The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peachy23
Haha :smile: thanks for the tips! To be honest, I'm still not sure if that would work for me since I ended up asking the teacher if I could do mine at lunchtime alone as we had the option to do that too. I still got a 7/10 which isn't that great :/ so I have to redo it :frown:

:frown: That's a shame! Though 7/10 isn't that bad. :smile: Hopefully it will be better next time though! At least you get the option to redo it ... We don't. :mad: Which is annoying.

Good luck btw for the next one!
Ugh, I just found out between 1-5th of December, I do mock exams for every subject. Not to mention my Biology ISAs on the 9th of December as well as my Computing coursework which needs to be handed in by the end of term (The 16th of December..?). This will be a long month :frown:.
Original post by Obiejess
R.S. - Language A Levels are the spawn of Satan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year I was certain that I would choose R.S for A Level but now I'm starting to lean towards Spanish. I enjoy R.S a bit more but I'm worse at it and I'm working at a B or C grade at the moment. I enjoy Spanish less than R.S, although I'm working at an A grade. Argh I just can't decide :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by turn-to-page394
:frown: That's a shame! Though 7/10 isn't that bad. :smile: Hopefully it will be better next time though! At least you get the option to redo it ... We don't. :mad: Which is annoying.

Good luck btw for the next one!

Oh wow really? That sucks! I have to redo mine because my target is an A* and everyone has a target. If you're on target, you can't redo it so it's good that mine's quite high :smile: I know it's not too bad but I could have done better :P hopefully it goes well :smile:
Original post by Peachy23
Oh wow really? That sucks! I have to redo mine because my target is an A* and everyone has a target. If you're on target, you can't redo it so it's good that mine's quite high :smile: I know it's not too bad but I could have done better :P hopefully it goes well :smile:

It does... :frown:

:biggrin: Aim for that target!
Must be really annoying though for some who have a lower target than they are capable of achieving, then mess up and can't do it again.... Poor them.:frown:

How many chances/redos do you have? One or two or as many as you need?

Hope it goes well! :smile:
Original post by Purple-Pixie
Last year I was certain that I would choose R.S for A Level but now I'm starting to lean towards Spanish. I enjoy R.S a bit more but I'm worse at it and I'm working at a B or C grade at the moment. I enjoy Spanish less than R.S, although I'm working at an A grade. Argh I just can't decide :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that situation I'd go for spanish :smile: RS a level is very different from GCSE so you might not enjoy it as much. Also, spanish is apparently much more fun at A level because the content becomes more interesting than at GCSE. You seem to be better at it anyway, and a language is always going to be a valuable skill even after you leave school whatever you go on to do at uni, whereas as although RS is interesting it isn't as much of a facilitating or respected subject as a language and won't bring you as many opportunities :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by turn-to-page394
It does... :frown:

:biggrin: Aim for that target!
Must be really annoying though for some who have a lower target than they are capable of achieving, then mess up and can't do it again.... Poor them.:frown:

How many chances/redos do you have? One or two or as many as you need?

Hope it goes well! :smile:

Yeah, since I'm in top set, pretty much everyone wants an A* and this girl got an A (which was her target) and asked to redo it but wasn't allowed since she's already on target so that's a bit annoying for her...
I think you only get one extra chance because it's difficult to get the time to keep redoing them and stuff - I'm not really sure but I'm redoing mine after the mocks, thankfully! Yep I hope so too, getting really stressed out over this :frown:
Original post by tryrevise
Am I the only one finding it really hard to pick my A levels? I'm so torn between spanish and English lit for my fourth :frown: I'll probably do biology, chemistry and maths as my main 3 though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not personally, but I know a lot of people who are.

Something that helped a friend of mine was to attend the subject presentations at sixth form open evenings because she was able to see what the content of the courses would be like and if it would be something that would interest her.

