The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Wait bit longer. You never know. Many people haven't heard yet.
Reply 781
People, I'm really confused here.

What is so special about Slade? Please, PLEASE enlighten me.

I have interviews in CSM, GOLDSMITHS AND SLADE. So I'm not trying to cheer for any club here, like you guys, I wanna make sure i make the best decision, but this slade thing is starting to feel suspicious to me.

I have ALWAYS heard of schools like the UAL, Goldsmiths, Royal College but Slade, never heard of it until recently and nobody outside the UK EVER HEARD OF THIS SCHOOL (only if you mention ucl) I CAN PROMISSE YOU THAT.

CSM and Goldsmiths have super well know artists that been there, they are very active in social media (CSM student work is always featured in cool mags etc.) they have an active facebook page....

And Slade...

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

1-No Facebook page
2 -no social media effort whatsoever to promote their students
3-never seen a cool art mag featuring something about them
4- NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE RELEVANT THAT HAS BEEN THERE AND IS A WELL KNOWN NAME

Even in wikipedia the list of artists that have been there are people from the ****ing 18th century or something, how contemporary!

So please, again, I kindly beg you to enlighten me WHY YOU THINK BEING IN THIS SCHOOL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAT CSM AND GS?

The only reason I can think of is the "If it is hard to get in then I HAVE TO GET IN" and I think the only reason they take few students is NOT because they are so much more demanding than CSM or Goldsmiths but maybe because the school IS ****ING SMALL unlike Goldsmiths and CSM that can take many many more students.

Since all the 3 schools focus on contemporary art and on independent studio work , please someone tell me if Slade has the BEST tutors, the BEST seminars, the BEST facilities and access to materials and teach you the best technical skills and are the most demanding. Are they? Or is it just the location and building that is cute and this difficulty to get in that is appealing?

Because if all of the above are not true I'LL PICK CSM OR GOLDSMITHS ANYTIME BECAUSE PEOPLE ACTUALLY KNOW THIS PLACES AND I CAN ACTUALLY NAME ARTISTS THAT BEEN THERE.
Reply 782
I'm from abroad so I don't have the insights that people from the UK have, but goldsmiths and CSM (or other UAL schools) seem SO MUCH EDGY than Slade. Is this a misconception of me?
Reply 783
Even the selection process of SLADE annoyed me... send the portfolio in A POWERPOINT presentation in a DVD, REALLY? IS THIS THE 90'S OR SOMETHING? At least UAL and Goldsmiths ask you web links or uploads, they seem to live in the 2st century!
Reply 784
"1-No Facebook page
3-never seen a cool art mag featuring something about them"

That's enough reason to apply.
Original post by Vik_K
People, I'm really confused here.

What is so special about Slade? Please, PLEASE enlighten me.

I have interviews in CSM, GOLDSMITHS AND SLADE. So I'm not trying to cheer for any club here, like you guys, I wanna make sure i make the best decision, but this slade thing is starting to feel suspicious to me.

I have ALWAYS heard of schools like the UAL, Goldsmiths, Royal College but Slade, never heard of it until recently and nobody outside the UK EVER HEARD OF THIS SCHOOL (only if you mention ucl) I CAN PROMISSE YOU THAT.

CSM and Goldsmiths have super well know artists that been there, they are very active in social media (CSM student work is always featured in cool mags etc.) they have an active facebook page....

And Slade...

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

1-No Facebook page
3-never seen a cool art mag featuring something about them
4- NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE RELEVANT THAT HAS BEEN THERE AND IS A WELL KNOWN NAME

Even in wikipedia the list of artists that have been there are people from the ****ing 18th century or something, how contemporary!

So please, again, I kindly beg you to enlighten me WHY YOU THINK BEING IN THIS SCHOOL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAT CSM AND GS?

The only reason I can think of is the "If it is hard to get in then I HAVE TO GET IN" and I think the only reason they take few students is NOT because they are so much more demanding than CSM or Goldsmiths but maybe because the school IS ****ING SMALL unlike Goldsmiths and CSM that can take many many more students.

Since all the 3 schools focus on contemporary art and on independent studio work , please someone tell me if Slade has the BEST tutors, the BEST seminars, the BEST facilities and access to materials and teach you the best technical skills and are the most demanding. Are they? Or is it just the location and building that is cute and this difficulty to get in that is appealing?

Because if all of the above are not true I'LL PICK CSM OR GOLDSMITHS ANYTIME BECAUSE PEOPLE ACTUALLY KNOW THIS PLACES AND I CAN ACTUALLY NAME ARTISTS THAT BEEN THERE.

I have all three interviews too - with Slade as my first choice - and while I understand all of your points, Slade earned their name a long time ago. Goldsmiths and CSM have been really popular within the last 50 years. Say for example you wanted to study Physics; Loughborough is a great university, it ranks well, it has good resources and a good name etc etc, but even if they don't advertise as much or whatever, you would still want to get into Cambridge. It's a traditional thing. They don't have to sell themselves in every magazine and online and everything, because the name is enough to make you trust you'll get a good education there. Just because Damien Hirst went to Goldsmiths it doesn't mean it's the best place in the world and you should probably want to go there for something other than that. They have a way they do things, and a full portfolio review before an interview is one of them, and they've adapted it to suit THEIR needs (the DVD etc), not to pander to looking modern which is what you seem to want them to do. Look at the work being produced at each school, not by people you happen to have heard of, but their recent shows, graduates portfolios/websites etc, and decide based on the WORK BEING MADE whether or not it's "edgy" or "contemporary", and where the best place for you is. Not having a facebook page doesnt mean they aren't making interesting and forward-thinking work, and as eei said, heavy advertising would almost be a deterrent to me. My desire to go there was based on what I saw while looking around, because I went to open days/open studios at all three. The work I saw at the Slade interested me most, the space felt the best, it felt like somewhere I personally could develop myself and flourish. Not to do with "oh not many people get in so I MUST go there! wowow!". But that's just me, you make your own decisions, and clearly you have a strong opinion of the Slade already.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 787
Yeah, usually the reputation of Slade speaks for itself, which is probably why they don't need a facebook page to continuously promote the school. You should really base your opinion on visiting the school, seeing the studio space, speaking to students, looking at current work etc. Asking here simply which school is best is a pretty redundant exercise.

What a strange league table. Glasgow university which doesn't teach art or design comes in at 10th while GSA comes in at 30th. Weird.
Reply 788
The bottom line is that the students are happy at Slade and Goldsmiths.
Also at Slade you have access to all what UCL offers - libraries, lectures. They encourage you to nurture academic interests beyond art. You have all the facilities, where for example Chelsea has none (besides the woodwork).
Reply 789
You should also look outside London. Falmouth, Glasgow, Sheffield, Newcastle and so on. Only the art scene in London is less insular.
Reply 790
Original post by eei
The bottom line is that the students are happy at Slade and Goldsmiths.
Also at Slade you have access to all what UCL offers - libraries, lectures. They encourage you to nurture academic interests beyond art. You have all the facilities, where for example Chelsea has none (besides the woodwork).

Ok, some progress here. FINALLY SOMEONE IS BEING CLEAR. So the pros are access to all ucl lectures (that's great) and facilities. Big range of workshops, thats specific too.
It's ironic that someone who thinks that having a competent media management is irrelevant (which all well organized institutions have, despite their notoriety) drops a league table from the most MAINSTREAM paper which, by the way, is a mere indicator and not a reason to go to an art school, leave that to the nerds that masturbate to their IVY league unis (which notoriety is miles ahead of Slade, not saying that Slade is bad, just saying that it is not an household name like other art institutions around the world, maybe just for you guys in the UK, but let me be clear if I wasn´t, this is not important for me, as long as the teaching is progressive, the lectures and workshops are good, the work is out there making an impact on society, these are reasons to join, in my opinion.
Reply 791
Yeah, usually the reputation of Slade speaks for itself, which is probably why they don't need a facebook page to continuously promote the school. You should really base your opinion on visiting the school, seeing the studio space, speaking to students, looking at current work etc. Asking here simply which school is best is a pretty redundant exercise.

