The Student Room Group

Why I'm not Charlie and never will be

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkap
what these Muslims did was wrong, but I'm sorry these people were not innocent. They were incredibly blasphemous and Anti-Islamic, I mean how would you like it if someone drew nude cartoons of someone so noble to your religion, Muslims all over the world were angered by this, something that happened in France caused massive protests in the Middle East. And yet they carried on, and what was there excuse?? 'freedom of expression'! What about freedom of expression when wearing the Hijab(headscarf)?? I condemn at what the gunmen did but they had it coming to them. JE NE SUIS PAS CHARLIE

'They had it coming to them.'

Blasphemy is not a crime, and nor is criticising Islam. So yes, I'm afraid these people were innocent.

I don't understand why you're prattling on about excuses; they don't need an excuse to say things that you don't like. That's precisely the point.

Incidentally, I do believe that banning the hijab is a terrible failure for freedom of expression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
Why are you absolving these sick individuals of personal responsibility?

Also if you could clarify your first sentence please.

I'm not, I can't help but believe that they're religion plays a part. When you look at the number of attacks by Muslims and then look at the number of violent passages in the quran it doesn't seem as surprising.

Charlie Hebdo mocks Christianity, Jews, Muslims, right wing politics literally everyone they personally disagree with and yet only one of those groups decided to attack them twice in less than four years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
I'm not, I can't help but believe that they're religion plays a part. When you look at the number of attacks by Muslims and then look at the number of violent passages in the quran it doesn't seem as surprising.

Charlie Hebdo mocks Christianity, Jews, Muslims, right wing politics literally everyone they personally disagree with and yet only one of those groups decided to attack them twice in less than four years

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you look at the statistics of "terrorists" (killers, murderers, mentaly ill who use Islam to justify their sick acts) vs peaceful muslims, it is apparent that you are the one who has been brainwashed to believe a lie.

"I'm not brainwashed"

Classic.
Reply 183
Marine Le Pen and her father said they are not Charlie as well. The OP is not alone.
Original post by Harvey Dent
But guys, it's a religion of peace remember, and it's perfect.

It IS a religion of peace. And it IS perfect.

The religion IS perfect, whereas the people are not.

This is a statement that you will refuse to agree to right now, but i swear, there will be a time when you will agree.

Thats all.
Original post by alevels2k15

This is a statement that you will refuse to agree to right now, but i swear, there will be a time when you will agree.

Thats all.

It isn't perfect. You cannot use a guide from the 7th century to dictate your life in the 21st century. It just doesn't work and it shows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
It isn't perfect. You cannot use a guide from the 7th century to dictate your life in the 21st century. It just doesn't work and it shows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is.
And i just did.
It does work.
Original post by bittr n swt
I won't click on that link thanks.

Anyways I think this is just making things worse.

Funny , France has been invade before 2 years continuously mali yemen and Iraq and help strike Libya killed thousands of people and its working on invading and strike .

Guys dont follow the the news what France trying to explain .

France was playing big role to this countries and they are shock from attack a jewish grocery store and magazine who say some thing hearts our religion. Our prophet mohammed

Guys what I'm trying to say that france should have some thing worst because it deserve it many people has been homeless from strikes you dont know because you are sitting your a**ess. In paris eating french fries and cheese cake and espersesso see what france did

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats all.

If it were perfect, there would be no way to misunderstand it to justify killing - or peaceful, for that matter.
Original post by Skip_Snip
If it were perfect, there would be no way to misunderstand it to justify killing - or peaceful, for that matter.

I said the religion was perfect and the people ARE not.
Since the people are not perfect, defects in their brains caused them to misunderstand a part of the glorious text.
You're trying to say that islam justifies this horrendous act. Infact, it condems it.
Dont even bother arguing with what i have just stated.
I said the religion was perfect and the people ARE not.
Since the people are not perfect, defects in their brains caused them to misunderstand a part of the glorious text.
You're trying to say that islam justifies this horrendous act. Infact, it condems it.
Dont even bother arguing with what i have just stated.

Religion is defined by its followers.
If it were perfect, there'd literally be no way for it to be used to justify violence.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Religion is defined by its followers.
If it were perfect, there'd literally be no way for it to be used to justify violence.

ISLAM DOES NOT JUSTIFY VIOLENCE! Those people have NOT been able to justify their acts of violence using the Holy Qur'an.
There are many muslims that are OPPOSING this act of violence commited by them! Why?... Because ISLAM does Not Justify violence.

Those people are wronging islam.
Mm.

Previously I thought that Charlie Hebdo 'merely' made caricatures of the prophet Mohammed. Understanding the context of satirising the massacres, I'm less inclined to sympathise with Mr. Hebdo's actions, yes. However, I can never sympathise or allow the actions of the terrorists to be a justifiable response.
They're right. Muslims should stop hiding behind their ****ing Qurans and learn to think for themselves. Everything they do is literally "oh but the Koran says this"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by Asklepios
They're right. Muslims should stop hiding behind their ****ing Qurans and learn to think for themselves. Everything they do is literally "oh but the Koran says this"

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the koran does say that.
Original post by justforonegif
disgusting.

should be ashamed of yourself. it wasn't a dig at Muslims alone.it was taking mick out of the thousand+ who died because they wanted to peacefully protest.

Protest against what? Charlie Hebdo are criticising islam, and they have the right to do so. I do not think they are being offensive with this cartoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are defending Charlie, or doing this whole trend about 'I'm Charlie', you are basically defending antisemitism, racism, Islamophoba, bigotry and xenophobia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios
Protest against what? Charlie Hebdo are criticising islam, and they have the right to do so. I do not think they are being offensive with this cartoon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google Rabaa massacre and then come back to post.
Original post by IdeasForLife
The cartoons below are drawn by Charlie Hebdo, the french magazine which recently got attacked by gunmen.

It shows a muslim man using the Quran as (bullets going through it) with the caption "the Quran is s*** it doesn't stop bulllets" after the Rabaa massacre in Egypt. Over 1000 Egyptians were killed by their own military whilst peacefully protesting.

This is one of the reasons I am not charlie. I do make fun of massacres.I am above that. If someone where to make fun of holocaust victims, they would be called quite a few bad names(and rightly so). It shouldn't be any different when people make fun of other atrocities.

The other cartoon shows, Mrs Taubira, a government minister, as a monkey simply because she is a black woman. I do not support racism, so yet again, I am not Charlie.

Just to add - I do not support the gunmen or anything of the like.

The images are in the spoiler, you may find them offensive, so I've given you the option whether you wish to view them or not.

Spoiler

Freudian slip? :tongue: I'm kidding of course.

While I agree with you that those cartoons are unnecessarily offensive, I think violence should never be considered an acceptable response to things like this.

I don't buy the newspapers or magazines, nor am I planning on buying them in the future. But I don't see why we need to ban satire and dark humour completely. AFAIK, we're allowed to joke about Hitler and Holocaust, even if some may find that kind of thing offensive.
Charlie Hebdo was disgusting, to put it mildly, but still I don't support the killing of someone just because they offended you. My issue with this entire situation is that the media are purporting this as something intrinsic in islamic culture; that is, that Muslims think it's acceptable to respond in such a way to mockery. Honestly, I disagree with that idea completely. I think we should categorize and understand the behaviour and motivation of the gunmen as exactly what it is, a horrible, irrational but completely understandable psychological (and human) response. When you mock something that holds sentimental value to someone, they become angry, and sadly some of them become violent. That sentimentality isn't restricted to religion nevermind exclusively to Islam or Muslims.

I dunno, just my 2p.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending