The Student Room Group

Which negative ion does this test show I have?

I added silver nitrate and got a white precipitate, then added dilute nitric acid and the precipitate remained but I got effervescence. Thanks :smile:
Should be chloride laddie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Should be chloride laddie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did I get effervescence?
Original post by MsTyrell
Why did I get effervescence?

Because the compound containing the chloride ion could also have other ions which produce effervescence with acid such as carbonate ions so CO2 is produced when reacted with nitric acid.
Reply 4
Original post by Sideman420
Because the compound containing the chloride ion could also have other ions which produce effervescence with acid such as carbonate ions so CO2 is produced when reacted with nitric acid.

Okay, but if the compound contained no chloride at all the precipitate would dissolve when nitric acid was added wouldn't it?
Okay, but if the compound contained no chloride at all the precipitate would dissolve when nitric acid was added wouldn't it?

My inkling is this is a disproportionation reaction with cl2 and hno3 in which case NO2 gas would be formed hence your effervescence.

Double check that I'm not sure

Edit: misread your question so ignore this!
(edited 8 years ago)

If there were no chloride ions and we assume they were the only ions present, then the precipitate wouldn't form in the first place because silver chloride forms the precipitate.

yep, the silver chloride compound will only dissolve in dilute ammonia
Reply 8
Original post by Sideman420
If there were no chloride ions and we assume they were the only ions present, then the precipitate wouldn't form in the first place because silver chloride forms the precipitate.

But silver carbonate would also give a similar coloured precipitate?
But silver carbonate would also give a similar coloured precipitate?

In that case yes, Ag2CO3 forms a false white precipitate. When you react this false white precipitate with nitric acid it dissolves since nitrates are always soluble and CO2 is produced giving effervescence so it can't be carbonate ions since the precipitate remained so I believe there must be chloride ions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending