The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Are you stuck deciding on accommodation at Northumbria?

Hey all,

Because this thread is over a year old and is really long, I've decided to retire it. Please post any new questions in this new thread. Cheers!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm struggling to decide on accommodation, i'm looking for somewhere that's lively, near to town and based in large flats, everything else i'm not too bothered about. I've heard Glenamara house is really lively so thinking this may be my first choice, but really not sure. Any help would be great
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
In fact I think glenamara is your best choice, great party atmosphere. Very near to school (2 mins walk over a bridge). Few of my friends that stayed there complimented it's good for social
Reply 3
Original post by c.peck1
Hi, I'm struggling to decide on accommodation, i'm looking for somewhere that's lively, near to town and based in large flats, everything else i'm not too bothered about. I've heard Glenamara house is really lively so thinking this may be my first choice, but really not sure. Any help would be great

Original post by xMartini
In fact I think glenamara is your best choice, great party atmosphere. Very near to school (2 mins walk over a bridge). Few of my friends that stayed there complimented it's good for social

Glenamara definitely sounds like your best bet! If you want ensuite, Winn Studios is probably the best, except its a little further out.
Hi, just wondering if there's any accommodation which just isn't nice and should be avoided
Reply 5
Lovaine Flats and Halls are pretty old. Claude Gibb and Clapham House are probably best avoided too. There's nothing wrong with them, rather some of the others are just better (newer, more modern etc)
Reply 6
Original post by dp247
Hey guys, I'm a second year student here at Northumbria and I'm here to take any of your accommodation/other university questions.

First up, accommodation. If you're stuck finding which accommodation you'd rather be in, I've made a map to help you decide. It includes proximity/walking times to the university, as well as how many people you get in a flat. Also, if you have any questions and haven't asked them at/been to an Open Day, then you can ask them here!

Secondly, parking. Its been brought up a lot on this sub-forum, so I thought I'd clear it up. You can bring your car to university, but parking for students is very, very limited. Knoll Court, Glenamara House and Stephenson Building do have car parks available at an extra cost if you book into one of those. You can also get a student parking permit by ringing Campus Services, but they go quickly. Other than that, you will need to find somewhere else to park (such as an NCP Season Pass car park or private parking). If you really need your car (we have decent enough public transport though!), then those are your options :smile:.

Any other questions?

Hey,

Would you happen to know anything about Parrish Court? I saw their website and I was under the impression it was a privately rented place (it says it's for 'professionals' too?) but after some googling it seems they have a partnership with Northumbria uni? :confused: Quite confused because I can't find anything on their website regarding Parrish - has that partnership ended? Most of the posts on TSR about Parrish seem to be from ~2012.

Mostly just wondering if you know anyone that lives there/if it's a popular student place. Any insight is useful really.

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by dp247
Hey guys, I'm a second year student here at Northumbria and I'm here to take any of your accommodation/other university questions.

First up, accommodation. If you're stuck finding which accommodation you'd rather be in, I've made a map to help you decide. It includes proximity/walking times to the university, as well as how many people you get in a flat. Also, if you have any questions and haven't asked them at/been to an Open Day, then you can ask them here!

Secondly, parking. Its been brought up a lot on this sub-forum, so I thought I'd clear it up. You can bring your car to university, but parking for students is very, very limited. Knoll Court, Glenamara House and Stephenson Building do have car parks available at an extra cost if you book into one of those. You can also get a student parking permit by ringing Campus Services, but they go quickly. Other than that, you will need to find somewhere else to park (such as an NCP Season Pass car park or private parking). If you really need your car (we have decent enough public transport though!), then those are your options :smile:.

Any other questions?

I'm going to be studying at Coach Lane Campus so I haven't seen any of the accommodation that i'd e choosing from over at the main city campus.
What would you recommend?
I'm wanting en-suite but for as cheap as possible
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,
I'm stuck deciding between Lovaine hall, clapham house or camden court. I'll be in the Ellison building quite a lot studying interior architecture and i don't mind a walk but I don't want to be miles away either. Have any suggestions on which accommodation is best?
Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by elliec_
I'm going to be studying at Coach Lane Campus so I haven't seen any of the accommodation that i'd e choosing from over at the main city campus.
What would you recommend?
I'm wanting en-suite but for as cheap as possible

All ensuites are about the same price of £120 per week.. except Camden Court, which is £113 p/w (£4881 for the year) and is the closest to the turning circle. The next best and closest for you would probably be New Bridge Street at £122 p/w (£4994 for the year).

Original post by 1996spooky
Hi,
I'm stuck deciding between Lovaine hall, clapham house or camden court. I'll be in the Ellison building quite a lot studying interior architecture and i don't mind a walk but I don't want to be miles away either. Have any suggestions on which accommodation is best?
Thank you

Camden Court is definitely the nicest out of those three. I'm based in the Ellison Building quite a lot too, so I'd say widen your search to Stepney Lane (so, Manor Bank, Liberty Quay, New Bridge Street) as it only takes about 12 minutes to get from Stepney to Ellison. (PS. I loved my time at Liberty Quay last year).
Reply 10
Original post by k3ro
Hey,

Would you happen to know anything about Parrish Court? I saw their website and I was under the impression it was a privately rented place (it says it's for 'professionals' too?) but after some googling it seems they have a partnership with Northumbria uni? :confused: Quite confused because I can't find anything on their website regarding Parrish - has that partnership ended? Most of the posts on TSR about Parrish seem to be from ~2012.

Mostly just wondering if you know anyone that lives there/if it's a popular student place. Any insight is useful really.

Thanks!

Just seen this one too! It seems Parrish Court is run by an external company. I don't think they have a partnership with Northumbria, I think they just target the students because Parrish Court is based in Byker..
Reply 11
Original post by dp247
Just seen this one too! It seems Parrish Court is run by an external company. I don't think they have a partnership with Northumbria, I think they just target the students because Parrish Court is based in Byker..

Haha thanks for the reply. I think they used to have a Northumbria partnership a while ago, but not for the past 1-3 years. Think I'm gonna go for it since it's ridic cheap.
Reply 12
Giving this a bump!
Reply 13
has anyone lived in trinity square? I wanna live somewhere modern and lively and was wondering if this place was any good?
Reply 14
Original post by judefir
has anyone lived in trinity square? I wanna live somewhere modern and lively and was wondering if this place was any good?

Not lived there, but know people who have. Its extremely modern (next year will be its second year open), has its own gym, meeting rooms, TVs and pool tables and is built above a student village with a cinema, 24hr Tesco and various other amenities. That's all I know - other people say its a mixed bag when it comes to liveliness, but I assume there's still plenty going on.
Original post by dp247
All ensuites are about the same price of £120 per week.. except Camden Court, which is £113 p/w (£4881 for the year) and is the closest to the turning circle. The next best and closest for you would probably be New Bridge Street at £122 p/w (£4994 for the year).

Camden Court is definitely the nicest out of those three. I'm based in the Ellison Building quite a lot too, so I'd say widen your search to Stepney Lane (so, Manor Bank, Liberty Quay, New Bridge Street) as it only takes about 12 minutes to get from Stepney to Ellison. (PS. I loved my time at Liberty Quay last year).

What did you love about Liberty Quay? also what do you think of manor bank?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking of choosing Liberty Quay as one of mine, what do you think of it?
Reply 17
Original post by realcloud
What did you love about Liberty Quay? also what do you think of manor bank?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hannah_1997
Thinking of choosing Liberty Quay as one of mine, what do you think of it?

