The Student Room Group

Methane Spikes found on Mars could suggest Extra-Terrestrial life

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2876373/Do-finally-proof-life-Mars-Unexplained-methane-spikes-suggest-bacteria-living-red-planet.html

Methane spikes detected by Curiosity could be the result of bacteria on the red planet. Assuming that it's not non-biological, the big question is then, has the planet been contaminated by this and previous missions or is this the first sign of alien life?
idk.
Probably from Kim Jong Un when he exploded in that helicopter.
Reply 3
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2876373/Do-finally-proof-life-Mars-Unexplained-methane-spikes-suggest-bacteria-living-red-planet.html

Methane spikes detected by Curiosity could be the result of bacteria on the red planet. Assuming that it's not non-biological, the big question is then, has the planet been contaminated by this and previous missions or is this the first sign of alien life?

All very interesting and since Venus, Earth and Mars all had water at one point there's a decent chance they all had microbial life.

Personally i think Titan is actually the best bet right now, it's been identified that in addition to liquid oceans (Methane) it has all the ingredients required for DNA and RNA.
Original post by Rakas21
All very interesting and since Venus, Earth and Mars all had water at one point there's a decent chance they all had microbial life.

Personally i think Titan is actually the best bet right now, it's been identified that in addition to liquid oceans (Methane) it has all the ingredients required for DNA and RNA.

What about europa :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by UCAS problems :(
What about europa :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Certainly more likely that it's life more similar to our sea life but there are some concerns with Europa. Namely that if all the ocean is under the surface then are there are any currents. If there are no currents then how will the production of Hydrogen Peroxide be prevented (i think that's the chemical) since it's believed that this is what caused the death of 90% of species around 500 million years ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why does this thread has 5 replies?

Great news!
Original post by Rakas21

Venus seems unlikely - the high atmospheric pressure and the lack of a magnetic field (meaning solar winds can rip its atmosphere apart), by all rights it should be uninhabitable.

Titan could perhaps be a good host, but I think Europa would be the better target: which is also why it's COSPAR Category IV

Original post by Rakas21
Certainly more likely that it's life more similar to our sea life but there are some concerns with Europa. Namely that if all the ocean is under the surface then are there are any currents. If there are no currents then how will the production of Hydrogen Peroxide be prevented (i think that's the chemical) since it's believed that this is what caused the death of 90% of species around 500 million years ago.

You don't necessarily want to prevent its production though. Some have posited that the presence of oxidising compounds are critical to the development of multicellular life, and as far as oxidising agents go, Peroxides are pretty powerful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending