The Student Room Group

Should computer gaming be an olympic sport?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
I've been an archery athlete! It's not all that taxing but you do need arm strength, endurance a reasonable core and solid balance to be elite. You need none of these physical attributes to be good at computer gaming. It's all mental whereas archery is only mostly mental. This is why I'd say no.

It isn't just mental at all. Your need extremely fast reactions, which can be trained. You also need to be able to navigate a keyboard very quickly and accurately for most competitive games especially RTS'. Dexterity is key and this is something that you MUST train if you want to be successful at gaming. You certainly are not born with like you are the mental capacity for chess (although obviously you still need to study loads to become good at chess).

I think it's very easy to understate just how difficult it is to actually navigate a keyboard quick enough and be as precise as one must with a mouse in order to actually be successful at competitive video game play. Until you try it yourself you will have no idea, much like until you try and lift a weight even half as heavy as that of the olympic weight-lifters you really will have no clue just how "next-level" these pros are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TorpidPhil
Starcraft 2 is huge at the moment.

Ok, so can you explain how playing this game is equivalent to training for an Olympic sport? Maybe compare it to something like the pentathlon or cycling in the velodrome?
Original post by Wattsy
I've been an archery athlete! It's not all that taxing but you do need arm strength, endurance a reasonable core and solid balance to be elite. You need none of these physical attributes to be good at computer gaming. It's all mental whereas archery is only mostly mental. This is why I'd say no.

What about chess?
Original post by Veggiechic6
Ok, so can you explain how playing this game is equivalent to training for an Olympic sport? Maybe compare it to something like the pentathlon or cycling in the velodrome?

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not educated enough in the training processes of those sports to understand how they are fundamentally different?

Are you saying that the practice would be monotonous, doing the same thing over and over, yet for olympic sports this is not the case or what are you saying?
I'm sorry, maybe I'm not educated enough in the training processes of those sports to understand how they are fundamentally different?

Are you saying that the practice would be monotonous, doing the same thing over and over, yet for olympic sports this is not the case or what are you saying?

I'm saying that training for an Olympic sport would be much more difficult than training to play a computer game well. To be good enough for Olympics, you need to be absolute top of the tree in a multitude of skills related to your sport. It's not just the training itself, it's the determination to succeed and be the best, beating all others in local/national competitions. It's about teamwork, coaching, support, not to mention financial support. Remember the Olympics is partly about entertainment and corporate sponsorship. Would people pay to watch people sitting and playing a computer game? Regardless of how much 'training' the players have done for it, most of the audience wouldn't see it as a high level thing, they'd be thinking 'I could do that too'. Whereas as proper Olympic sport is exciting and jaw dropping achievement that pushes to the limit what mankind is capable of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
I'm saying that training for an Olympic sport would be much more difficult than training to play a computer game well. To be good enough for Olympics, you need to be absolute top of the tree in a multitude of skills related to your sport. It's not just the training itself, it's the determination to succeed and be the best, beating all others in local/national competitions. It's about teamwork, coaching, support, not to mention financial support. Remember the Olympics is about entertainment and corporate sponsorship. Would people pay to watch people sitting and playing a game? Regardless of how much 'training' the players have done for it, most of the audience wouldn't see it as a high level thing, they'd be thinking 'I could do that too'. Whereas as proper Olympic sport is exciting and jaw dropping achievement that pushes to the limit what mankind is capable of.

I literally posted you a video link of a 40,000 seater stadium absolutely packed full. World gaming championships are televised; the commercial pull is massive. And it's just as hard to be 'world class' as it is with any sport. People get paid for coaching it etc too.

Unsuitable for olympics obviously, but just as hard and probably more popular.
Reply 26
Monopoly should be an Olympic sport because it needs a lot of concentration and skill to throw the numbers you want on the dice.
plenty of gaming tournaments which are seen as the olympic of gaming, however they should be kept seperate. As for gaming they have many big events such as: COD Championships, MLG Dallas/Chicago/Anaheim and then there is the european EGL etc. Quite a few.
Original post by samba
I literally posted you a video link of a 40,000 seater stadium absolutely packed full. World gaming championships are televised; the commercial pull is massive. And it's just as hard to be 'world class' as it is with any sport. People get paid for coaching it etc too.

Unsuitable for olympics obviously, but just as hard and probably more popular.

This. + Games such as League of Legends get over 200k views when at tournaments and the gamers themselves make big money. Last year in the call of duty scene a gaming organisation 'bought' a team from another org for 80k. Also the COD tournament 'X Games' was on ESPN. It's massive!
Are you crazy? No way

Olympics is prestigious and you'll be taking the piss adding computer games...
Having usain bolt in the same sporting competition with gamers is just a joke
I'm saying that training for an Olympic sport would be much more difficult than training to play a computer game well. To be good enough for Olympics, you need to be absolute top of the tree in a multitude of skills related to your sport. It's not just the training itself, it's the determination to succeed and be the best, beating all others in local/national competitions. It's about teamwork, coaching, support, not to mention financial support. Remember the Olympics is partly about entertainment and corporate sponsorship. Would people pay to watch people sitting and playing a computer game? Regardless of how much 'training' the players have done for it, most of the audience wouldn't see it as a high level thing, they'd be thinking 'I could do that too'. Whereas as proper Olympic sport is exciting and jaw dropping achievement that pushes to the limit what mankind is capable of.

Uh, no.

I'm not talking about playing a game well. I'm a decent weightlifter but I'm not an olympic weightlifter. People would still say "He's good at weightlifting". Totally different thing. I'm talking about pro-gaming, gaming at a world-class level, not being "good" at a game.

I think you are very ignorant and don't have a clue what you're talking about - go have a look at the APM of professional SC2 players and then go play SC2 and check your APM.

When people see how fast I play and the moves I pull off at my game they are astonished because they know even after thousands of hours of practice they would not have a hope in hell at doing such acts.
No, of course not.
Stick to different video game competitions.

The Olympics is about physical fitness. Anyone can sit on the floor and press some buttons (even if they're not very good at it.) Not everyone can run a marathon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Monopoly should be an Olympic sport because it needs a lot of concentration and skill to throw the numbers you want on the dice.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison. That's like poker.

1) No dexterity is involved with it.

2) There is far too large an amount of luck involved with such "games" which is why they are not sports - competitive video games are so well balanced that you can study them like a sport and deduce the optimal actions in every single scenario based on each of the choices you predict your foe to make.
Original post by samba

Unsuitable for olympics obviously

This is what this entire thread is about. From what you're saying, computer gaming is probably more popular than I'm aware of, but do countries compete to host it every 4 years? Do loads of ordinary people madly rush to get tickets? Competitive computer gaming might grow in popularity over the years but it is still a niche and not mainstream like the Olympics. We can argue about what's more skilful until the cows come home (you'll never convince me) but unless they are a gamer and into competitive gaming themselves, I can't imagine the average person in the street would believe it should be included in the Olympics. You just admitted it yourself and that was entirely my point all along.
It would be more realistic having fapping in there.
Reply 35
This is what this entire thread is about. From what you're saying, computer gaming is probably more popular than I'm aware of, but do countries compete to host it every 4 years? Do loads of ordinary people madly rush to get tickets? Competitive computer gaming might grow in popularity over the years but it is still a niche and not mainstream like the Olympics. We can argue about what's more skilful until the cows come home (you'll never convince me) but unless they are a gamer and into competitive gaming themselves, I can't imagine the average person in the street would believe it should be included in the Olympics. You just admitted it yourself and that was entirely my point all along.

Yea they do, but the demographic for those wanting to spend time/money on computer game spectating is vastly different from those wanting to spend time/money on olympics.

That said, the demographic is bigger than for most Olympic sports. Like football, they'd just not take the Olympics seriously if they had to field teams.
Original post by samba
Yea they do, but the demographic for those wanting to spend time/money on computer game spectating is vastly different from those wanting to spend time/money on olympics.

That said, the demographic is bigger than for most Olympic sports. Like football, they'd just not take the Olympics seriously if they had to field teams.
Yes I'm sure the demographic is different. People who pay money to watch Olympic sports are ordinary people. People who pay money to watch other people play computer games... well the word starts with 'g' and ends in 'eek'. :smile: That is of course my personal opinion but I wouldn't have thought I'm alone in thinking that. I'm off to bed now, it's very unlikely (hopefully) that the powers that be would somehow think it appropriate to include computer games into an honourable sports competition so the whole debate is moot. Happy Christmas everyone!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
It would be more realistic having fapping in there.

The road to alpha is clear. Keep pushing!
Reply 38
Absolutely ridiculous comparison. That's like poker.

1) No dexterity is involved with it.

2) There is far too large an amount of luck involved with such "games" which is why they are not sports - competitive video games are so well balanced that you can study them like a sport and deduce the optimal actions in every single scenario based on each of the choices you predict your foe to make.

Ha ha thats funny.

We hijacked the thread from that purpose along time ago because that's a stupid thing to say. It's totally totally obvious they shouldn't be a part of the olympics. I'm not even going to debate that it's just silly. So silly, that we hijacked the thread by discussing the extent to which competitive video games should be treated as seriously as competitive sports where both are at world-class levels of skill.

Quick Reply

Latest