Well, then please show me some student from this university. There are relevant artists from the University of Warsaw, The Universität der Künste Berlin, from University I don't f*cking know from all around the world, from so many unis in the UK, SO, if this one IS SO GOOD, there must be at least one contemporary artist that is doing something relevant that went there. Please tell me were these people are.
Reply 792
I don't feel qualified to talk about recent graduate work from Slade as i never go to degree shows in London. Maybe you could search recent graduate work and have a look for yourself? People like Martin Creed, Rachel Whiteread, Douglas Gordon, Mona Hatoum, Antony Gormley etc all had their time at Slade... whether they do anything relevant in contemporary art is of course a matter of opinion.
Reply 793
Original post by ieestok
I have all three interviews too - with Slade as my first choice - and while I understand all of your points, Slade earned their name a long time ago. Goldsmiths and CSM have been really popular within the last 50 years. Say for example you wanted to study Physics; Loughborough is a great university, it ranks well, it has good resources and a good name etc etc, but even if they don't advertise as much or whatever, you would still want to get into Cambridge. It's a traditional thing. They don't have to sell themselves in every magazine and online and everything, because the name is enough to make you trust you'll get a good education there. Just because Damien Hirst went to Goldsmiths it doesn't mean it's the best place in the world and you should probably want to go there for something other than that. They have a way they do things, and a full portfolio review before an interview is one of them, and they've adapted it to suit THEIR needs (the DVD etc), not to pander to looking modern which is what you seem to want them to do. Look at the work being produced at each school, not by people you happen to have heard of, but their recent shows, graduates portfolios/websites etc, and decide based on the WORK BEING MADE whether or not it's "edgy" or "contemporary", and where the best place for you is. Not having a facebook page doesnt mean they aren't making interesting and forward-thinking work, and as eei said, heavy advertising would almost be a deterrent to me. My desire to go there was based on what I saw while looking around, because I went to open days/open studios at all three. The work I saw at the Slade interested me most, the space felt the best, it felt like somewhere I personally could develop myself and flourish. Not to do with "oh not many people get in so I MUST go there! wowow!". But that's just me, you make your own decisions, and clearly you have a strong opinion of the Slade already.

"It's a traditional thing. They don't have to sell themselves in every magazine and online and everything, because the name is enough to make you trust you'll get a good education there."
Well maybe i´ll shake your deepest illusions but Slade is not very well known outside the UK, at least not as the best art school. I've asked artist friends around the world and they never heard of it. I've been in the UK last week and spoke with students from CSM, Chelsea, Goldsmiths and although some told me it has a good rep, I was surprised to see that some didn't think it was such a big deal but one thing is unanimous: they say that the work produced there is not out there , one of them even said that slade creates art critics with mold.

"Look at the work being produced at each school, not by people you happen to have heard of, but their recent shows, graduates portfolios/websites etc, and decide based on the WORK BEING MADE"
Well your arguments are exactly my question: Where is this work? The websites i've found from artists that went there show not so impressive Cv's and folios that any amateur artist has. Which relevant movements emerged from this school? what is being done there? I can bring to my mind artists from schools around the world, and UK, that are being showcased in museums, or even the more underground ones. But from Slade... It's not that I have a bad opinion is just that I can't find the information, so, if you are so much informed, tell me and i'll rest my case.

"and they've adapted it to suit THEIR needs (the DVD etc), not to pander to looking modern which is what you seem to want them to do"
Oh, so powerpoint and DVD is their needs, gosh, maybe their needs could be sending them a FAX or something, maybe their needs could evolve a bit and not stay in stone age. But I bet they´re glad that people like you are ready to justify their lack of investment in proper web logistics.
Reply 794
Original post by lppm
I don't feel qualified to talk about recent graduate work from Slade as i never go to degree shows in London. Maybe you could search recent graduate work and have a look for yourself? People like Martin Creed, Rachel Whiteread, Douglas Gordon, Mona Hatoum, Antony Gormley etc all had their time at Slade... whether they do anything relevant in contemporary art is of course a matter of opinion.

Thanks. That's helpful.

Cheers,
Original post by Vik_K
"It's a traditional thing. They don't have to sell themselves in every magazine and online and everything, because the name is enough to make you trust you'll get a good education there."
Well maybe i´ll shake your deepest illusions but Slade is not very well known outside the UK, at least not as the best art school. I've asked artist friends around the world and they never heard of it. I've been in the UK last week and spoke with students from CSM, Chelsea, Goldsmiths and although some told me it has a good rep, I was surprised to see that some didn't think it was such a big deal but one thing is unanimous: they say that the work produced there is not out there , one of them even said that slade creates art critics with mold.

"Look at the work being produced at each school, not by people you happen to have heard of, but their recent shows, graduates portfolios/websites etc, and decide based on the WORK BEING MADE"
Well your arguments are exactly my question: Where is this work? The websites i've found from artists that went there show not so impressive Cv's and folios that any amateur artist has. Which relevant movements emerged from this school? what is being done there? I can bring to my mind artists from schools around the world, and UK, that are being showcased in museums, or even the more underground ones. But from Slade... It's not that I have a bad opinion is just that I can't find the information, so, if you are so much informed, tell me and i'll rest my case.

"and they've adapted it to suit THEIR needs (the DVD etc), not to pander to looking modern which is what you seem to want them to do"
Oh, so powerpoint and DVD is their needs, gosh, maybe their needs could be sending them a FAX or something, maybe their needs could evolve a bit and not stay in stone age. But I bet they´re glad that people like you are ready to justify their lack of investment in proper web logistics.

I don't get it - why are you applying if you have such a problem with them? And why are you attacking me for simply trying to explain and answer your questions? You asked and I did my best to respond, maybe if I had said they produce "art critics with mold" you would have been happier?

lppm has given you names, if you can't find information on an artist like Whiteread or Creed or Gormley in your professed extensive research I'm not sure what you were doing.

All the people I've heard trash-talk the Slade are students I know who applied and were rejected. Everybody else I've spoken to, especially students there, are very very positive, which is more than can be said for Chelsea at the moment as you have drawn that comparison.

Please, it is not necessary to attack and belittle me or to put words into my mouth when I am merely explaining my point of view and my understanding of the situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 796
Original post by ieestok
I don't get it - why are you applying if you have such a problem with them? And why are you attacking me for simply trying to explain and answer your questions? You asked and I did my best to respond, maybe if I had said they produce "art critics with mold" you would have been happier?

lppm has given you names, if you can't find information on an artist like Whiteread or Creed or Gormley in your professed extensive research I'm not sure what you were doing.

All the people I've heard trash-talk the Slade are students I know who applied and were rejected. Everybody else I've spoken to, especially students there, are very very positive, which is more than can be said for Chelsea at the moment as you have drawn that comparison.

Please, it is not necessary to attack and belittle me or to put words into my mouth when I am merely explaining my point of view and my understanding of the situation.

Actually, the attacking came straight out from you that instead of answering my question in a straight forward way - or just ignoring it - decided to take this really personally and went on this institution-ass-licking crusade, as if me raising questions and simply questioning some methods is vacuous (just because i'm from abroad, therefore, not so familiar with the hierarchies you hold so dear). And worst, you completely failed to understand my premisses and jumped to conclude that i am against Slade. Less drama, more rationality.
Original post by Vik_K
Actually, the attacking came straight out from you that instead of answering my question in a straight forward way - or just ignoring it - decided to take this really personally and went on this institution-ass-licking crusade, as if me raising questions and simply questioning some methods is vacuous (just because i'm from abroad, therefore, not so familiar with the hierarchies you hold so dear). And worst, you completely failed to understand my premisses and jumped to conclude that i am against Slade. Less drama, more rationality.

This is ridiculous. Literally everything I've said has been as response to the tone of your message; and you're still being snide and belittling. Carry on, friend, I'm stepping out. I would speak the same way about any institution I know anything about. I didn't take anything personally, I was simply presenting you with as I said, my understanding of it, because as you've said, you are not from the UK. I suggest in future when you ask for people's opinions you do not then step on them for providing them and treating them like they have about 7 braincells. Good luck in the interview, and I suggest you don't speak to the slade (or any other uni) with the same tone you have spoken either about them with or to me with, because I don't think they will take it too kindly.
Reply 798
But lets be democratic here, I also have questions about the other places, but what was buzzing me was this silence surrounding slade.

For instance, I've heard a lot that GS is vacuous and CSM is **** in Fine art not to mention those karl Lagerfeld with bleached eyebrows contaminating campus.
Reply 799
Original post by ieestok
This is ridiculous. Literally everything I've said has been as response to the tone of your message; and you're still being snide and belittling. Carry on, friend, I'm stepping out. I would speak the same way about any institution I know anything about. I didn't take anything personally, I was simply presenting you with as I said, my understanding of it, because as you've said, you are not from the UK. I suggest in future when you ask for people's opinions you do not then step on them for providing them and treating them like they have about 7 braincells. Good luck in the interview, and I suggest you don't speak to the slade (or any other uni) with the same tone you have spoken either about them with or to me with, because I don't think they will take it too kindly.

Well, if not intentionally I ended up pissing you off, see the bright side of it, show them this thread and if the fine art thing doesn't work out for you maybe they'll find you a place at the PR and Marketing department !

Quick Reply

Latest