The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beaverhausen
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you won't.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

Posted from TSR Mobile

Voltaire never actually said that.

http://www.voltaire.ox.ac.uk/www_vf/about_voltaire/didnt_say.pdf
Reply 22
That magazine is a disgrace to all people who respect their religion. What a stupid thing to do to sell their material. Unfortunately for them they have suffered the ultimate price. I also am disgusted at the response from the extremists.
Putting aside the fact that the content of the paper has nothing to do with the Je Suis Charlie campaign, the person who made that tumblr has no idea what they're talking about. That paper is left-wing and campaigned against the FN because it believed it to be racist. It is by no means a racist paper.
Both parties are at fault, although people don't seem to consider the magazines fault. Of course if you're going to offend someone's belief and their values and constantly provoke them for the sake of a reaction for publicity or whatever, then they had it coming. Doesn't mean I condone what the attackers did but I guess every villain is a hero in their own mind; to us the comic artists may be advocating free speech whilst to extremist Muslims the attackers may be freedom fighters. Plus, hadn't something like this occurred several years ago were a Danish artist drew the prophet and their security was upped to a high level?
Reply 25
I don't like UKIPs views, doesn't mean I shoot Big Nige. I reserve the right to be offended. UKIP shouldn't have to censor themselves when they're not promoting terrorism or harm.
Reply 26
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
Open your mind my friend. Laws and punishments don't stop murderers from murdering, rapists from raping, druggies from drugging and so on. We live in an anarchic world and there are no rights or freedoms except the ones that are fought for in the present moment.

Haha, well give me a chance to explain it: The base state of nature is anarchy. That is to say that there is nothing stopping you from putting your pants on your head and running down the street shouting "ayy lmao". There is nothing physically preventing someone from going out, getting a gun, and shooting up an office. This is why I say someone is free to do so.

There exists a powerful entity within this anarchy (government/the state) that imposes some level of order, however that is only with the consent of others. Life is Anarchy Rule, it's just that before we were born, a power had been established and brainwashed us into thinking it isn't. And on that note I leave you free to believe as you wish, have a pleasant evening.

anarchy as a political ideaology is an extreme right wing political ideaology which most forms of are based on not having a state, leaders or laws.
anarchy is otherwise used to describe a situation which is far more lawless and chaotic than at most other times.

you're saying "i admit we have laws, leaders and goverments but we live in anarchy (not having laws, leaders and goverments)"?

or are you saying that today in most societies it is far more lawless and chaotic than at most other times throughout civilization? it's not, today most societies are the most lawful and goverment controlled that societies have ever been.

D; my whole life has been a lie. Who did say it then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No you won't.

I didn't write the quote. Just seemed appropriate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically nobody said it, it was written as a narrative to something else he said.
No you won't.

I will though.
Original post by unfathomablee
...they had it coming...

...Doesn't mean I condone what the attackers did...

Hmm.
Reply 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

evelyn beatrice hall wrote it to describe voltaire's belief. supposedly.
Original post by Dexa
That magazine is a disgrace to all people who respect their religion.
that magazine has become a symbol of our freedoms

freedoms that we (as peoples) have fought for centuries to obtain
Both parties are at fault, although people don't seem to consider the magazines fault. Of course if you're going to offend someone's belief and their values and constantly provoke them for the sake of a reaction for publicity or whatever, then they had it coming. Doesn't mean I condone what the attackers did but I guess every villain is a hero in their own mind; to us the comic artists may be advocating free speech whilst to extremist Muslims the attackers may be freedom fighters. Plus, hadn't something like this occurred several years ago were a Danish artist drew the prophet and their security was upped to a high level?

When you take lives, you lose your right to bitch and moan about being offended. People chose to get offended. They make an active choice.
I noticed a cartoon about Christians - two old women implying using a crucifix as a dildo on that link OP posted, As a Catholic, am I now morally justified to go shoot someone?

No. Clearly I'm not. The Muslim extremeist who done this chose to get offended by a cartoon and then chose take lives. He's the problem, not some stupid cartoon which is only half funny.

It's a cartoon, some people need to grow up and get over things. If you let something that stupid offend you, you deserve to be mocked.
Reply 36
Original post by mariachi
that magazine has become a symbol of our freedoms

freedoms that we (as peoples) have fought for centuries to obtain

you're talking out of your ass. why don't you go to a black neighbourhood and call them the n word then? you have a right to say what you want.
Reply 37
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
click on the link it explains why http://avantblargh.tumblr.com/post/107422672105

btw i DON'T CONDONE the shooting

Though my heart goes out to the victims to the shooting at the Charlie Hedbo headquarters ( I ALSO DO NOT CONDONE THE ACT OF VIOLENCE AS A SOLUTION TO RACISM OR HATE ) I need it to be known that this newspaper was not some sweet periodical that used it’s platform of freedom of speech as a catalyst to social change in France. Before you allow Fox News to label the shooters as Muslim Terrorist and that all Muslims are terrorist and that Charlie Hebdo was a magazines for families and saints you need to know that this newspaper was infamously known for being racist, homophobic, and highly islamphobic. I am not one to laugh at a blatant racist comic as “oh lol free speech” because with free speech comes RESPONSIBILITY.

Charlie-Hebdo is a radical-Marxist satirical newspaper. The cover pages mentioned are ironical and mostly targeted right-wing politicians...
As true Marxists, they despise religions and if you had read the paper, you would have seen that they mostly mock Christians - who strangely haven't done anything against them in 40 years.

Moron.:wink:
Original post by Dexa
you're talking out of your ass..
and a nice day to you also, dear friend
Reply 39
Original post by mariachi
and a nice day to you also, dear friend

Forget the jibe, why can't you answer my question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending