The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RroseSelavy
I thought one of them was David Burrows? Head of media? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

yes david burrows was one of them, who interviewed you? how did you find it?
just found this on the UCL website :

The UCAS advisory deadline by which universities should try to reach decisions on all "on-time" applications (i.e. submitted to UCAS by 15 January 2013) is

31 March 2013
. All such applicants can expect to receive a decision from us by that date. We may be able to reach a decision earlier on some applications, but this cannot be guaranteed.

so basically we'll hear back like in previous years around the 28th ish. That said in the year of 2011 they heard back around the 23rd so basically i think its from 20th till the end of March. So we'll hear potentially not tomorrow but the monday after! Also seeming as there's now 4 of us on this thread with interviews at least one of us (according to the odds) will get in!

kool

ALSO wtf I think now it was graham gussin who interviewed me, not stahl ! honestly im so confused who they all were except for burrows !
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bertiewallace123
Generally I get the impression from this that this was a good interview for you! If they had the name of one of your pieces written down then that must be a sure sign that they were interested in your work.

If someone didn't laugh at your jokes it doesn't make you a bad artist or uninteresting person just means that someone didnt get your humour!

Bizarre about someone refusing to shake your hand, I think I only shook one persons hand (stahl's) in and out but I honestly can't remember much except the bad bits (again it was all a blur), perhaps thats to test you or that they have a belief about handshaking that is unconventional, who knows but tbh I wouldnt attach much significance to the handshaking bit.

Did you have like I did (and I think Omniscella and Frankenegine also did too) Stahl, Melanie Counesll (I think) and David Burrows (cant forget a guy like that)? I've no idea who the other interviewers were but did you have any of these three?

Nope, I wanted David Burrows (I've been told my work would fit very nicely into their media pathway), I can't remember who I had tbh, it was nobody I recognised. I could go look up and check.. I had a lady who was a part time painting tutor I think, and then the guy who wouldn't shake my hand (he said it was because he had a cold... I mean I guess that's considerate, felt a little awkward though) I think was more superior than the other two, again I don't remember, and then another younger man whom I don't remember. I shook the other two's hand arriving and leaving.

Hopefully they liked my work. We talked about most of the stuff in my portfolio, I got progressively more jittery and nervous though, which is really rare for me so I have absolutely no idea how I behaved haha.

I had CSM interview Friday too, and I've got goldsmiths next Thursday. Looking forward to the process being over so I can go back to making work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ieestok
I definitely messed up a couple questions but seeing that other people did too makes me feel a bit better about that.

hahahsaaa human relativism at its finest . (its human nature dw)

Nope, I wanted David Burrows (I've been told my work would fit very nicely into their media pathway), I can't remember who I had tbh, it was nobody I recognised. I could go look up and check.. I had a lady who was a part time painting tutor I think, and then the guy who wouldn't shake my hand (he said it was because he had a cold... I mean I guess that's considerate, felt a little awkward though) I think was more superior than the other two, again I don't remember, and then another younger man whom I don't remember. I shook the other two's hand arriving and leaving.

Hopefully they liked my work. We talked about most of the stuff in my portfolio, I got progressively more jittery and nervous though, which is really rare for me so I have absolutely no idea how I behaved haha.

I had CSM interview Friday too, and I've got goldsmiths next Thursday. Looking forward to the process being over so I can go back to making work.

Perhaps they varied the tutors every day, like they'd have one set on Tuesday, another set on a wednesday and so on. You obviously had a different set to us three tho who knows, perhaps it was like 1 head of something per group. seriuously i just dunno know more.

I was the same, I got less coherent as the interview progressed and the spark faded by the end I felt.

Best of luck with the other interviews, at least u have something to take your mind off things, I havent got anything now so I just sit and worry/procastinate till the slade decision (god know why). The feeling is decidedly negative now.

Perhaps they varied the tutors every day, like they'd have one set on Tuesday, another set on a wednesday and so on. You obviously had a different set to us three tho who knows, perhaps it was like 1 head of something per group. seriuously i just dunno know more.

I was the same, I got less coherent as the interview progressed and the spark faded by the end I felt.

Best of luck with the other interviews, at least u have something to take your mind off things, I havent got anything now so I just sit and worry/procastinate till the slade decision (god know why). The feeling is decidedly negative now.

Hmmm how come the feeling is negative? I feel as though the more I dwell on certain things the better/worse I feel. What other interviews have you had?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ieestok
Hmmm how come the feeling is negative? I feel as though the more I dwell on certain things the better/worse I feel. What other interviews have you had?

That was and is my only fine art interview, rejected from oxford and edinburgh dont do interviews. So thats my only one, possibly for forever.

I am dwelling on it and im the worser for it. Such a terrible habit!

How do you cope?
That was and is my only fine art interview, rejected from oxford and edinburgh dont do interviews. So thats my only one, possibly for forever.

How do you cope?

Any time I think about something bad from the interview I try to counter it with a thing I think I did well, and not commit myself to "this went well"/"this went badly". And doing really gentle relaxing kind of things all the time just to occupy myself. Netflix, knitting, working out, playing games. What will be will be, just gotta get through the next few weeks :smile: it's out of our hands now - I put my best work in my portfolio, and I did the best I could in that moment, so now it depends on how the staff feel and the quality of other applicants, which I can't control. I have backup plans for every possible outcome too, which makes it feel a bit better.
yes david burrows was one of them, who interviewed you? how did you find it?

There were two men and a woman for my interview. I think one of them was Burrows, and the woman was someone from the sculpture department. As for the other guy, I'm not so sure. He didn't talk too much. Though I think he's from the painting department.

I explained my works for about 15 minutes, but I only chose the works that I thought were the strongest. Didn't even bother to mention the other works. And now I'm regretting like hell. Then the woman, not sure who she is, and the guy who seemed like Burrows commented on my wokrs and asked some questions while I was explaining. After that I was asked the same questions like all of you. Why Slade, Why BA/BFA. The interview took about 25 to 30 minutes. Overall, I felt my interview was 5/10 to 6/10. But right after I left the Slade building, I received a track notification email from ucas. And it was a rejection from CSM, so now I feel I have no chance at all.

Well at least its done.
Original post by RroseSelavy
There were two men and a woman for my interview. I think one of them was Burrows, and the woman was someone from the sculpture department. As for the other guy, I'm not so sure. He didn't talk too much. Though I think he's from the painting department.

I explained my works for about 15 minutes, but I only chose the works that I thought were the strongest. Didn't even bother to mention the other works. And now I'm regretting like hell. Then the woman, not sure who she is, and the guy who seemed like Burrows commented on my works and asked some questions while I was explaining. After that I was asked the same questions like all of you. Why Slade, Why BA/BFA. The interview took about 25 to 30 minutes. Overall, I felt my interview was 5/10 to 6/10. But right after I left the Slade building, I received a track notification email from ucas. And it was a rejection from CSM, so now I feel I have no chance at all.

Well at least its done.

The deed is certainly done.

Sorry to hear about your rejection tho do not take that as a sign that you'll be rejected from the Slade, I do recall some threads back that someone was rejected from goldsmiths before getting into the Slade so its entirely dependent on the art school itself, tutors etc!

I got an offer from edinburgh literally 2 mins after my interview which was slightly surreal and made me think in some loopy way that that was a sign from (non-existent) gods that I hadn;t made the slade and so was being offered edinburgh instead. Funny how the mind works, (is it fate?). So bizarre how that happened literally within moments of my interview.

Whatever the result maybe we will all be fine in the future.(probably)
The deed is certainly done.

Sorry to hear about your rejection tho do not take that as a sign that you'll be rejected from the Slade, I do recall some threads back that someone was rejected from goldsmiths before getting into the Slade so its entirely dependent on the art school itself, tutors etc!

I got an offer from edinburgh literally 2 mins after my interview which was slightly surreal and made me think in some loopy way that that was a sign from (non-existent) gods that I hadn;t made the slade and so was being offered edinburgh instead. Funny how the mind works, (is it fate?). So bizarre how that happened literally within moments of my interview.

Whatever the result maybe we will all be fine in the future.(probably)

Congrats on your offer! Yeah, I hope we'll be alright. Don't think I can wait for another two to three weeks.
Reply 830

How do you cope?

Oh, I feel for you. I felt like that when everyone around had at least one offer and I had nothing. At least now I have place at Camberwell (and I added that choice last minute), so everything is more bearable. Now need to wait for the answer from CSM and we were told it won't happen before April.
Original post by eei
Oh, I feel for you. I felt like that when everyone around had at least one offer and I had nothing. At least now I have place at Camberwell (and I added that choice last minute), so everything is more bearable. Now need to wait for the answer from CSM and we were told it won't happen before April.

congrats on camberwell! very good art school and in demand! I think art schools that aren't part of an academic uni, like CSM don't have to tell you till later on. UCL/Edinburgh have to in order to be compatable with other courses/accomodation
Reply 832
Does Slade have a studio for video / photography?
Original post by ksader
Does Slade have a studio for video / photography?

Yes, they have photography studios and spaces with lighting etc and a darkroom, as well as cameras you can book out, as far as I know
Anyone heard from goldsmiths yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the people who were interviewed can I ask whether you had either a pink scribble or nothing on your portfolio name thing when you got it back?

I had a pink scribble and I am aware that ieestock didnt have one
Anyone know how many places are given and how many people are interviewed for goldsmiths please ?
Ok so just phoned the Slade about when we'll hear back and, surprise, surprise, they can't tell us anything except that we will hear back from them before the 31st of March. Which if we look at past years and this years stuff means (I think and have estimated in previous posts) that we'll hear back around the 23rd of March. I am just praying that rejections are sent out first! Its awful being kept on tenterhooks when everyone else has heard back, just awful.

On another I also enquired about student numbers and they take APPROXIMATELY 40 students per year, 4.0. no more, no less.... That means we all have odds of exactly 0.333 recurring.

Also another similar question to the 'whether you had a pink scribble' point, when did everyone receive their interview invite? I received mine on the 26th of Feb (which i think was, worryingly the last time they sent them out) I'd be interested to see whether people from the earlier invites got in AND/OR had pink scribbles over their name.
There were also blue and green highlighter marks. The tutor I know who works there said she would ask and see if she could find out what it means
this is my first post on this thread, had an interview with the slade last thursday. curious about these highlighter marks a few people have brought up, where exactly were these marks? i had a bit of paper taped to mine with my name and ucas id on it, is this where you found the highlighter marks? I saw about 4/5 portfolios of people who had just had interviews while i was there and didn't see any highlighter marks. also i received my invite on the 20th of feb, don't know if that makes any difference. I personally wouldn't look too much into it.

Quick Reply

Latest