The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welcometoib
i give up. how many times have i met someone like you on this forum, once again, talking crap? i know one warwick student doing a non fo internship or ft role at an ib firm, thats it. age and uni? if you say youre sixth form then piss off/kill yourself, ive wasted time with tens like you on this forum, fail.

You personally know 1 student not in front office, and I imagine you know what careers and roles the other 12,839 students have applied for as well?
Brilliant logic

Oh your name is "WelcometoIB." I take back what I said, clearly you must have superior knowledge of Investment Banking, as you sit there in your derelict closet embracing with open arms your loneliness and resentment with the Oxbridge/LSE/UCL admissions departments for rejecting the failure that you are.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrBowcat
You personally know 1 student not in front office, and I imagine you know what careers and roles the other 12,839 students have applied for as well?
Brilliant logic

Oh your name is "WelcometoIB." I take back what I said, clearly you must have superior knowledge of Investment Banking, as you sit there in your derelict closet embracing with open arms your loneliness and resentment with the Oxbridge/LSE/UCL admissions departments for rejecting the failure that you are.

aha! so you are a stupid sixth form student! sound like a 10 year old, high and mighty about oxbridge/lse? lol who cares about which of those unis you go to, anti social reject. i rejected ucl for warwick, easy decision. if you dont know anything, keep it shut.
aha! so you are a stupid sixth form student! sound like a 10 year old, high and mighty about oxbridge/lse? lol who cares about which of those unis you go to, anti social reject. i rejected ucl for warwick, easy decision. if you dont know anything, keep it shut.

I sound like a 10 year old? Says the person with no cognisance of basic grammar and punctuation. The irony in your last sentence is pure comedy gold.
I sound like a 10 year old? Says the person with no cognisance of basic grammar and punctuation. The irony in your last sentence is pure comedy gold.

lets take the word of a 16 year old who isnt even at university yet. everyone on here should take your advice over people going through the process, correct. why do we waste time even, good luck, i find your idea of comedy gold sad
lets take the word of a 16 year old who isnt even at university yet. everyone on here should take your advice over people going through the process, correct. why do we waste time even, good luck, i find your idea of comedy gold sad

Haha you're such a sad little boy aren't you, who would rather aimlessly and incompetently argue with anyone who says something that is truthful and that you dislike, than actually provide any helpful advice. I am the same age as you, so you're wrong there as well.

Please don't quote me again, if you do I won't reply; I don't have the time for dimwitted degenerates such as yourself. Goodbye.
Haha you're such a sad little boy aren't you, who would rather aimlessly and incompetently argue with anyone who says something that is truthful and that you dislike, than actually provide any helpful advice. I am the same age as you, so you're wrong there as well.

Please don't quote me again, if you do I won't reply; I don't have the time for dimwitted degenerates such as yourself. Goodbye.

what division of ib are you interested in and why?
calls me a sad little boy then says youre the same age as me... idiot :biggrin:
your "friends and family" must be working somewhere special if they all have said whatever youre saying, but dw, university name is the most important thing, being a recluse doesnt matter! good luck!
Well that was a cringeworthy argument if ever I've seen one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Below average grades (for the most part), semi-target however. Chances will depend on the rest of your profile/competencies/skills/outside experience. Your profile may just about get you into some interviews. From them on out, it's up to you to convert!

I have a feeling you're understating the competitiveness.

I'm currently reading Physics at Oxford with 4A*s at A-level, a significant quantity of work experience for US top 100 companies and a host of committee positions for fairly prestigious student societies and failed to land a single interview at a BB firm... though interviewed at every 'elite boutique' I applied to. Having said that, an insider has mentioned that some of the BBs have adopted an 'anti-elitism' policy and are inviting fewer Oxbridge candidates to interview.
Looking to work in IB, have offers for Nat Sci (maths, econ) at durham, Nat Sci (maths & stats, phy) at UCL or Biochemistry at Imperial. Whats my best choice for front office positions would you say?
Original post by natsciballer
Looking to work in IB, have offers for Nat Sci (maths, econ) at durham, Nat Sci (maths & stats, phy) at UCL or Biochemistry at Imperial. Whats my best choice for front office positions would you say?

They're all decent, choose which one you prefer and where you'll be the most successful.

Some will argue UCL and Imperial have the edge but honestly you'll be fine at any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natninja

I'm currently reading Physics at Oxford with 4A*s at A-level, a significant quantity of work experience for US top 100 companies and a host of committee positions for fairly prestigious student societies and failed to land a single interview at a BB firm... though interviewed at every 'elite boutique' I applied to. Having said that, an insider has mentioned that some of the BBs have adopted an 'anti-elitism' policy and are inviting fewer Oxbridge candidates to interview.

are you three or four year? another year of apps next year?
Original post by Princepieman
They're all decent, choose which one you prefer and where you'll be the most successful.

Some will argue UCL and Imperial have the edge but honestly you'll be fine at any of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good, great here some positive information. I think i'll chose Durham, it seems to be the best course :smile:
are you three or four year? another year of apps next year?

four year, sadly little chance of a grad job in IB without an internship... though I will apply for intern roles again next cycle (currently in 3rd year...)

However, consultancy is very possible as I recently got an offer from a small tech firm as an independent strategy consultant for them (pending approval of senior management).
Original post by natsciballer
Sounds good, great here some positive information. I think i'll chose Durham, it seems to be the best course :smile:

i completely concur with what he said, choose durham, bust out lots of strong extra currics and be a nice sociable and confident person when it comes to ints :smile:
four year, sadly little chance of a grad job in IB without an internship... though I will apply for intern roles again next cycle (currently in 3rd year...)

However, consultancy is very possible as I recently got an offer from a small tech firm as an independent strategy consultant for them (pending approval of senior management).

im sorry bro, im first year but can understand the **** youre going through, i dont know what more they want from your app. consultings more fun as a career anyway, i hope you enjoy it and do well :smile: meant to say internship not career haha

You should have walked into a BB. How many applications did you make? Don't be mistaken into thinking that the people with offers from BBs have stronger credentials than the ones you have listed - I would say that most interns will have weaker paper credentials than yours (significantly so in some cases) There must be something about the way that you're filling out applications which is not getting you past the first sift.

I secured multiple offers and in the process met plenty of applicants from Oxbridge so I wouldn't see that as the reason for the lack of your success.
Original post by Cutmeloose
You should have walked into a BB. How many applications did you make? Don't be mistaken into thinking that the people with offers from BBs have stronger credentials than the ones you have listed - I would say that most interns will have weaker paper credentials than yours (significantly so in some cases) There must be something about the way that you're filling out applications which is not getting you past the first sift.

I secured multiple offers and in the process met plenty of applicants from Oxbridge so I wouldn't see that as the reason for the lack of your success.

Nah, I know exactly what I did wrong with the BBs - I started my apps for them before I really understood what they looked for so my CV was a page too long... and I didn't have enough 'buzzwords' in the CV.
I'm still in sixth form but am strongly considering IB as a career path. At a GCSE I achieved 7A*s 3As and an A at AS level business studies and currently study Maths, Econ, Chem and Physics predicted for 4As this year, and may drop Chemistry next year and pick up an AS in further maths along side my others. I'm currently thinking of a straight Econ degree (Bsc) with the target being an E&M degree at Oxford, but recently have been considering engineering potentially. I know there aren't really specifics but want some opinions on whether Econ is really the best way to go in today's technology based society. I've also secured a JP Morgan Work Experience this Easter and am attending the one day InvestIN young IB program in summer. What else would be beneficial to do around this time during sixth form? Thanks
Original post by iBall
I'm still in sixth form but am strongly considering IB as a career path. At a GCSE I achieved 7A*s 3As and an A at AS level business studies and currently study Maths, Econ, Chem and Physics predicted for 4As this year, and may drop Chemistry next year and pick up an AS in further maths along side my others. I'm currently thinking of a straight Econ degree (Bsc) with the target being an E&M degree at Oxford, but recently have been considering engineering potentially. I know there aren't really specifics but want some opinions on whether Econ is really the best way to go in today's technology based society. I've also secured a JP Morgan Work Experience this Easter and am attending the one day InvestIN young IB program in summer. What else would be beneficial to do around this time during sixth form? Thanks

If you prefer engineering do it! It's a great backup option in case IB doesn't work out - engineers are in demand in both technical and nontechnical roles!

Word of warning E&M is NOT straight econ and in fact is quite a bit more essay based than other Econ courses (I went to an Oxford taster day). I'd say Cambridge has the best straight econ degree alongside LSE.

Also, Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all. You can make it in from any top school. Including: Warwick, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham Edinburgh and Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
If you prefer engineering do it! It's a great backup option in case IB doesn't work out - engineers are in demand in both technical and nontechnical roles!

Word of warning E&M is NOT straight econ and in fact is quite a bit more essay based than other Econ courses (I went to an Oxford taster day). I'd say Cambridge has the best straight econ degree alongside LSE.

Also, Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all. You can make it in from any top school. Including: Warwick, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham Edinburgh and Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. Right now I can't say I prefer engineering because I've never really been exposed to it like I have the finance industry, but I do love innovation and follow the Tech and Finance industry primarily therefore Econ and engineering both appeal to me but I'm more of an Econ lean right now, I've also looked at the E&M course and that is the most attractive to me but outside of that I'd like a regular Economics Bsc from another good university. I suppose I'm going to have to ask when I get down for a work experience what employers are looking for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending