The Student Room Group

Choices dilemma

Northumbria Uni v MMU for law - any advice - both have have offered same entry criteria. Northumbria automatically offer Foundation if not meeting criteria. What's the teaching like overall? What's the accommodation like? Pros/Cons of both unis please
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Hi there! :hello: Have you considered attending an open day for these Universities? This will help you get a better picture of what the University is like and you should be able to see the accommodation options during your visit. Additionally, you should look at what the specific modules are at each University as these are likely to differ across the two... you might find that you take preference to certain topics/areas more than others which will help you to choose which University. Another option is to contact the universities and try to speak to a student in the course or a student ambassador; they will be able to tell you a bit more about the University life in each University :yes:

Hope this helps.

Lauren
Wrexham University Representative
Reply 2
Have been to open days - Northumbria felt better
Have been to offer holder days - MMU did better taster lecture but I don't know if this is usual for them.
Student ambassadors were helpful at both.
Accommodation- liked 1 of 2 at Northumbria, didn't like at MMU
Modules - I think they're similar but will check again
Worried about Northumbria being 3.5hrs from home, MMU only 1 hour.
Reply 3
newcastle has some very good and cheaper accom options for students. my accom this year was £116 pw bills included and next year i’m moving to a student house (£320 per month bills included). northumbria are also a very supportive and understanding uni and have good lecturers!
Reply 4
Original post by phi04
newcastle has some very good and cheaper accom options for students. my accom this year was £116 pw bills included and next year i’m moving to a student house (£320 per month bills included). northumbria are also a very supportive and understanding uni and have good lecturers!

Good to know, thanks
Original post by CJ0602
Northumbria Uni v MMU for law - any advice - both have have offered same entry criteria. Northumbria automatically offer Foundation if not meeting criteria. What's the teaching like overall? What's the accommodation like? Pros/Cons of both unis please

Hiya CJ, I hope you're well!

I've done 2 years at Northumbria as a student and am currently on my placement year. I am not a Law student so can't give you specifics about the course unfortunately but I am a business student so I am in the same building as Law and I have really enjoyed the facilities.
I'm not sure what accommodations you are considering but I stayed in Quay Point in first year so if that's one of the ones you're thinking about I'd be happy to answer any questions about that as well as any questions you may have about Northumbria or student life in Newcastle in general.

I hope this helps :smile:

Beth
Northumbria University UG rep
Reply 6
Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hiya CJ, I hope you're well!
I've done 2 years at Northumbria as a student and am currently on my placement year. I am not a Law student so can't give you specifics about the course unfortunately but I am a business student so I am in the same building as Law and I have really enjoyed the facilities.
I'm not sure what accommodations you are considering but I stayed in Quay Point in first year so if that's one of the ones you're thinking about I'd be happy to answer any questions about that as well as any questions you may have about Northumbria or student life in Newcastle in general.
Beth
Northumbria University UG rep

Hi Beth - I've firmed Northumbria 🙂 can you tell me anything about accommodation? I've got a shortlist of Camden Court, Portland Green, The Bridge and Quay Point. I visited Camden Court at an open day and thought it was OK but haven't seen any of the others. I did see New Bridge but didn't like that.
(edited 1 week ago)
Hi CJ, that's great news, congratulations with your exams and we hope to see you in September!

Quay Point is the one I stayed at in first year and I really enjoyed it, I'd say the flats are modern and have nice en-suites, this was very important to me! Also, when I was staying there it was very social so if you want a social accommodation I'd say it's a good one but be sure to weigh up all your options as it is just the one I know most about.

For the ones you didn't manage to visit on the open day, I would recommend having a look on the website https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/accommodation/ or if you have any specific questions about any of them, I would recommend emailing the accommodation team on: [email protected].

Beth
Northumbria UG rep
Reply 8
Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hi CJ, that's great news, congratulations with your exams and we hope to see you in September!
Quay Point is the one I stayed at in first year and I really enjoyed it, I'd say the flats are modern and have nice en-suites, this was very important to me! Also, when I was staying there it was very social so if you want a social accommodation I'd say it's a good one but be sure to weigh up all your options as it is just the one I know most about.
For the ones you didn't manage to visit on the open day, I would recommend having a look on the website https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/accommodation/ or if you have any specific questions about any of them, I would recommend emailing the accommodation team on: [email protected].
Beth
Northumbria UG rep

thanks - do you know anyone else that was in the others - I've looked at the info on the website but was looking for first hand experience if possible
Original post by CJ0602
thanks - do you know anyone else that was in the others - I've looked at the info on the website but was looking for first hand experience if possible

Hi CJ,

Unfortunately I don't know anyone who stayed in these but I'm sure if you do your research, you'll make the right decision! I can try and help you wittle them down a bit as best I can if you like. What are your preferences/ non negotiables when it comes to accommodation? 🙂

Best wishes
Beth
Northumbria UG rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending