The Student Room Group

Economics

Hi - 2 Quick Questions: What do we think are the most Mathematical Economics Courses? And can you apply to MORSE at Warwick with a very highly economics tailored personal statement?
For the first question, generally LSE, Cambridge, Warwick and UCL are considered very mathematical even by economics course standards - three of those at the least give you options to take (introductory) real analysis for example.

For the second question, they state they are quite happy to accept applicants with primarily maths focused personal statements as it is fundamentally a maths based course. Since the majority of the first two years of courses are in the maths and stats departments, you should consider whether that aligns with your interests - and if it does, consider whether you are better off looking at maths courses elsewhere as well!
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply - which unis is it that offer these real analysis modules?
Original post by s2715
Hi, thanks for your reply - which unis is it that offer these real analysis modules?

LSE is one of them
Reply 4
Original post by confuzzledteen
LSE is one of them

yeah I'd love to apply to LSE but no Further Maths so pretty pointless me wasting one of my options on LSE. I've applied Oxford, Warwick, Birmingham (got an offer in less than 24hrs) and so got two more options left. Currently thinking UCL and Bath for last two but unsure if I should pick a safety with lower grades + London living prices for UCL are scary lmao.
Original post by artful_lounger
For the first question, generally LSE, Cambridge, Warwick and UCL are considered very mathematical even by economics course standards - three of those at the least give you options to take (introductory) real analysis for example.

For the second question, they state they are quite happy to accept applicants with primarily maths focused personal statements as it is fundamentally a maths based course. Since the majority of the first two years of courses are in the maths and stats departments, you should consider whether that aligns with your interests - and if it does, consider whether you are better off looking at maths courses elsewhere as well!

Hi, quick question - Im in yr13 with predicted grades of A*A*A* in economics, business and english lang/lit, however i wish to apply for economics at university of nottingham without maths alevel since i got a 5 at GCSE. I am projected to reach a 7 in maths in my nov resits, so my question is, is it possible that University of Nottingham will consider me for a place / or even a contextual offer since im from a bad area. GCSE Grades being: 987766554
Original post by Rushcliffeboy101
Hi, quick question - Im in yr13 with predicted grades of A*A*A* in economics, business and english lang/lit, however i wish to apply for economics at university of nottingham without maths alevel since i got a 5 at GCSE. I am projected to reach a 7 in maths in my nov resits, so my question is, is it possible that University of Nottingham will consider me for a place / or even a contextual offer since im from a bad area. GCSE Grades being: 987766554

I can't see why not.

Although I'm not sure why you are aiming for economics at degree level if maths is demonstrably a weaker area for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending