The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Considering Northumbria University for MSc in Biotechnology, HELP!

I have gotten offers from Nottingham trent, university of greenwich, essex, aberystwyth and coventry too. But, Northumbria has great course module and from what I've seen on youtube I've fallen in love with New castle. So i need reassurance from students who are studying or finished their masters from here. Are biological sciences faculty in northumbria good? How are the research facilities? How are part-time opportunities in new castle? Is it worth it? Or should i consider the other universities?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have gotten offers from Nottingham trent, university of greenwich, essex, aberystwyth and coventry too. But, Northumbria has great course module and from what I've seen on youtube I've fallen in love with New castle. So i need reassurance from students who are studying or finished their masters from here. Are biological sciences faculty in northumbria good? How are the research facilities? How are part-time opportunities in new castle? Is it worth it? Or should i consider the other universities?

Hiya! 😊
At Essex, we are ranked 10th for biosciences for overall positivity score(National Student Survey 2023, English Broad Discipline Institutions) and 23th in the UK for Biology in the Guardian University Guide 2024.📈

Our course provides you with knowledge, understanding and hands-on experience in modern biotechnology, and with practical insights into current commercial applications.
You will learn about and appraise the approaches that can be used to address the challenges facing our planet, including the development of biofuels, pharmaceuticals and crops to support and feed the growing human population, industrial, plant and medical biotechnology, gene and protein technology, synthetic biology and bioinformatics.

Our university proportionate students one of the highest qualities of teaching alongside giving you the opportunity to tailor your degree to your specific interests.🥼
As a student at Essex you will have access to a vast variety of special facilities from the laboratories in the cutting-edge STEM Centre to our newly refurbished Aquatic Biology Laboratory.
Facilities in the School of Life Sciences | University of Essex

Thought our studies you will be supported by our careers team and the Life Sciences department which will hold taster sessions, bringing guests to discuss their field of work and how you can apply for jobs in that field of study.
Careers in Life Sciences | University of Essex

The Students Union (SU) offers part time jobs on campus in our facilities such us restaurants, coffee shops and much more. You can also apply to be a students ambassador where you help the university organize events.
SU Jobs (essexstudent.com).

Our SU is home for more than 100 societies as well as every week there will be an activity on campus you can join for free from arts and crafts, dog therapy, international mixer, life music, mini golf and much more.🎠🎞🏀🏸🎹🏌️*♀️
Our SU also hosts every Thursday a food market where small business sell their food from all around the world to students as well as our night club transforms into a vintage cloth shop.
This is some of the activities we do but there is much more happening in campus, have a look on our website: Colchester (essexstudent.com)🥗🍜🍰

We have an Open Day 3th April you welcome to came and see the facilities we have as well as speak with current students.
Open Days | University of Essex

If you have any questions don't hesitate in contacting me.

Essex Official Rep- Cat🤩
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Hiya,

I am a student at Northumbria and don't actually study biotech but thought I would give you some basic information that might help!
Here is a link that will tell you more about our science facilities https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/academic-departments/applied-sciences/facilities/ and we are top 25 in the UK for research, see here for more info https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/research/.

In terms of part time opportunities, a lot of my friends are employed alongside their studies and the University themselves offer a range of part time work opportunities.
I don't blame you for falling in love with Newcastle from what you've seen, I am from Yorkshire originally but have been in Newcastle for more than 2 years and absolutely love it, it felt like home very quickly! I would recommend coming to one of our open days if you can to find out more and get a feel for the city but if not we also offer virtual open days. https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/postgraduate-study/northumbria-masters-open-day/

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

Beth
Northumbria UG rep
(edited 1 month ago)
Hello there!

Fantastic that you are considering a wide range of universities! At Aberystwyth our research facilities are great and all our academics are actively involved in cutting edge research, you can read more about the facilities we have here https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/ibers/core-capabilities/research-facilities/.

In terms of part time work we offer the AberWorks scheme which allows students to work up to 15 hours a week in roles throughout the university that work flexibly alongside your studies. There are also lots of jobs available in cafes shops and restaurants in town.

We have an active students union with over 150 sports clubs and societies. The town being fairly small compared to larger city unis has a real student community feel!

If you have any other more specific questions regarding biological study here at Aber do ask as alongside being a student ambassador I am also in my 4th year of a life sciences undergraduate degree.

Best of luck with your decision making and hope you love your course wherever you decide to go!

Laurie
Student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending