The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notwinter
Well I have a place at Leeds for fine art and curation and my only interview left is Chelsea which is on the 3rd!
oh gosh I'm so worried about Slade now

Ah yeah I remember you saying about chelsea now! I have chelsea too on the 4th!

Mmmm me too :frown:
Original post by meganabcdefg
Ah yeah I remember you saying about chelsea now! I have chelsea too on the 4th!

Mmmm me too :frown:

It better be tomorrow as for some reason I've got in my mind that it is.... if it's not I'll be really bummed.
Do you think they mark out of 10.. and everyone that's like above I donnu 8 gets in?

How do you score a portfolio?
:/
Reply 242
You like it or not :smile:
What was in the air in Feb 2012 that meant for so many applicants to express themselves publicly on TSR than other years? why so few this year? I bet u there's a dozen or so fellow applicants following our thread but just cants bring themselves to comment. just waiting to join with 'got an interview'
Reply 244
It's one of those threads which in a matter of days will become very irrelevant for most of us. Unfortunately.
Well, one can only dream.
Original post by bertiewallace123
What was in the air in Feb 2012 that meant for so many applicants to express themselves publicly on TSR than other years? why so few this year? I bet u there's a dozen or so fellow applicants following our thread but just cants bring themselves to comment. just waiting to join with 'got an interview'

There's 6 of us though!
in 2011 there was only like 4 people talking on a thread.
Original post by eei
It's one of those threads which in a matter of days will become very irrelevant for most of us. Unfortunately.
Well, one can only dream.

that is very true
how sad :-(
Reply 247
Hi guys

I'm currently in my first year at the Slade, you've probably seen my portfolio if you were as snoopy and obsessive as I was last year. Given that portfolio inspections were last week, I was reminded of how awful it was last January, but how great it was to have people to talk to on here, so I had a little look to see if people were doing the same this year.

Everyone in the school is completely and utterly different from anyone else there, so my strongest advice is to NOT try and make work to fit into what you might think the Slade is 'looking for'. They aren't looking for a set number of drawings, a certain style, a specific theme or whatever. What they want is people who are interested in what they are interested in, whatever that may be. It's so easy to see when someone is just making work in an attempt to appease them. So put the things you are proud of in your portfolio! Talk about the things you want to talk about if you get an interview. They are interested in YOU more than anything.

Everyone who got in last year is doing completely different things. There are traditional painters, there are poets, there are people who hurt themselves and film it... there are people who make RPG games, and there are people who don't make anything at all because all they want to do right now is read, and all of these things are legitimate and encouraged.

I'd say the one thing that does play a role in whether you get an interview is whether there are lots of people making similar work to you, which is often the case because we all come from similar backgrounds in terms of school and foundation. From having spoken to the tutors etc who interviewed, what they are looking for is diversity, commitment to work, self-direction, interest, passion and perhaps a little eccentricity of character (everyone here is somewhat strange).

It's stupid to worry and fret about how your work compares to the work of others, because that is exactly what will stop you producing work that is interesting to you.
Original post by Zoeah
Hi guys

I'm currently in my first year at the Slade, you've probably seen my portfolio if you were as snoopy and obsessive as I was last year. Given that portfolio inspections were last week, I was reminded of how awful it was last January, but how great it was to have people to talk to on here, so I had a little look to see if people were doing the same this year.

Everyone in the school is completely and utterly different from anyone else there, so my strongest advice is to NOT try and make work to fit into what you might think the Slade is 'looking for'. They aren't looking for a set number of drawings, a certain style, a specific theme or whatever. What they want is people who are interested in what they are interested in, whatever that may be. It's so easy to see when someone is just making work in an attempt to appease them. So put the things you are proud of in your portfolio! Talk about the things you want to talk about if you get an interview. They are interested in YOU more than anything.

Everyone who got in last year is doing completely different things. There are traditional painters, there are poets, there are people who hurt themselves and film it... there are people who make RPG games, and there are people who don't make anything at all because all they want to do right now is read, and all of these things are legitimate and encouraged.

I'd say the one thing that does play a role in whether you get an interview is whether there are lots of people making similar work to you, which is often the case because we all come from similar backgrounds in terms of school and foundation. From having spoken to the tutors etc who interviewed, what they are looking for is diversity, commitment to work, self-direction, interest, passion and perhaps a little eccentricity of character (everyone here is somewhat strange).

It's stupid to worry and fret about how your work compares to the work of others, because that is exactly what will stop you producing work that is interesting to you.

This was encouraging advice, thank-you so much! I think I might have seen your portfolio but I might have a re-snoop 😅

I have been getting alerts whenever anyone posts on this thread by the way, it's somewhat amusing to say the least.

Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoeah
Hi guys

Thank you so much for the reply, this is very helpful.
We're all just hoping for the best. I think we're going a bit weird from worrying about it.

Do you think it matters if you included different things in your portfolio eg: painting and sculpture. Because it appears the portfolios that get in are the ones that stick to one discipline. :-(
btw: I love the portfolio have online. It is stunning
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 250
and there are people who don't make anything at all because all they want to do right now is read, and all of these things are legitimate and encouraged

yep, that's me alright :smile:
i've done absolutely nothing during my foundation - merely collage sketches, propositions of future artwork, kinda placeholders and loads of research. I'm absolutely broke, with no money for paint, canvases. Been reusing found in the skips bottom parts of discarded drawers and old newspapers :smile:
Reply 251
Original post by eei
yep, that's me alright :smile:
i've done absolutely nothing during my foundation - merely collage sketches, propositions of future artwork, kinda placeholders and loads of research. I'm absolutely broke, with no money for paint, canvases. Been reusing found in the skips bottom parts of discarded drawers and old newspapers :smile:

I know someone who got in with a portfolio he made on the bus to london, and someone else who scrapped having a portfolio altogether. (both of whom are some of the most talented and creative people i have ever met). You have just as much of a shot as anyone !
Reply 252
Original post by Notwinter
Thank you so much for the reply, this is very helpful.
We're all just hoping for the best. I think we're going a bit weird from worrying about it.

Do you think it matters if you included different things in your portfolio eg: painting and sculpture. Because it appears the portfolios that get in are the ones that stick to one discipline. :-(
btw: I love the portfolio have online. It is stunning

Thank you!

From what I have gathered, when they are looking at portfolios they are trying to get a sense of who you are as a person. SO if you are a multi-disciplinary artist, that is who you are!! I for one, just happened to get super interested in one material at that point, and was making a huge amount of work in a short space of time with the same materials I had available to me, but what I spoke about in my interview was how interested I was in material itself. They were more interested in how interested I was, and the way I spoke about the artists I inspired me, I think, than my actual work.
Reply 253
My tutors have friends at Slade and the bottom line is that nobody really knows what they're looking for. No point really in looking at the work of others with some expectation of finding it out, because it means absolutely nothing. And I don't think any school wants to create clones, so yeah, I understand what you're saying. Still, thank you for encouragement.
Amazing & thorough advice Zoeah I also would like to know whether they're actually interested in a range of works or a more focused approach? thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see you've answered it thank you :smile: great advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 256
As far as I remember, they said something about showing stuff which is relevant to your practice. If you don't do figurative painting or photography/video where you need sketches then there's no need to include life drawings. Still, my tutor insisted on some drawings in my portfolio (which is completely different to all the mini folios, because I focused on painting and printmaking more), but if I ever get an interview, I will replace them with some photos of the recent installations.
Reply 257
Original post by eei
My tutors have friends at Slade and the bottom line is that nobody really knows what they're looking for. No point really in looking at the work of others with some expectation of finding it out, because it means absolutely nothing. And I don't think any school wants to create clones, so yeah, I understand what you're saying. Still, thank you for encouragement.

Exactly. I remember looking high and low for that magic 'formula' last year, and my tutor basically took me aside and told me that I should stop looking at the work of others if it was going to impact what I was making, so I did. I don't think the tutors even know what they are looking for, until they find it!
Do you think it's likely they will start sending decisions tomorrow?
Reply 259
Original post by Artfanatic
Do you think it's likely they will start sending decisions tomorrow?

It's reading week, so it's a lot quieter now. I think it took them a couple of weeks last year, so I wouldn't count on it.

Quick Reply

Latest