The Student Room Group

I’m convinced my ex is guilty. What do you all think?

Apologies this is a long story but i need opinions. Ok so I just ended a four year relationship with my ex but I wanted to read people’s opinions on one particular issue. What does everyone think about this story I am about to tell you.
My ex is an extrovert, confident, personable and sociable with everyone especially men.
She’s also an alcoholic.
Anyway during our time together she would often visit a pub in her local area. The pub is ran by an old man named Charlie, who’s married and is in his seventies. They met through work, she once worked as a salesmen and when she visited the pub she struck up a friendship with this man.
One day she was kind enough to take me there. I met him, he seemed ok but there were things I noticed about their dynamic that made me suspicious. Firstly she went into his office for almost thirty minutes, I had no idea what they were doing but when she came out she just said they were talking - “business.” My ex is somewhat of a wheeler dealer. She would tell me that she and Charlie would often work on secondhand cars to sell for profit. Case in point, the day I met him, we were at a garage next to the pub as she was inspecting a car that he wanted her to work on. End of the night as we were leaving, she said her goodbyes to Charlie, she was very drunk at this point, having regurgitated a few hours prior.

I noticed she grabbed hold of his arm tightly as they were walking. Initially I brushed it off as just a friendly gesture. The type of gesture you would express to a close friend. Two months later, i asked her if she had seen him recently and she told me no because apparently he had sent her a lewd text message. She claims he sent her an explicit message and that it made her feel uncomfortable therefore she cut ties with him. I found this insanely odd and I told her it’s due to her flirtatious nature with him when she’s drunk, she may have given off the wrong signals, especially when she hugged him tight, the night I met him. A few months after that I mentioned the text as she told me she was back to visiting his pub. Clearly she was caught off guard by my query. She told me that he didn’t send her a message from his phone but someone else did by accident. Again I was suspicious but I brushed it off. Long story short we split a few months later for very different reasons. One day I bump into two of the barmaids who work for Charlie, they inform me that my ex was always going into Charlie’s office every time she visited therefore what I witnessed, wasn’t the first time. The ladies also told me that my ex would often receive free drinks but only after every meeting they had in his office and in that order. Eventually I confronted my ex about this matter. Naturally she was defensive, claiming they were just friends and that they were just doing - “business” in his office however she would never clarify what type of business. She then tells me that there were times that she would be left alone with him at the pub after business hours.
She claimed she would stay with him to ensure he would get her back home when she was drunk, which was all the time. She then tells me that one time he gave her extra free drinks with shots and cornered her in his office.
He made advances to her but she rejected him. When I asked her why he was always giving her free drinks her reply was - “because he hoping to get somewhere.” At the end of the conversation I was left miserable, confused and insulted. Furthermore she would also say this - “and even if I did have sex with Charlie, I wouldn’t tell you.”
The two barmaids had also informed me that after our split, she began dating other men from the pub and one particular night, she was literally seducing Charlie at the bar whilst her date for the evening looked on with shame. She seduced Charlie, flirted with him and told him she wanted to go home with him that night but ironically she got off with the DJ instead. Abandoning her date and Charlie in the process. I’ve met Charlie twice and both times he was very awkward with me. Never smiled, or cracked a joke, in fact he seemed envious/jealous of my relationship with my ex. Then the last time i saw him he had the nerve to ask me why we split to which he asked - “too much sex?”
Anyway what do you guys think? Clearly somethings not right, something doesn’t add up. Unfortunately I will never know the truth, it will always remain ambiguous. I’m happier without her now but it still takes the biscuit. The irony is during the years that we were together, I’d always get suspicious about her affiliations with other men but the one man I never considered a threat, might have been the biggest threat of them all…
Reply 1
I think you have reasonable grounds for suspicion. Mind you what she does when you’ve split up is neither here nor there. And it doesn’t sound like she is a partner where things will ever be smooth
Reply 2
There was definitely something inappropriate going on between them. Put it behind you.
Reply 3
You weren't married and she even told you that she doesn't promise to not have sex with someone else, so she's not 'guilty'. She is a 'player' who will probably have very good sides but if being faithful to one person - you - constitutes a vital good side then she wasn't ideal for your needs, at least now. Your relationship was probably beneficial to you both though and feel free to enjoy it in the terms that she made it. But also seek the terms you require elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending