The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 1 Exam (9th June) [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rtdsv
How bad was this actual Biology exam? What kind of maths stuff came up?

I didn't think it was bad at all...
But anyway maths stuff:
Averages, I think we found a range
Basic percentage change
Interpreting graphs and then adding and subtracting

GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Original post by Young Sinatra
Thanks you too
It's at 1 right?

Depends on your school. My school's starts at 1:30 but my friend's starts at 1.
Reply 342
Original post by Palette
Hoax Paper

1. Saprypo, a drug trafficker, makes a new drug called LPI.

The first stage in making LPI is by reacting 38 g of silicon tetrachloride with with 39 grams of hydrogen and a certain quantity of oxygen to produce 100 g of silicon dioxide:

SiCl4 + 2 H2 + O2 SiO2 + _ HCl

a) Balance the above equation. [1 mark]

b) How many grams of oxygen are required to make 100 g of silicon dioxide, and how did you arrive at your answer? [2 marks]

c) Describe the bonding that takes place between silicon and oxygen to form silicon dioxide You may draw a diagram to aid your answer. [3 marks]

d) Compare the electronic structures, as fully as you can, of silicon (14 electrons) and neon (10 electrons) [2 marks].

a) Compare advantages and disadvantages of concrete over limestone as building materials. [6 marks].

b) What is the primary source of limestone (calcium carbonate)? [2 marks]

c) The large industrial town of Brighton has found limestone deposits on the outskirts of the town equal to limestone deposits found at the Kerrington National Park. Kerrington National Park is in the remote Highlands of Scotland. Suggest two environmental reasons for quarrying near Brighton than quarrying at Kerrington. [2 marks].

a) The results of an experiment was shown below:

Volume of carbon (m^3) per m^3 of steel Density (kg/m^3)
0.25 22
0.3 19
0.35 16
0.4 13
0.45 9
0.5 5

i) The final two readings are anomalies. How can the student check that these results were anomalies [1 mark]

ii) Should the student start the experiment again? Give one reason for and one reason against [2 marks]

iii) Which volume of carbon per m^3 of steel should be used in car steel panels, and why? [2 marks]

b) Saprypo, after he was caught trafficking 30 kg of methamphetamine, became a successful chairman of a metal processing company upon his release.

Pina Rosa, in Brazil, has large stores of iron. The iron is however near the Amazon Basin.

i) What is bioleaching? [2 marks]

ii) Give two reasons why he should consider bioleaching rather than conventional methods. [2 marks]

iii) Give one reason why he may pursue conventional methods nonetheless [1 mark]

a) Here are some alkanes.
Alkane Boiling Point (C)

Pentane 36
Hexane 69
Heptane 98
Octane 125
Nonane 150
Decane 174

Decane is not economical to use as a fuel in households. Suggest and explain why using the table [4 marks]

b) Suggest and explain a social advantage in removing sulfur from fuels before combustion. [3 marks]

iii) Suggest why both carbon monoxide and particulates are harmful to humans [4 marks].<--- Biology, but it's AQA!

a) Ethanol can be produced by reacting ethene with water.

i) What is the name of this type of reaction? [1 mark]

ii) Give a method the ethene can be obtained from and describe it [3 marks].

iii) Suggest and explain why the production of ethanol from ethene is not environmentally friendly [2 marks].

However, producers still prefer to produce ethanol from ethene.

iv) Give one reason why [1 marks]

b) Alkenes are unsaturated hydrocarbons.

i) Define the term 'unsaturated hydrocarbons'? Do not mention the word alkene[2 marks].

ii) Plastics made from cornstarch havebeen developed. Why? [3 marks]

Explain how plant oils can be extracted from plants using distillation [4 marks].

a)

i) Explain how Miller and Urey believed abiogenesis (making life from non life) to be possible. In your answer you should refer to at least two of the gases in the atmosphere at that time. [3 marks]

ii) Suggest a shortcoming of the Miller Urey experiment [1 mark]

ii) Suggest one other theory about the origins of life [1 mark]

End of questions.

is this the exam today?
Original post by Palette
Hoax Paper

1. Saprypo, a drug trafficker, makes a new drug called LPI.

The first stage in making LPI is by reacting 38 g of silicon tetrachloride with with 39 grams of hydrogen and a certain quantity of oxygen to produce 100 g of silicon dioxide:

SiCl4 + 2 H2 + O2 SiO2 + _ HCl

a) Balance the above equation. [1 mark]

b) How many grams of oxygen are required to make 100 g of silicon dioxide, and how did you arrive at your answer? [2 marks]

c) Describe the bonding that takes place between silicon and oxygen to form silicon dioxide You may draw a diagram to aid your answer. [3 marks]

d) Compare the electronic structures, as fully as you can, of silicon (14 electrons) and neon (10 electrons) [2 marks].

a) Compare advantages and disadvantages of concrete over limestone as building materials. [6 marks].

b) What is the primary source of limestone (calcium carbonate)? [2 marks]

c) The large industrial town of Brighton has found limestone deposits on the outskirts of the town equal to limestone deposits found at the Kerrington National Park. Kerrington National Park is in the remote Highlands of Scotland. Suggest two environmental reasons for quarrying near Brighton than quarrying at Kerrington. [2 marks].

a) The results of an experiment was shown below:

Volume of carbon (m^3) per m^3 of steel Density (kg/m^3)
0.25 22
0.3 19
0.35 16
0.4 13
0.45 9
0.5 5

i) The final two readings are anomalies. How can the student check that these results were anomalies [1 mark]

ii) Should the student start the experiment again? Give one reason for and one reason against [2 marks]

iii) Which volume of carbon per m^3 of steel should be used in car steel panels, and why? [2 marks]

b) Saprypo, after he was caught trafficking 30 kg of methamphetamine, became a successful chairman of a metal processing company upon his release.

Pina Rosa, in Brazil, has large stores of iron. The iron is however near the Amazon Basin.

i) What is bioleaching? [2 marks]

ii) Give two reasons why he should consider bioleaching rather than conventional methods. [2 marks]

iii) Give one reason why he may pursue conventional methods nonetheless [1 mark]

a) Here are some alkanes.
Alkane Boiling Point (C)

Pentane 36
Hexane 69
Heptane 98
Octane 125
Nonane 150
Decane 174

Decane is not economical to use as a fuel in households. Suggest and explain why using the table [4 marks]

b) Suggest and explain a social advantage in removing sulfur from fuels before combustion. [3 marks]

iii) Suggest why both carbon monoxide and particulates are harmful to humans [4 marks].<--- Biology, but it's AQA!

a) Ethanol can be produced by reacting ethene with water.

i) What is the name of this type of reaction? [1 mark]

ii) Give a method the ethene can be obtained from and describe it [3 marks].

iii) Suggest and explain why the production of ethanol from ethene is not environmentally friendly [2 marks].

However, producers still prefer to produce ethanol from ethene.

iv) Give one reason why [1 marks]

b) Alkenes are unsaturated hydrocarbons.

i) Define the term 'unsaturated hydrocarbons'? Do not mention the word alkene[2 marks].

ii) Plastics made from cornstarch havebeen developed. Why? [3 marks]

Explain how plant oils can be extracted from plants using distillation [4 marks].

a)

i) Explain how Miller and Urey believed abiogenesis (making life from non life) to be possible. In your answer you should refer to at least two of the gases in the atmosphere at that time. [3 marks]

ii) Suggest a shortcoming of the Miller Urey experiment [1 mark]

ii) Suggest one other theory about the origins of life [1 mark]

End of questions.

how did you come up with that wow
for the limestone vs concrete one, what would be some advantages of limestone? can only come up with disadvantages and advantages of concrete. thanks

good luck everybody!
Original post by iKali
is this the exam today?

Lolololol no, just a practice paper made by the talented Palette
Anyone done the c1 exam yet?
Original post by Eshanth
Hydration reaction ---> water is added
Ethene + Steam ---> Ethanol
C2H4 + H2O ---> C2H5OH
+ continuous process - lots made!
+ Produces no waste products

- Requires lost of heat and energy
- Relies on a non renewable resource

Fermentation---> Sugar from plants is broken down by enzymes in yeast
Sugar + yeast ---> Ethanol + Carbon Dioxide
+ uses renewable resources

- Takes longer to produce
- CO2 is given off.

Reply 347
Original post by CirqueDesRêves

Np!
For the Miller-Urey experiment i got taught that they used water as one of the gases. i also got taught they were criticized for assuming there was no oxygen in the earth's early atmosphere but water contains oxygen so surely they didn't assume this? Have i learnt it wrong?
Original post by Johnaman123
Anyone done the c1 exam yet?

everyone does it at similar times....the earliest I've heard it being done is 1pm but our school starts at 2.

However, you have to be inside the exam hall 10 mins prior to the exam starting so there is no way that anyone could do the exam and tell others about it

Someone please help me so the general equation for carbonates reacting with acids is:
acid + metal carbonate salt + water + carbon dioxide
so what is the salt calcium carbonate and an acid such as hydrochloric acid make. My brain has suddenly gone blank

Can we expect to see things such as poly(ethene) this year? I believe this came up last year, but I don't understand AQA anymore, they're a bit strange.
Original post by MVEMJSUNP

Someone please help me so the general equation for carbonates reacting with acids is:
acid + metal carbonate salt + water + carbon dioxide
so what is the salt calcium carbonate and an acid such as hydrochloric acid make. My brain has suddenly gone blank

Calcium Chloride right? :smile:
Reply 353

Wait what. Since when did we need to know that kinda stuff???
Original post by Rtdsv
Wait what. Since when did we need to know that kinda stuff???

I thought we didnt but its in the specification... if your doing higher

Yes I get it now!!! thanks soo much. Good luck :smile:
Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 11.07.50.png

This is what it says on the spec about Miller-Urey. Does it mean we have to know exactly how it works or just know about it?
Can someone kindly explain to me :

-extracting copper-rich ores, lower grade ores
-Fuels
-Cracking and polymerisation
-New polymers, waste and ethanol
-Oils

Thankyou any help would be much appreciated, I have been stuck on these for a while now xx
Is it fine to just write that:

When extracting copper from copper-rich ores, you use smelting in a large furnace, and then use electrolysis to collect pure coppper, however this can be very expensive to produce and alot of pollution is produced which causes damage to the environment.

When extracting copper from low grade copper ores, scientists have found 2 ways this can be done; Phtomining and bioleaching. Phytomining involves burning plants that have absorbed copper ions. Then electrolysis. displacement is used to collect pure copper.Bioleaching involves bacteria that feed on low grade ore, and they produce a waste product of copper ions (byproduct). Then electrolysis/displacement is used to purify the copper, ready to be used.
Is there any way that anyone would know what's in the exam before doing it? Like if one school does it earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending