when I'm inside but not when I'm outside. It always seems to start raining as soon as I walk home from the bus stop after school! I always forget my umbrella as well...

Latest