The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Leeds or Bristol????

I am trying to choose between bristol uni or leeds uni for history and I have offers from both (A*AA from bristol and AAA from leeds). I like them both and I don't know which one to pick! i feel Bristol has a better reputation, i liked the lecturers there, the city was nice and I could see myself there. But I'm worried about the people there because I have heard they are a bit snobby and 'private schooly' and i don't go to a private school.. Loads of my friends go to private schools but i'm worried I won't fit in. And i love leeds too like the campus is so lovely and there is such a nice feel to it and I love the accommodation complex with charles morris and lydon and I hear everyone is down to earth there, but I feel I'm missing an opportunity by going to leeds and not bristol and many of my friends say they could see me at bristol and so I don't know if i'd fit in a leeds. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP i'm pretty much having a mental breakdown over it all cheers.

Scroll to see replies

I can see why you're torn both awesome unis.
Maybe do a list of positives and negatives of each and then decide? :biggrin:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I've already done that but thanks😭
Well I'm currently in my second year at Bristol and I absolutely love the Uni! :smile: I can't really speak for you though as everyone suits different places. The one thing I can contribute is that I went to state schools, and to be honest, I don't know anyone else here who has (some have been to grammer schools instead of private, but I count them as slightly different to state schools), and it does drive me a little mad sometimes! :P

PM me of you want to ask more questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColouredTights
Well I'm currently in my second year at Bristol and I absolutely love the Uni! :smile: I can't really speak for you though as everyone suits different places. The one thing I can contribute is that I went to state schools, and to be honest, I don't know anyone else here who has (some have been to grammer schools instead of private, but I count them as slightly different to state schools), and it does drive me a little mad sometimes! :P

PM me of you want to ask more questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! That's helpful cos that's one of the main things I'm worried about, I've also heard they call state school people 'muggles'?? Is that just bull**** or is there that kind of mocking/exclusion?
I haven't heard of that personally, but there are a few halls that are stereotypically "more private schooly", so maybe that does happen there. I have to say, I had- and still have- absolutely no problem making friends and finding people that I get on with.

I think at Uni a lot of barriers get broken down, and although some refuse to get off their high horse, most people don't care what kind of education you've had in the past :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It honestly is a great Uni, please don't let rumours put you off! Why do you like Bristol and Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It honestly is a great Uni, please don't let rumours put you off! Why do you like Bristol and Leeds?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I get you and I suppose you'd get those sort of people anywhere..

Well they're both nice cities and I like the buildings in Bristol (sad) and the campus of Leeds. Also if you don't mind me asking, what halls would you recommend?
Original post by chloemelissa1996
Yeah I get you and I suppose you'd get those sort of people anywhere..

Well they're both nice cities and I like the buildings in Bristol (sad) and the campus of Leeds. Also if you don't mind me asking, what halls would you recommend?

Hahaha, nah, that's not sad...I liked the buildings in Bristol too, it's nice to be studying in a pretty environment- it motivates me! :smile:

And I was at Goldney Hall in Clifton Village, about a 15 min walk to Uni, which I preferred to the bus! I'd say stay away from Wills Hall for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha, nah, that's not sad...I liked the buildings in Bristol too, it's nice to be studying in a pretty environment- it motivates me! :smile:

And I was at Goldney Hall in Clifton Village, about a 15 min walk to Uni, which I preferred to the bus! I'd say stay away from Wills Hall for sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha okays thanks, yeah I deffo will stay away from there and Churchill!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey sorry for butting in I've just firmed Bristol and really want that hall but isn't it really over subscribed? What other places did you apply for at the time? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iceangel8
Hey sorry for butting in I've just firmed Bristol and really want that hall but isn't it really over subscribed? What other places did you apply for at the time? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think next year all of the halls will be over subscribed, and only people (like yourself) who have firmed Bristol will be guaranteed accommodation. But yes, Goldney is always popular (probably because it's cheap!). I'm a sneaky bitch and also applied to the other residences in Clifton Village, said I'd only want to live in Clifton Village and set my maximum payable per week option as the Goldney Hall amount to make my application more likely to be accepted! Still, it is all luck of the draw.

Personally I wouldn't have wanted to live in Stoke Bishop, so I also would have applied for the city centre halls (not as pretty, but all my friends lived there last year so I was always visiting and I loved it- plus they have double beds, which Goldney doesn't!)