I want to do Spanish, English, Maths and possibly classics - if it will fit, of course, because that will involve changing schools at lunch for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will do better at A Level at what you enjoy. Language A Levels are terrible even if you love the language and are getting A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spanish is wonderful! (Okay, maybe I'm a little biased because it's my favourite a well as my strongest...)
Original post by Quintessentially
Spanish is wonderful! (Okay, maybe I'm a little biased because it's my favourite a well as my strongest...)

Have you done an AS Language? They are the stuff of nightmares.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will do better at A Level at what you enjoy. Language A Levels are terrible even if you love the language and are getting A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes language A levels so terrible? Personally, I'm really looking forward to studying Spanish at A level.
Reply 2412
Original post by Kyou
Ugh, I just found out between 1-5th of December, I do mock exams for every subject. Not to mention my Biology ISAs on the 9th of December as well as my Computing coursework which needs to be handed in by the end of term (The 16th of December..?). This will be a long month :frown:.

That's what this week has been for me - hell! Make sure you make an effort to relax inbetween

Posted from TSR Mobile
What makes language A levels so terrible? Personally, I'm really looking forward to studying Spanish at A level.

The jump is massive
There is a massive amount of grammar to learn
There is a massive amount of vocab to learn
It's 100% exam
For the speaking exam you have to speak fluently for 20 mins with no idea what the questions are before hand
The essay section of the exam is marked stupidly
The exam is stupid
The topics are stupid

I can go on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The jump is massive
It's 100% exam
For the speaking exam you have to speak fluently for 20 mins with no idea what the questions are before hand
The exam is stupid
The topics are stupid

I can go on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't go and completely scare someone out of doing an A-Level they want to do. + I saw on a thread that you said you AS French last year so the jump probably would have seemed even bigger. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
I wouldn't go and completely scare someone out of doing an A-Level they want to do. + I saw on a thread that you said you AS French last year so the jump probably would have seemed even bigger. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sat the gcse exam everyone sits at the end of year 11 at the end of year 9. I could deal with that. Essentially I made the same jump as it was still GCSE -> AS.

All I'm going to say is that there was a French girl in my class. She got the highest grade. It was a C.

I'm giving my opinion - AS French was a waste of time and effort and something like RS would be a lot more manageable, espescially as the person in question has already said they enjoy it more.

My advice = in my experience, A Level languages are a waste of time and effort unless you want to do a degree in languages. They are too hard to be considered a viable 4th option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The jump is massive
It's 100% exam
The exam is stupid
The topics are stupid

I can go on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That actually doesn't sound too horrendous as far as I'm concerned (apart from the speaking part - I'd struggle to know what to say to answer questions in English for twenty minutes, let alone Spanish :/)

The grammar and vocabulary stuff I don't mind though.

I've already studied the majority of the AS grammar stuff by myself beforehand - my dad used to study Spanish so he has lots of old books and I had to teach more advanced grammar structures to myself in order to be able to read them, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult.

I want to study languages at university, so for me it's kind of a necessity regardless of whether or not the content seems somewhat worthless.
(edited 9 years ago)
That actually doesn't sound too horrendous as far as I'm concerned (apart from the speaking part - I'd struggle to know what to say to answer questions in English for twenty minutes, let alone Spanish :/)

The grammar and vocabulary stuff I don't mind though.

I've already studied the majority of the AS grammar stuff by myself beforehand - my dad used to study Spanish so he has lots of old books and I had to teach more advanced grammar structures to myself in order to be able to read them, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult.

The speaking they ask you really awful questions too. For example:

'How do you feel about Same-sex parenting in modern day society?'

You now have about 3 seconds to answer this fluently in a response that last about 2-3 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
The speaking they ask you really awful questions too. For example:

'How do you feel about Same-sex parenting in modern day society?'

You now have about 3 seconds to answer this fluently in a response that last about 2-3 mins

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, at least it's more interesting than 'What is your opinion of your bedroom'.
Well, at least it's more interesting than 'What is your opinion of your bedroom'.

Yeah but when it's thrust on you and you have to answer fluently whilst using enough tenses, vocab and structure fluently with no prep you'd rather be asked about something you can bull**** your way through

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest