The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

The "probability" thing has been clarified.

Wells: If I were sitting on a jury and the judge had charged the jury that it should apply the preponderance of the evidence standard, I would have checked the box that said, "Proven." I believe the conclusions have been proven by the preponderance of the evidence standard.
I used the words "more probable than not" because that is what is in the rules, because I thought it was appropriate when people read my report to always make sure that they understood the burden of proof that I was following. I did not want someone to read my report if I just said, "proven," and think perhaps I had used just a beyond a reasonable doubt standard. I think that would have been misleading.

So I was very careful to draft in the report just what the appropriate standard of proof was. And that is far different than probable cause, which some reporters have reported. The preponderance of the evidence standard is a commonly-used standard in most civil litigation.

I think the suspension for not cooperating is clearly justified, but because it gets appealed independently it has the highest chance of being reduced. Brady refused to turn over the information relating to the report that was on his phone, and gave evidence that was considered implausible in light of the full body of evidence gathered. If you're going to suspend people for smoking pot I don't understand how you are arguing that they could do anything but suspend Brady. What do you suppose would have been the result if the New Orleans players and organisation stonewalled the NFL regarding the Bounty scandal and refused to provide any evidence? Part of the reason the NFL came down so hard on Incognito was that he tried to have evidence destroyed. 2-4 games for Brady seems about right to me.

I'm not convinced the punishment levied on the organisation is justified, but because that appeal will be heard by Goodell or one of his agents it has virtually no chance of being reduced or overturned.
Hm...so now Goodell is judge, jury and executioner, as he's going to personally hear Brady's appeal. Okay...
lol isn't this the exact thing rule changes were being brought in to avoid?? But the stakes couldn't be higher for Goodell so he's basically in a corner as far as I can see. He already has a dreadful track record on suspensions, but his status as commissioner is propped up by the owners who like that he makes them money. If it turned out that after 5 months of investigating and a week of deliberating, he STILL ****ed up the punishment while also pissing off one of the most influential owners who is also one of his closest personal allies, I don't see how is career could survive.

So I guess politically it is critical for Goodell that a court doesn't have the opportunity to say Wells got it wrong.
Original post by Wattsy
You are not wrong. The Pats are so annoying like that. They've been good pretty much all my life i think!
I've done that now, sorry if I added you without you asking :colondollar:

That's fine, you can stick me down to the 49ers o/
Justin Smith has now retired. How many retirements is that this off-season for them?
Interesting news in Buffalo. Apparently, they will cut EJ Manuel, this off season if he doesn't improve. Wow.
Reply 946
Original post by jammy4041
Interesting news in Buffalo. Apparently, they will cut EJ Manuel, this off season if he doesn't improve. Wow.

I think he'd find a backup spot somewhere if he did get cut. I wanted him to be good just so the poor Bills could actually make the playoffs. I've not seen too much of him recently but the Jags might not be a bad spot; mobile-ish QB behind mobile-ish Bortles who's also fairly robust. Maybe they could sort his throwing out and he'd be a serviceable backup after Chad Henne?
NFL owners approved a change to extra point: Kicks from the 15, 2-point conversions stay at the 2, source says

Should make it interesting and less of an instant point every time for kickers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 948
Original post by Motorbiker
NFL owners approved a change to extra point: Kicks from the 15, 2-point conversions stay at the 2, source says

Should make it interesting and less of an instant point every time for kickers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll miss like 1/90 instead of 1/100. The preseason stats from last year are misleading (camp kickers shanked all but one of the misses I think) and I honestly don't think it changes anything. If you can't hit a 33 yarder incredibly consistently then I don't think you're in the league. The only good thing I suppose is being able to score off them and 2pt attempts because that makes the game more exciting. Is it just 2 points or is it a TD though?
Hm. So Everett Golson is now a Seminole. Good pick up, and he should win the starting job and help that team. FSU may have had a huge turnover on both sides of the ball, but they are an incredibly good team.

Original post by Wattsy
They'll miss like 1/90 instead of 1/100. The preseason stats from last year are misleading (camp kickers shanked all but one of the misses I think) and I honestly don't think it changes anything. If you can't hit a 33 yarder incredibly consistently then I don't think you're in the league. The only good thing I suppose is being able to score off them and 2pt attempts because that makes the game more exciting. Is it just 2 points or is it a TD though?

It would be two points, just like it is in college. But, again,I don't think that it would change too much either.
Now hopefully the NFL will adopt the college overtime rules. Ball on plus-25, no game-clock, no time outs, forced 2pt conversions after the third period of overtime. Real sudden-death possession element.
**** Robert Kraft seriously.
Original post by Malevolent
**** Robert Kraft seriously.

I think it was just a power play by Kraft, hoping that through good behavior the offense could be quashed to just two games. Especially, since Goodell was taking charge of the appeal, Brady wouldn't have had a chance really. An appeal could have even lengthened the ban, for challing Rodger "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH" Goodell.

It is what it is, but out of that start, the Patriots are 3-1 or 2-2 at worst.
Hi everyone,

Sorry to interject somewhat bluntly!

Just created this thread if anyone would like to take a look: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3378423&p=56543563#post56543563

It's about NFL Fantasy and setting a league up!

Thanks!
Original post by Josh_Stride
Hi everyone,

Just created this thread if anyone would like to take a look: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3378423&p=56543563#post56543563

Thanks!

I'm a fairly new fan but I think they run one in this thread each year already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josh_Stride
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hi pal,

I'll set up a league for this thread probably early August time. I'll tag all the regulars in the post, and will add you to the list. Ran fairly smoothly last season but more interest would be great as we only had an 8 team league last year.
Original post by ..DT..
Hi pal,

I'll set up a league for this thread probably early August time. I'll tag all the regulars in the post, and will add you to the list. Ran fairly smoothly last season but more interest would be great as we only had an 8 team league last year.

Awesome! Thanks!
Reply 956
Yeah if we could get up to 10 or 12 teams that would be better. I'll happily play again, last year was great but the waiver wire was just too forgiving with 8, I had some late round pickups that did basically nothing and still came 2nd whilst top scoring.

The big fantasy conundrums for the year are:
Where are you willing to draft Jimmy Graham? (Remember last years TE pool? It was so awful)
Where are you willing to draft OBJ?
Which rookies are draftable in the middle rounds?
Original post by Wattsy
Yeah if we could get up to 10 or 12 teams that would be better. I'll happily play again, last year was great but the waiver wire was just too forgiving with 8, I had some late round pickups that did basically nothing and still came 2nd whilst top scoring.

Where are you willing to draft Jimmy Graham? (Remember last years TE pool? It was so awful)

I will have fun in fantasy this year. That late-season collapse was horrible.
Original post by Wattsy

I'll be up for playing this year.

I'm a relative noob so won't be expecting to win.

I'll be expecting to just learn this year.
Reply 959
Original post by Motorbiker
I'll be up for playing this year.

I'm a relative noob so won't be expecting to win.

I'll be expecting to just learn this year.

I was a rookie last year and came 1st and 2nd in my 2 leagues. If you know about players you can surprise yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest