The Student Room Group

Bath or Nottingham for Maths and Economics?

Now I'm on the right page, I'll give this another go haha

Hi guys, I've seen some previous threads and really need some help! I'm currently studying A-levels in Maths, Further Maths and Economics, and want to study Maths and Econ at uni.
I am currently holding offers from Bath and Nottingham, and can't decide which one to put as my firm. Bath ask for A*AA and Nottingham ask for AAA/A*AB.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with pros and cons (some of the stuff I've seen on here was from like 2010, I wanted some more up to date info) of each uni. I know Economics departments are pretty solid, but certain things like Nottingham is a Russell Group uni and Bath isn't, but Bath has a years placement etc is confusing me and I can't make my mind up. I'm not in any rush, just wondering what your thoughts are?
Reply 1
Well it all comes down to preference tbh.

However, i can assure you the departments of Maths and Econ are slightly better than Bath's department. Not to do with rankings, but it's just how students look at it. Notts has apparently the 'best' night life and all sorts of activities related to night life, and most choose Notts also because of that and obviously because it's a solid T10 for every subject and behind just a few for the course you want to do.

Unfortunately i don't have anyone going/or any info about Bath but i know for a fact that their Science department, is a T5 in the country, so assuming that i'm sure their Maths dept. will obviously be a very good one. Their rankings on Econ, Maths and Law is excellent, and it's well respected because it's known as one of those 'Good old unis' like Oxbridge.

Hope that helps, on Notts i knew more in depth since my friends applied and some are already in their 2nd year.. However, don't forget that both are outstanding unis and it all comes down to personal preference. If it was me i'd be in a dilemma too tbh :biggrin:
Reply 2
Yeah I've heard a lot about Nottingham's nightlife! Tbh it's not a major factor of what uni I decide to go to, although I might think differently when I actually get there haha. I'm aware that for my subjects, the unis have very similar rankings, but overall Bath is higher than Notts on league tables.

I didn't actually like the city of Nottingham much, because it reminded me of London a lot. However I did like the campuses quite a bit, and accommodation was decent. I'm waiting to visit Bath and maybe then I will be able to make a more informed decision.

I'm just wondering if Bath/Nottingham will make any difference with employers, for Economic Consultancy for example.

Thank you for the reply!
Original post by Sheeranlover

Hi guys, I've seen some previous threads and really need some help! I'm currently studying A-levels in Maths, Further Maths and Economics, and want to study Maths and Econ at uni.
I am currently holding offers from Bath and Nottingham, and can't decide which one to put as my firm. Bath ask for A*AA and Nottingham ask for AAA/A*AB.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with pros and cons (some of the stuff I've seen on here was from like 2010, I wanted some more up to date info) of each uni. I know Economics departments are pretty solid, but certain things like Nottingham is a Russell Group uni and Bath isn't, but Bath has a years placement etc is confusing me and I can't make my mind up. I'm not in any rush, just wondering what your thoughts are?

Having worked for a year is a big advantage when you reach the 'real' (i.e. post-university) world.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Having worked for a year is a big advantage when you reach the 'real' (i.e. post-university) world.

Yeah, it's actually one of the reasons I applied to Bath! Definitely something I'll consider. Thank you!
Yeah, it's actually one of the reasons I applied to Bath! Definitely something I'll consider. Thank you!

I would consider it to be a greater advantage than one's university belonging to a research/lobby group...
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
I would consider it to be a greater advantage than one's university belonging to a research/lobby group...

I know, but despite Bath's high rankings, many people have told me that Nottingham is better. It's just that view of Russell Group unis having a better reputation than other unis etc. I definitely think that Bath would be great, but hope it doesn't conflict with future job prospects. So much information, don't know what sites to trust lol.

can I say that bath is definitely one of the top maths schools in the uk and the university is certainly not inferior to Nottingham. it has recently been sunday times university of the year and has great student satisfaction rates. the fact it is not in the Russell group is meaningless. the difference in standings is negligeable but bath is probably higher rated.

the big issues for you are where will you be happiest and which course do you prefer. Nottingham is far bigger as a city and uni than bath . its nightlife has the reputation of being amongst the best and bath wont compare with that. bath unis sports facilities are however amongst the best anywhere.

basically you need to visit both and decide for yourself. both are excellent unis. from your comments I suspect you will prefer bath
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
can I say that bath is definitely one of the top maths schools in the uk and the university is certainly not inferior to Nottingham. it has recently been sunday times university of the year and has great student satisfaction rates. the fact it is not in the Russell group is meaningless. the difference in standings is negligeable but bath is probably higher rated.

the big issues for you are where will you be happiest and which course do you prefer. Nottingham is far bigger as a city and uni than bath . its nightlife has the reputation of being amongst the best and bath wont compare with that. bath unis sports facilities are however amongst the best anywhere.

basically you need to visit both and decide for yourself. both are excellent unis. from your comments I suspect you will prefer bath

Yes, I think I probably need to look into the courses a bit more! And maybe the teaching styles hmm. They both have great points about them, but you are right, I need to visit Bath first! I'm going to an open day in Feb, so hopefully I'll get an idea then. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest