The Student Room Group

How to find Stationary points when there are 2 varaibles.

So question is find stationary points of the curve : x^3 + y^3 -3xy = 48 and determine their nature.
I am not sure. I have tried diffentiating x and then y then rearranging/simultaneuos equations but i keep on getting zeros when the the stationary point is meant to be 2,4 for max and -6^1/3, 6^2/3 for min.
Original post by Nirm
So question is find stationary points of the curve : x^3 + y^3 -3xy = 48 and determine their nature.
I am not sure. I have tried diffentiating x and then y then rearranging/simultaneuos equations but i keep on getting zeros when the the stationary point is meant to be 2,4 for max and -6^1/3, 6^2/3 for min.

You need to differentiate implicitly with respect to x.
x3x^3 differentiates normally
y3y^3 you differentiate with respect to y, then multiply by dydx\frac{dy}{dx}
3xy-3xy you use product rule(-3x and y), when you differentiate y, differentiate it with respect to y then multiply by dydx\frac{dy}{dx}
4848 becomes 0.

Rearrange the final equation to get dydx\frac{dy}{dx} on one side, then find the values of x and y for which the differential equals 0.
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
You need to differentiate implicitly with respect to x.
x3x^3 differentiates normally
y3y^3 you differentiate with respect to y, then multiply by dydx\frac{dy}{dx}
3xy-3xy you use product rule(-3x and y), when you differentiate y, differentiate it with respect to y then multiply by dydx\frac{dy}{dx}
4848 becomes 0.

Rearrange the final equation to get dydx\frac{dy}{dx} on one side, then find the values of x and y for which the differential equals 0.

Okay so for x^3, i get 3x^2
y^3 is y^3 times by dy/dx
and for -3xy i get -3y+(-3x times by dy/dx)

Just want to make sure if it is right.:colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nirm
Okay so for x^3, i get 3x^2
y^3 is y^3 times by dy/dx
and for -3xy i get -3y+(-3x times by dy/dx)

Just want to make sure if it is right.

The second one is incorrect.

You should have 3x2+3y2dydx3y3xdydx=03x^2 + 3y^{2}\frac{dy}{dx} - 3y - 3x\frac{dy}{dx} = 0
Reply 4
The second one is incorrect.

You should have 3x2+3y2dydx3y3xdydx=03x^2 + 3y^{2}\frac{dy}{dx} - 3y - 3x\frac{dy}{dx} = 0

Ahh okay thanks!:smile:. Also i was looking at your stats just found it really weird how in c4 you got 100% but in c1 c2 you got worse ( silly mistakes i guess :rolleyes:)
Original post by Nirm
Ahh okay thanks!:smile:. Also i was looking at your stats just found it really weird how in c4 you got 100% but in c1 c2 you got worse ( silly mistakes i guess :rolleyes:)

C1, C2 and S1 were mostly self taught in year 11. I didn't have so much time and didn't know the most efficient ways of studying etc. yet, so didn't do so well. You might notice that my worst module last year was equal to my best module the year before.
Reply 6
C1, C2 and S1 were mostly self taught in year 11. I didn't have so much time and didn't know the most efficient ways of studying etc. yet, so didn't do so well. You might notice that my worst module last year was equal to my best module the year before.

WOW, amazing. You did it in year 11!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Nirm

If you wanted further insight, this is called Implicit Differentiation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_function

The method behind differentiating some function of y w.r.t x is via the chain rule:

We imagine y as a function of x, y(x). In the case of y3y^3. Let f(x)=x3f(x) = x^3, thus f(y(x))=(y(x))3f(y(x)) = (y(x))^3

ddx(f(y(x)))=ddx((y(x))3)=3y(x)y(x)=3y2dydx\dfrac{d}{dx}(f(y(x))) = \dfrac{d}{dx}((y(x))^3) = 3y(x)y'(x) = 3y^2 \dfrac{dy}{dx}.

Chain rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule

Quick Reply

Latest