What will you be studying?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think next year all of the halls will be over subscribed, and only people (like yourself) who have firmed Bristol will be guaranteed accommodation. But yes, Goldney is always popular (probably because it's cheap!). I'm a sneaky bitch and also applied to the other residences in Clifton Village, said I'd only want to live in Clifton Village and set my maximum payable per week option as the Goldney Hall amount to make my application more likely to be accepted! Still, it is all luck of the draw.

Personally I wouldn't have wanted to live in Stoke Bishop, so I also would have applied for the city centre halls (not as pretty, but all my friends lived there last year so I was always visiting and I loved it- plus they have double beds, which Goldney doesn't!)

What will you be studying?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thanks for the quick reply!

Don't they say to avoid Unite (city centre accomodation???)

I have applied to study Geography :smile: I really want to live in Clifton but would like en suite and I don't think the other self catered hall has but I'll see that sounds like a good way of doing the preferences also! :P
Ahh thanks for the quick reply!

Don't they say to avoid Unite (city centre accomodation???)

I have applied to study Geography :smile: I really want to live in Clifton but would like en suite and I don't think the other self catered hall has but I'll see that sounds like a good way of doing the preferences also! :P

No worries :smile:

And it depends really, I'm sure some people look down on Unite accommodation. But I thought it was nice, for example, you get to be right in the centre of Bristol, which is great for going out. I think the University just "sells" its halls a bit better, because all the photos look great and then you arrive and realise that it's not quite as perfect as it seemed.

I think you'll enjoy wherever you end up to be honest, the excitement of your first year of Uni will overshadow accommodation for sure.

And Geography's cool, I know some people doing that. If you are at all interested in Science I recommend the first year unit "Big Ideas in Science". It's really interesting, and sooo easy- you don't even have exams! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries :smile:

And it depends really, I'm sure some people look down on Unite accommodation. But I thought it was nice, for example, you get to be right in the centre of Bristol, which is great for going out. I think the University just "sells" its halls a bit better, because all the photos look great and then you arrive and realise that it's not quite as perfect as it seemed.

I think you'll enjoy wherever you end up to be honest, the excitement of your first year of Uni will overshadow accommodation for sure.

And Geography's cool, I know some people doing that. If you are at all interested in Science I recommend the first year unit "Big Ideas in Science". It's really interesting, and sooo easy- you don't even have exams! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I understand and aww awesome thank you thank you thank you!

(Sorry lastly do you know anything about Richmond Terrace?)
Ah I understand and aww awesome thank you thank you thank you!

(Sorry lastly do you know anything about Richmond Terrace?)

Haha, no no seriously ask away! I'm trying to avoid my impending essay anyway! :P
I do actually, some of my friends lived there last year, all I know is that they all seem really close- probably because you weren't drowning in people everyday! I think if you're on the more shy side possibly apply there above Goldney, I know I found it hard making solid friends in Goldney because of its size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, no no seriously ask away! I'm trying to avoid my impending essay anyway! :P
I do actually, some of my friends lived there last year, all I know is that they all seem really close- probably because you weren't drowning in people everyday! I think if you're on the more shy side possibly apply there above Goldney, I know I found it hard making solid friends in Goldney because of its size.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok thanks that's given me something to think about. Think I will do that because you can only put one of those first and Goldney is a lot harder to get into. :smile:
The 'private school' thing is long gone.

Bristol has made serious and deliberate attempts to widen the background of the student intake and it is no longer the 'Surrey private school enclave' that it was 10 years ago.

Come to Bristol. Its a great cosmopolitan city, and the Uni is a great mix of people/staff from a very wide variety of backgrounds.

PS. Lots of 'private' accom in the centre of the city - far better than being stuck out in Stoke Bishop. And if you are not keen on the 'okay yahs' then avoid UoB Halls.
Original post by chloemelissa1996
I've also heard they call state school people 'muggles'?? Is that just bull**** or is there that kind of mocking/exclusion?

Its rubbish. The snotty Surrey types are a teeny-weeny minority. Whatever background you come from you wont be 'excluded'. Bristol is far less 'posh' than people think.
haha okay thank you! Also i was wondering, when i went on the open day in like june the student union looked kinda dead - is it usually like that and do people not really use it or was that just cos it was on an open day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending