The Student Room Group

Animation Uni in UK I don't know where to go

I want to do an animation course for university but I have no idea where to go. I have an understanding of 2D tweening and frame-by-frame animation (I really enjoy it too) and want to have a go at 3D. My original choice was University for the Creative Arts but from reviews I have seen, that University isn't the best choice at the moment and now I'm lost.
(edited 5 months ago)
You get 5 choices on UCAS so you can apply for a range of choices and then decide next year when you have offers and have had a chance to visit
Reply 2
Hello DemisedKenze
Animation degrees can vary in quality enormously across the UK. I would recommend looking at the following (note these are my suggestions based on either knowing some of the staff at these universities or having seen the work of their students - my knowledge is not perfect, so do your own research as well):

Arts University of Bournemouth (for 2D or 3D Animation)
Escape Studios (for 3D Animation)
Staffordshire (for games art)
Leeds (for concept art)
and also (because I work there!)
University of Hertfordshire (for 2D or 3D Animation & VFX, Games Art and Comics and Concept Art )
Reply 3
Original post by moid
Hello DemisedKenze
Animation degrees can vary in quality enormously across the UK. I would recommend looking at the following (note these are my suggestions based on either knowing some of the staff at these universities or having seen the work of their students - my knowledge is not perfect, so do your own research as well):

Leeds (for concept art)
University of Hertfordshire (for 2D or 3D Animation & VFX, Games Art and Comics and Concept Art )

Hi moid!
currently I'm an international student whose looking for an animation degree (3d/ VFX) in UK, but so far I've been looking at BU and AUB. They both have a really good animation program but BU specifically caught my eye as students study at the NCCA (National centre of computer animation), and I wanted to ask whether or not you think that BU is better (?) than AUB.

I've also looked at university of Leeds for arts and i wanted to ask whether or not its a good university?

being an international student I have little to no idea of what the universities are like there so it would really be helpful if you could help answer my questions hahah

thank you in advance, and sorry for the inconvenience
Reply 4
I don't work for either of those universities so I don't think I can answer your questions without being very biased! I would recommend looking at the showreels of graduates from both universities (find them on Youtube) and compare them. Look on Linkedin for recent gradautes and see what companies they work at and aks them if they think the course was worth the money? Also 'better' is a difficult thing to define; it would depend on the type of animation you want - I can't say one is better than another; I would say that BU are more known for VFX / photorealism, whereas AUB are more known for stylised work, but that's just my opinion!

Regarding Leeds I do know the lecturer who runs the Concept Art degree and she is very talented - what the university is like for art in general is something I don't know (I haven't visited Leeds University for over 30 years!) My memory of it was it has some lovely old buildings and a huge library, but that's not much to go on, sorry - maybe ask in the Leeds University section of this forum?
Reply 5
Original post by moid
Hello DemisedKenze
Leeds (for concept art)

hello do you know about the animation courses at Middlesex and ual .if so which one do you think is the best of the two

Thank you
Original post by DemisedKenze
I want to do an animation course for university but I have no idea where to go. I have an understanding of 2D tweening and frame-by-frame animation (I really enjoy it too) and want to have a go at 3D. My original choice was University for the Creative Arts but from reviews I have seen, that University isn't the best choice at the moment and now I'm lost.

Hi @DemisedKenze

I would definitely recommend coming to one of our open days for our Kingston School of Art!

We have our Illustration Animation course which is the UK's first combination degree of illustration and animation. The course is highly ranked on league tables and has a high post graduation employability rate with companies such as Cartoon Network, Nexus, Netflix, Nickelodeon, Blink, Moth Studio and Google.

A huge plus to the Kingston School of Art (KSA) is our massive workshops which are open access across all courses at KSA and are free to use, only needing an induction for each area. The workshops have moving image studios, post production, wood making, metal welding, print making, digital media, photography and so much more!! These are amazing to see in real life, and would be included on our campus tours at the open days. Or have a better look at the link here: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/faculties/kingston-school-of-art/about/facilities/

I hope this helped and please don't hesitate to ask any questions!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @DemisedKenze

I would definitely recommend coming to one of our open days for our Kingston School of Art!

We have our Illustration Animation course which is the UK's first combination degree of illustration and animation. The course is highly ranked on league tables and has a high post graduation employability rate with companies such as Cartoon Network, Nexus, Netflix, Nickelodeon, Blink, Moth Studio and Google.

A huge plus to the Kingston School of Art (KSA) is our massive workshops which are open access across all courses at KSA and are free to use, only needing an induction for each area. The workshops have moving image studios, post production, wood making, metal welding, print making, digital media, photography and so much more!! These are amazing to see in real life, and would be included on our campus tours at the open days. Or have a better look at the link here: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/faculties/kingston-school-of-art/about/facilities/

I hope this helped and please don't hesitate to ask any questions!

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)

MMU and ARU both offer illustration animation degrees along with many others. What do you mean by “this is the UKs first”?
Original post by PQ
MMU and ARU both offer illustration animation degrees along with many others. What do you mean by “this is the UKs first”?

Hi,

This link is to the information about our Illustration Animation course and will answer this question for you: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/illustration-animation/

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi,

This link is to the information about our Illustration Animation course and will answer this question for you: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/illustration-animation/

-Yasmin (Kingston Rep)

I can’t see anything on that page to back up the statement that this was the first combined ill and animation course in the UK

Quick Reply

Latest