The Student Room Group

Boston bomber to be executed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32757790
A jury has sentenced Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to the death penalty.

After 14 hours of deliberation, the jury of five men and seven women came to its decision.
Three people were killed at 260 were injured when Tsarnaev and his brother placed bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in 2013.
Jurors made findings on 12 factors that would support the death penalty and 21 mitigating factors his defence said support the decision of life in prison.
Seven of 30 charges Tsarnaev, 21, was convicted of allow the possibility of the death penalty.

Justified?

Scroll to see replies

RIP in peace
The death penalty is state murder.
What will be achieved by giving him the death penalty?
Absolutely nothing, I suspect.
If anything it will make him a hero and encourage others like him.
Original post by h3isenberg
The death penalty is state murder.

It's also the state being unduly nice in this sort of context. He no doubt believes that he will ascend to heaven upon his death as martyr.

The Americans think this is the harshest, ultimate punishment, but a lifetime (especially when you're 21) in a supermax prison is the ultimate punishment.
That is so disgusting and barbaric, the US acting like we're in the Middle East/Middle Ages. People who actually want this are murderers just like him.
Original post by Lady Comstock
It's also the state being unduly nice in this sort of context. He no doubt believes that he will ascend to heaven upon his death as martyr.

The Americans think this is the harshest, ultimate punishment, but a lifetime (especially when you're 21) in a supermax prison is the ultimate punishment.

It isnt a punishment at all, he is basically escaping punishment. Being dead wont bother him when he's dead.
Too light, He should be kept in solitary confinement for the rest of his life, that is much worse.
Reply 8
Death penalty is inappropriate in this case - it makes him a martyr for his cause. Instead, he should be given a whole-life term and be forced to pay for his crimes the long way.
I'm not sure what the state law in Massachusetts is, but in some US states judges are only allowed to impose the death penalty if jurors recommend death instead of life in prison. That seems like too much power in the hands of the jury to me. Cases like this drive people's passions and emotions so that extreme options become the more appealing ones, despite most likely not being the moral or ethical choices. What Tsarnaev and his brother did was terrible, but what does the death penalty achieve? Closure? Hardly. All those hundreds of people still have to live with their trauma and rehabilitation. The families of those three people killed won't get their loved ones back. All sentencing him to death achieves is essentially 'getting our own back' - and it hardly even achieves that in reality.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
you guys are forgetting one thing, this way the taxpayer doesnt have to pay anything. Keeping him in prison costs everyone money

Original post by Greg Jackson
RIP in peace

rest in peace in peace?
Original post by jlsmp
you guys are forgetting one thing, this way the taxpayer doesnt have to pay anything. Keeping him in prison costs everyone money

rest in peace in peace?

Research suggests that the death penalty costs more, not least because of years of death row, numerous appeals, etc.

Agreed.

The Americans seem to be driven on vengeance, as if ending his life as soon as possible by a quick method is the ultimate justice. But he was also, at the time of the attack, a teenager following a corrupted ideology, likely brainwashed by his older brother, which imo amplifies the cruelty of a death penalty.
Reply 13
Research suggests that the death penalty costs more, not least because of years of death row, numerous appeals, etc.

I didnt ask for your opinion did I?
Original post by jlsmp
I didnt ask for your opinion did I?

I'm giving it regardless. This is a public forum y'know; by posting in a debate topic you're impliedly asking for other's opinions.
Original post by jlsmp

Not really. To have a rigorous and fair judicial system, it does cost a lot for a trial and there is always the option for appeal. There has been statistics that show that death penalty charges can actually end up costing more because of the legal fees and how it can still drag on after the sentence.

Even though a miscarriage of justice is extremely unlikely in this case; the fact that there have been numerous false charges is why all death penalty trials have to be thorough.
Original post by driftawaay
That is so disgusting and barbaric, the US acting like we're in the Middle East/Middle Ages. People who actually want this are murderers just like him.

No, they are people with valid opinions that happen to be different from yours.
You do know that there can be opinions other than yours and they can be right don't you?

When you think what awaits him in an American prison I would think a death sentence was the more humane option.
Reply 17
No not justified. They're going to kill him to try as show people that killing is wrong - that in itself is hipocracy. Also America is forever killing people from other countries and causing invasions and stuff so tbh they don't really have a right to tell people killing others is wrong as they have killed the most innocent people and caused the most world disaster

I completely am against the death penalty no matter what the crime.
what he did was horrific but I also believe he was influenced which I know doesn't excuse it but should be taken into consideration. one of the purposes of punishment is reformation you cannot reform someone if they are dead. by killing him more innocent people will suffer for example is family, they didn't know what to do and this is hard for them as well watching their son die. I cannot imagine what the families of those who lost people in the blast are going through and the trial must have brought back horrible memories but even one family wished he didn't die, all the appeals he will have it would keep wounds fresh and they would struggle to carry on
Original post by jlsmp

rest in peace in peace?

I agree it does cost considerably more and part of punishment is detternece and it has been proven that the death penalty isn't one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending