The Student Room Group

Shall I get a PS4/Xbox One?

Hi! ( I'm 21, guy), I've not played any type of video games since I had a PS2, which to some of you may be mad.

I was brought up in the days of Rayman, Spyro... that was cool, The Simpsons Road Rage, Simpsons Hit & Run, GTA Vice City, Need for Speed...

I liked stuff like that. I love cycling, but not really a sport gamer.

Some evenings I just get bored and liking crap on facebook just gets boring. I was wondering if I should get a PS4/Xbox. What do you think? What types of good games are there? Stuff like Call of Duty is a no for me.

Scroll to see replies

PS4 + The Last of Us and GTA 5.

That's what I'd recommend to someone who hasn't gamed for a good number of years at least.
PS4 with Driveclub, GTA V, NFS Rivals. That would be good for you based on your past games :h:
PS4 with GTA V, Far cry 4, NFS Rivals

Xbox is good, just not to my taste. I generally have good taste.
Neither at the moment. A PC or PS3 instead.
Reply 5
Xbox One: ofcourse here's a list of games.... Killer Instinct, Halo Collection, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive also the xbox one controller and the indie games make it better (my opinion). - The Xbox One also serves as a badass media center.
(edited 9 years ago)
xbox one..I have both, ps4 is terrible and sony are unreliable, psn is always down, console UI is slow and laggy.. games are meh. TLOU is a terrible slow boring game.. get an xb1 and play some fastpaced shooters like a real man!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once you go mustard race, you never go back. If you aren't really a CoD sort of gamer, you might as well skip consoles.
Definitely a PS4! You get games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Driveclub etc and more to come!

The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maffyman
Definitely a PS4! You get games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Driveclub etc and more to come!

The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played.

So get a PS3?
Xbox one tbh, here is why

1.You aren't a heavy gamer,
Hence playing a game for a good story would be something that is very important to you, halo, gtav, ac etc
2. You can pick up the habit of playing games to collect achievements, and that will motivate you to get more and more because the look of getting the achievement, and scrolling through different ones will look amazing.
3. Yes, ps4 may have the better hardware but tbh that really isn't noticeable in my opinion ps4 worry too much about being fast instead of making games look good, eg, compare gtav one xbox one vs ps4 the colours and contrasts look more vibrant on xbox not gunna lie,
4. You have so many third party apps on there, netflix, lovefilm, twitch etc its awesome and you can literally play videos through wifi from your windows phone or laptop/comp (when your xbox is on, right click a video file, play to, xbox one)
5. Games are more compressed, so they take up less space on your hard drive
6. Controller feels better in your hand
7. Snap your tv show on the side
8. Xbox live only ever got hacked xmas day other than that they have never been hacked

However if you want to get into multiplayer gaming and will go online gaming a lot, don't get an xbox,

Xbox is more of an entertainment console with every functions of a games console and smart tv built in if thats ur cup of tea go for it,

If not ps4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Find out what your mates have and get that.
Original post by ozzyoscy
So get a PS3?

The question asked was about PS4 or XBONE, not PS3,X360

However, I personally would also recommend a PS3 if thats still on the table ^^
(edited 9 years ago)
No no no. Don't get either of those. Don't touch consoles, ever. Consoles suck, they're garbage. Consoles have ruined the gaming experience and the gaming world. The only way to play a game is on a capable PC. That's the only way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _epicbanana
Xbox one tbh, here is why

1.You aren't a heavy gamer,
Hence playing a game for a good story would be something that is very important to you, halo, gtav, ac etc
2. You can pick up the habit of playing games to collect achievements, and that will motivate you to get more and more because the look of getting the achievement, and scrolling through different ones will look amazing.
3. Yes, ps4 may have the better hardware but tbh that really isn't noticeable in my opinion ps4 worry too much about being fast instead of making games look good, eg, compare gtav one xbox one vs ps4 the colours and contrasts look more vibrant on xbox not gunna lie,
4. You have so many third party apps on there, netflix, lovefilm, twitch etc its awesome and you can literally play videos through wifi from your windows phone or laptop/comp (when your xbox is on, right click a video file, play to, xbox one)
5. Games are more compressed, so they take up less space on your hard drive
6. Controller feels better in your hand
7. Snap your tv show on the side
8. Xbox live only ever got hacked xmas day other than that they have never been hacked

However if you want to get into multiplayer gaming and will go online gaming a lot, don't get an xbox,

Xbox is more of an entertainment console with every functions of a games console and smart tv built in if thats ur cup of tea go for it,

If not ps4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here is a better answer, for either console:

1) It has the games you want to play.

...That's it.

Original post by Illegal Algebra
No no no. Don't get either of those. Don't touch consoles, ever. Consoles suck, they're garbage. Consoles have ruined the gaming experience and the gaming world. The only way to play a game is on a capable PC. That's the only way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not if you wanna play the awesome exclusives.
Reply 15
xbox one or ps4?
Reply 16
What PC do you have? Gaming PC's are superior to consoles
Original post by al_94
What PC do you have? Gaming PC's are superior to consoles

Not really. They're just as good as consoles. It depends what games you want to play and what you want from your gaming.

They might be technologically superior, but this is irrelevant.
Reply 18
Original post by ozzyoscy
Not really. They're just as good as consoles. It depends what games you want to play and what you want from your gaming.

They might be technologically superior, but this is irrelevant.

Yes it does depend on the game but PC games are often running better at least 1080P/60 FPS but the consoles are 720P-900P/30FPS in many games. Also PC allows you to use a keyboard/mouse and controller but console is only controller. PC has mods for games and consoles don't. PC has cheaper games than console.
Being a PC gamer, I really regret not having a PS4 for The Last of Us.

Guess I could do with it on my PS3, but meh.

Quick Reply

Latest