The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

What an awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful, awful play call!

There was a bad play call in the play-offs that one of the greats tweeted that they'd be telling their grandchildren about how bad it was. I can't remember what it was - can anyone? - because this was so much worse.

You have the game for the taking. Your main running back has demonstrated throughout that he gets the two yards distance to the goal line after he's been tackled. If, by some miracle, the defence get to him before gets to the line of scrimmage, you have more plays and a time out. If you spot that it's likely to happen, your QB can be in the endzone with the ball before they realise the RB hasn't got it. WTF would you want to throw it?!?

Especially to someone who's outside the endzone?!?

And after telegraphing that you were going for a pass by lining up without a running back?!?

The only way that a pass could possibly have made sense in that situation is if one of Lynch's legs had dropped off. Even then, you tape it back on and send him in so that the defence are expecting a run...
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Best Running Back in the league and Wilson throws it, someone's getting sacked today.

Best Super Bowl I've seen so far though (admittedly only the fourth).

A lot of people are calling it the best they've ever seen. Would still rank a few over it though but this was definitely too 5.
Edelman or Matthews should have been MVP.
Reply 423
I still haven't seen it!!! Tiredness absolutely killed me off at the end of Q1, damn my weekend and lack of real interest in either team.
Hi guys! Watched the superbowl yesterday, it was the first ever NFL game I've seen... Needless to say I found it pretty interesting and enjoyable to watch! Where can I watch some more? I know it's post-season but there's got to be somewhere where I can watch American Football to get me into it for the next 7 months or whatever it is before the next NFL season begins?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 425
Original post by jakemac
Hi guys! Watched the superbowl yesterday, it was the first ever NFL game I've seen... Needless to say I found it pretty interesting and enjoyable to watch! Where can I watch some more? I know it's post-season but there's got to be somewhere where I can watch American Football to get me into it for the next 7 months or whatever it is before the next NFL season begins?

Thanks

NFL Game Pass has gone to £30 offseason pricing for access until July 31 2015. You could watch every regular season game from 2009-2014 as well as all of the playoffs.

Link is here:

http://https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages?ttv=0

We've got enough knowledge on here that we can recommend particularly good games for any teams that you're interested in. It is 7 months until real football again. I did not want to be reminded of that fact :frown:
Original post by Wattsy
NFL Game Pass has gone to £30 offseason pricing for access until July 31 2015. You could watch every regular season game from 2009-2014 as well as all of the playoffs.

Link is here:

http://https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages?ttv=0

We've got enough knowledge on here that we can recommend particularly good games for any teams that you're interested in. It is 7 months until real football again. I did not want to be reminded of that fact :frown:

Very nice, thank you! I'll get that ASAP! I don't really know much about the teams, I have a vague idea of which teams exist but I don't know which are the best/which to support. Who do you support? What are your favourite games?
One thing thats really annoying me is saying Brady didn't play well or he didn't deserve the MVP. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Reply 428
Original post by jakemac
Very nice, thank you! I'll get that ASAP! I don't really know much about the teams, I have a vague idea of which teams exist but I don't know which are the best/which to support. Who do you support? What are your favourite games?

I think if you're looking to support a team but have no geographical links then you should watch some teams and find one you like. For me anyway, teams have different personalities, some you like, some you don't like. Two examples from me: I hate the Patriots, they're the NFL's typical bad guy with their frequent scandals and crazy coach. I like the Texans even though they're a divisional rival to the Jaguars because they play such blue collar football. This year they barely had a QB but through a great run game and some monstrous defense courtesy of JJ Watt and the rest of that unit, they managed 7 wins.

I'm a Jaguars fan because they're the team I saw at Wembley first, they're a young up and coming team on both sides of the ball so that makes them an interesting prospect. They do lose a lot though, winning hasn't come often this season. Their most exciting game from this season is against the Giants if you were interested.
This is the first time I've been able to face this thread. I can't be mad at the play call because without Pete Carroll and Darell Bevell etc we never would have made it. Still, what makes it so galling is how close we came. Aaaaah
Original post by Malevolent
One thing thats really annoying me is saying Brady didn't play well or he didn't deserve the MVP. That couldn't be further from the truth.

He did play well but I think there were others who deserved the MVP more. That first pick was ugly
Original post by cant_think_of_name
He did play well but I think there were others who deserved the MVP more. That first pick was ugly

The first pick was ugly yeah but he basically ripped that secondary to shreds. A lot of people are saying he dinked and dunked, well yeah of course he did. Seattles defensive scheme limits the big plays so what else was he supposed to do.

I have no problem it going to Edelman because he was huge for us but for people to say Brady played mediocre is absurd.

And dont worry you lot will come back stronger from this, trust me I know how it feels to have the team come so close yet fall right at the end.
In support of Brady, first time ever a QB has thrown four TDs against a defense with Sherman.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
In support of Brady, first time ever a QB has thrown four TDs against a defense with Sherman.

I mean he did what very few have been able to achieve. The first pick. Ugly as hell no Idea what he was thinking there. Second pick was a good play by the LB. Besides that he was close to flawless. He did what Peyton Manning couldn't.
Original post by Wattsy
I think if you're looking to support a team but have no geographical links then you should watch some teams and find one you like. For me anyway, teams have different personalities, some you like, some you don't like. Two examples from me: I hate the Patriots, they're the NFL's typical bad guy with their frequent scandals and crazy coach. I like the Texans even though they're a divisional rival to the Jaguars because they play such blue collar football. This year they barely had a QB but through a great run game and some monstrous defense courtesy of JJ Watt and the rest of that unit, they managed 7 wins.

I'm a Jaguars fan because they're the team I saw at Wembley first, they're a young up and coming team on both sides of the ball so that makes them an interesting prospect. They do lose a lot though, winning hasn't come often this season. Their most exciting game from this season is against the Giants if you were interested.

Ah cool thanks for all your help. I'll have a look at the jaguars vs giants game and see which teams I like
Original post by Malevolent
The first pick was ugly yeah but he basically ripped that secondary to shreds. A lot of people are saying he dinked and dunked, well yeah of course he did. Seattles defensive scheme limits the big plays so what else was he supposed to do.

I have no problem it going to Edelman because he was huge for us but for people to say Brady played mediocre is absurd.

And dont worry you lot will come back stronger from this, trust me I know how it feels to have the team come so close yet fall right at the end.

Edelman would've had two TDs if it wasn't for a poor throw from Brady, when he did the same move that got him a TD laster on, so I'd give MVP to Edelman.

I don't have much of a problem with Brady getting it, although I would've preferred Edelman or Matthews. The thing is, however, that they were one yard away from Brady being ripped to pieces over his picks.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
This is the first time I've been able to face this thread. I can't be mad at the play call because without Pete Carroll and Darell Bevell etc we never would have made it. Still, what makes it so galling is how close we came. Aaaaah

What's amazing me is Carroll insisting it was the right call.

No, it wasn't.

Even if you accept a pass was a good idea - which I don't - you don't telegraph it by lining up without a back. Plus what does it say about your confidence in your running game if you don't think you can get one yard in three attempts?
I don't believe it was the wrong play, it just didn't work.
Saw a funny tweet about Edelman on Sunday

As soon as I saw Julian Edelman's arms I knew they were going to be the key to this game.
Original post by Motorbiker
You know what's stupid.

That's a catch by matthews but the Bryant catch at the end of the packers game was not. This game is stupid sometimes .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which catch are you talking about? I didn't see any controversial catches by Matthews????

The Bryant drop (don't call it a catch because it......) hit the floor and came out. Aka not a catch.

Quick Reply

Latest