The Student Room Group

can i get into top uni's with these gcse grades

Thx
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Have you looked at the entry requirements - both A levels and GCSEs - for these degree subjects on a range of different Uni websites ...?

Start by doing that.
Then go to some Uni Open Days, and ask some questions - yes you can go in Year 12.
Original post by user_a17240
Hi
In my GCSE, I got 2 A* in Maths and English Lang, 2 A's in Chemistry and Physics, 5 B's in Biology (6), Eng Lit (6), Spanish (5), RS (5) and CompSci (5).

I have taken Maths, Chemistry and Economics for A-Levels

Can I still get into top Universities like Oxford or other Russel Groups (abroad aswell) , if I want to go into Economics or Data Science?

Will these gcse lower my chances of getting into top Uni's? I haven't got my predicted grades for A-Level yet.

Thanks, I have been working hard during the first few weeks of sixth form and have realised that the Uni's I want to go into/my parents want me to go to are quite high and I wanted to know If i still had the chance to be accepted into these uni's, with these grades in GCSE.

RG tag is irrelevant- this has been discussed umpteen times and you need to educate yourself on this by reading some of the thousands of posts where people have explained it before.

In terms of Oxford, they do have a stronger emphasis on GCSEs so you might be less competitive for E&M or PPE there. For CS and/or maths at Oxford (they don't offer data science) GCSEs are less important than the MAT so strong performance in the MAT would make more of a difference than the GCSEs, however lack of A-level Further Maths probably rules those courses out anyway.

LSE Economics is a non-starter as you don't have FM and also they do look at GCSEs and competitive applicants tend to have a stronger GCSE profile. I suspect the same would be true of other mathematical courses at LSE.

Imperial are less fussed about GCSEs I think although I strongly suspect lack of FM would be a barrier for maths/CS. Likewise for UCL and Cambridge economics/CS/maths (UCL probably weaker for maths anyway though) and probably Warwick maths/CS/data science (although in principle Warwick economics indicates FM is not preferred over other subjects so that may be a consideration).

Outside of those though you're probably basically fine. Bristol, Bath, Southampton, St Andrews, Manchester, Edinburgh, Nottingham etc, all may be viable options for economics/CS/maths/"data science-y" courses. As above Warwick economics may be an option too.

Quick Reply

Latest