The Student Room Group

OXIDATION NUMBERS urgent

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing oxidation numbers, and I find it difficult finding the oxidation number of a less familiar element (Basically an element tha's not oxygen or hydrogen or fluorine as I know they're oxidation numbers).

For example:

Deduce the oxidation state of each bold element:

NaClO3 - Each of oxygen is -2, so in total oxygen is -6. But how am I am able to work out Na and Cl???

KMnO4 - Likewise with this question also.

Thank you!
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing oxidation numbers, and I find it difficult finding the oxidation number of a less familiar element (Basically an element tha's not oxygen or hydrogen or fluorine as I know they're oxidation numbers).

For example:

NaClO3 - Each of oxygen is -2, so in total oxygen is -6. But how am I am able to work out Na and Cl???

Thank you!

Have you ever seen a group one metal in a state other than +1? If so, I take my hat off to you. But I haven't...

So 1+Cl+(-6)=0
Cl=+5
and
1+Mn+(-8)=0
Mn=+7
Reply 2
Just follow the rules, as explained here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balancing-stoichiometry&right=oxidation-numbers-method

One of the rules is "alkali metals are always +1". After that both your examples become trivial, as shown by langlitz.
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

For example:

Thank you!

Here's an interactive self test on oxidation numbers ... enjoy
Reply 4

This is really useful thanks. Do you know if there are any on shapes of molecules and ions?
Original post by rm_27
This is really useful thanks. Do you know if there are any on shapes of molecules and ions?

Check this out on shapes of molecules ..

Quick Reply

Latest