Sorry my reply is late... its exam season! :rolleyes:

Liberty is pretty good. Six bedrooms to a flat and a kitchen/lounge with a Freeview TV, fridge/freezer, dining table and chairs and a locked cupboard each (so no food stealing). Bedrooms are a good size, but they're only single bed (unless you get a premium room which come in some of the flats). Bathrooms are a good size too, and they're proper bathrooms too (not washrooms where the floor gets wet every time you shower). Liberty is fob-access only, although you can buzz family and friends in and out, and because of this, you can only get into your own block. There's 24 hour security on site and reception/mail collection/maintenance office is open 9-5, 5 days a week. There's also a common room with a pool table in (I think) which is situated next to the laundry room, and that has 12 washers and 12 dryers in. In terms of how social it is, I only got to know my flatmates and the flat across the hall pretty well, but that varies from person to person I suppose. Parties are allowed too, as long as there's no noise complaints or people wrecking the place. Those are mainly the reasons I loved Liberty, as no accommodation really has all of those.

As for Manor Bank, I've only been in once. From what I remember the flats look nicer, although I think the rooms are slightly smaller than Liberty's. Both are some of the nicest accommodation Northumbria has to offer though, and they're literally five minutes away from campus and the city, so you can save on taxi fares for night outs xD.
Original post by dp247
Sorry my reply is late... its exam season! :rolleyes:

Liberty is pretty good. Six bedrooms to a flat and a kitchen/lounge with a Freeview TV, fridge/freezer, dining table and chairs and a locked cupboard each (so no food stealing). Bedrooms are a good size, but they're only single bed (unless you get a premium room which come in some of the flats). Bathrooms are a good size too, and they're proper bathrooms too (not washrooms where the floor gets wet every time you shower). Liberty is fob-access only, although you can buzz family and friends in and out, and because of this, you can only get into your own block. There's 24 hour security on site and reception/mail collection/maintenance office is open 9-5, 5 days a week. There's also a common room with a pool table in (I think) which is situated next to the laundry room, and that has 12 washers and 12 dryers in. In terms of how social it is, I only got to know my flatmates and the flat across the hall pretty well, but that varies from person to person I suppose. Parties are allowed too, as long as there's no noise complaints or people wrecking the place. Those are mainly the reasons I loved Liberty, as no accommodation really has all of those.

As for Manor Bank, I've only been in once. From what I remember the flats look nicer, although I think the rooms are slightly smaller than Liberty's. Both are some of the nicest accommodation Northumbria has to offer though, and they're literally five minutes away from campus and the city, so you can save on taxi fares for night outs xD.

What do you think of new bridge street and Camden court?
Out of the four manor bank, Liberty, new bridge and Camden which would you say is the best for being social and just generally the best one?

Good luck on your exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by realcloud
What do you think of new bridge street and Camden court?
Out of the four manor bank, Liberty, new bridge and Camden which would you say is the best for being social and just generally the best one?

Good luck on your exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, thank you!

I quite liked New Bridge Street - I've had a few friends live there and they quite liked it too. There's only 4(?) beds to a flat, and they're double beds too. You get a massive desk (like Liberty) but a bit less floor space because of it. I think the flats are also a tiny bit smaller as well due to the fact that there's less people, but everything is still very modern (Liberty, Manor Bank and New Bridge were all built in the last 10 years or so). It also has a reception area/common room as well as a laundry room.

Camden Court is the closest accommodation, just off the Northumbria bridge, so perfect for getting up 10 minutes before lectures (I'll advise you that you shouldn't but if you lived there, you probably would anyways). I've only been in twice, but like the rest it has a small reception area. Its quite the maze to get round, but I suppose that'll be okay once you get used to it. The rooms themselves are nice.. if I remember correctly, they're single beds and the rooms are on the smaller size.

I know that probably isn't very helpful, so I did some digging for some videos. Here's a look at Liberty Quay, a tour of Camden Court, the university's guide to New Bridge Street and a friend's video tour of Manor Bank, so hopefully you can get a better idea of what the flats are like yourself. Personally, I really really wanted to go live in New Bridge Street, but ended up loving Liberty Quay more than I thought I would. So my list would be: Liberty Quay, Manor Bank, New Bridge Street, Camden Court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending