The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Biology - Paper 1

Scroll to see replies

I put because sperm duct is easier to access/operate due to it being on outside
........or cuz oviduct is inside female body making it hard to do.
Well,I put because the sperm duct is on the outside of body it is easier to access and oviduct is inside female body so much harder to operate
Ventilation occurs in lungs
Original post by Foreboding
For lake C, I said the result could have been an anomaly and that the depth of the secchi disk does not necessarily correlate to pollution precisely. Ie. There could be less phosphate but more alkaline growth

U mean algae growth?
Original post by UltimateLad1
Guys can we try predict what will come up in 2B?

Well,probably cuz yield is supposed to be in paper2 and a lot of things didn't come up like natural selection,fish farming,selective breeding,response
Original post by Zakariyam10
Well,probably cuz yield is supposed to be in paper2 and a lot of things didn't come up like natural selection,fish farming,selective breeding,response

The thing about phosphate levels and fish, wouldn't you roughly call it related to fish farming? I had to do so much guessing with that question :frown:
Guys if you look at the grade boundaries for the past few years we can see that A is 102-120 Not more than that and it has stayed like this for a couple of years and seeing hpw hard and confusing the paper was,many messed up in it so they wont take it above 120 atleast so if you get atleast 70/120 in paper 1 and atleast 50/60 in paper 2 you are most likely to get an A cause then that makes 120/180 so hope for the best and just stop thinking about paper 1 and do your best in paper 2 cause now we know how unexpected questions can come so just like do the markschemes for paper 2 too :smile:
But one vas deferens so the two proximal sperm ducts collide to form it. Any hoo a vasectomy is much less invasive all you need to do is open the scrotum where as you would need to open a woman's abdomen making it more invasive and prone to complications
Original post by helloitsmee
The thing about phosphate levels and fish, wouldn't you roughly call it related to fish farming? I had to do so much guessing with that question :frown:

Good question it relates to eutrophication which we are used to seeing in terms of nitrate fertiliser but the logic is transferable i.e. Depletion of O2 levels
what was the answer about heart attacks and why they occur when there is less oxygen in the body?
Loool #IGCSEbiology on Twitter is hilarious. You guys must check it out hahaha
Reply 351
I said one measurement in April was above the safety line (I.e. So not safe) but the other measurement in April was 1m below it (so therefore safe)
What mark do people reckon they've got?
for this i dont know i wrote something about soil erosion and too much rain in april causing soil erosion so the river might have been filled with other stuff i dont know lol
Original post by trabajador
What mark do people reckon they've got?

i dont i hope i get more than 70 in paper 1 so atleast if i get 50 in the other paper it will make up to An A as seeing the past few years markschemes
Original post by geekface98
Good question it relates to eutrophication which we are used to seeing in terms of nitrate fertiliser but the logic is transferable i.e. Depletion of O2 levels

I've never done that chapter since I'm self-teaching haha, but I wrote loads for that question and was on about competition for oxygen in the pond, which is usually a confined area. Is that what you mean?
Reply 356
Hi, I am doing edexcel double award science as private candidate I think I toalky messed up yesterday paper so want to know if I do good in physic and chemistry is it ok? I mean will they combine the marks and give the result or seperetly. Can any one please help !! And what is the c grade for yesterday's paper ?
Original post by helloitsmee
I've never done that chapter since I'm self-teaching haha, but I wrote loads for that question and was on about competition for oxygen in the pond, which is usually a confined area. Is that what you mean?

I think the main to point to get across is this:
-> phosphate levels are high in the lake
-> encourages growth of algae. Algal 'blooms' form
-> blocks out light for underwater plants so they cannot photosynthesise.
-> underwater plants eventually die as a result.
-> the algae eventually die as well
-> decomposers such as bacteria begin to decompose the dead plants and algae
-> they respire more often, using up oxygen in the water
-> this makes the water anoxic.
-> fish numbers decrease because they cannot get the oxygen they need for aerobic respiration
Original post by Foreboding
I think the main to point to get across is this:
-> phosphate levels are high in the lake
-> encourages growth of algae. Algal 'blooms' form
-> blocks out light for underwater plants so they cannot photosynthesise.
-> underwater plants eventually die as a result.
-> the algae eventually die as well
-> decomposers such as bacteria begin to decompose the dead plants and algae
-> they respire more often, using up oxygen in the water
-> this makes the water anoxic.
-> fish numbers decrease because they cannot get the oxygen they need for aerobic respiration

Yeh that's what I put
Original post by Ngi
Hi, I am doing edexcel double award science as private candidate I think I toalky messed up yesterday paper so want to know if I do good in physic and chemistry is it ok? I mean will they combine the marks and give the result or seperetly. Can any one please help !! And what is the c grade for yesterday's paper ?

Hello, I don't think edexcel combine science results ; they are all separate qualifications. Don't worry though, you can still try and get a better mark in the paper 2. Also, we don't know the grade boundaries yet, but if you want me to guess I'd say 132/180 for A*, 120/180 for an A, 100-110 B and anything less goes to C. Bear in mind, this is the combined mark (paper 1, from yesterday, is out 120 and paper 2 is out of 60, so in total it is out of 180)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending