The Student Room Group

Normal Distribution Question

Hey, am just starting to revise some of the statistics for my exam an came across this question Im a tad uncertain of.

I just don't really know what to do with it. I of course have the formula for the distribution but surely it cant expect me to calculate probabilities for 1 to 16 and then do the inverse?

I've not faced many questions on this distribution so any help is greatly appreciated.
Original post by Eremor
Hey, am just starting to revise some of the statistics for my exam an came across this question Im a tad uncertain of.

I just don't really know what to do with it. I of course have the formula for the distribution but surely it cant expect me to calculate probabilities for 1 to 16 and then do the inverse?

I've not faced many questions on this distribution so any help is greatly appreciated.

This is a continuous distribution. You need to find how far 16 is from the mean in terms of standard deivations and then use the tables for the normal distribution.
From what I can remember, this I what I would do:-
We know x ~ n(9, 7 squared)
We need to find z, which I believe is z= 1-9 all over 7 (not sure if this is 100% correct but there is a formula???maybe google it). Work this out and then look up on tables

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nadinelia11

Correct. Standard normal distribution.

Quick Reply

Latest