The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 96jaimin96
That doesn't make sense, you mean the average banker will earn more than the average trader.

it does make sense

best banker earns more than the average trader

the best trader will earn more than the best banker
Hi,

I’m studying Business Analysis & Consulting (i.e. Management Science) at Strathclyde Business School. I’m from Germany, but I want to stay in the UK (preferably London) after having completed my degree in Glasgow. Given my field of study, I’d like to get a job in management consulting.

Here are the most important facts concerning my education etc.:

Education:

German Abitur (A-levels): 1.5 [scale from 1 (best) to 5(worst)] --> top 5%

BSc in Business Administration: 2.1 (same scale) --> roughly equals an Upper Second in the UK; target university of all big consulting firms (including MBB) in Germany; top 30% (not good, just mentioning it for the sake of consistency^^)

MSc in Business Analysis & Consulting at Strathclyde Business School: overall mark prior to Master thesis: 75% (lowest individual mark: 70%) --> expected distinction and at least top 5%

Project/work experience:

Internship 1: management consulting at a small local consulting firm in Germany (2 months)

Internship 2: key account management at Lindt & Sprungli Germany (4 months)

Internship 3: data analysis at a local start-up (part of my MSc; 3 weeks)

Social project (conducting language classes and cultural workshops) in Malaysia (1.5 months)

MSc project (in cooperation with a real client, resembling a consulting project): Investigation of the erosion of profit margins at a local producer of seafood (3 months)

Extracurricular activities:

Founded a youth parliament in my hometown

Was a personal tutor at my old university in Germany

Am a volunteer and treasurer at Oxfam

Am founding a student-led consulting firm together with three fellow students

Other achievements:

2 scholarships: one from a German institution providing scholarships for outstanding pupils or students (I know this sounds self-regarding, but I can’t find a better translation.) and one from an online career platform in Germany

I understand that my CV is by no means competitive enough to land a job with McKinsey, Bain, BCG, or Oliver Wyman, but what about firms like OC&C, A.T. Kearney, Simon Kucher & Partner, Arthur D. Little, or Eden McCallum (‘2nd tier” and “hidden champions”)? Do you think I might have a shot at these firms? I’ve checked a few LinkedIn profiles of people working for these companies, and the majority seems to come from either Oxbridge or one of the universities in London, which makes me a bit sceptical.

I hope some of you can give me a hint =).

Thanks!

PS: Sorry, this became longer than intended^^.
Original post by MarvinBVB
Hi,

I’m studying Business Analysis & Consulting (i.e. Management Science) at Strathclyde Business School. I’m from Germany, but I want to stay in the UK (preferably London) after having completed my degree in Glasgow. Given my field of study, I’d like to get a job in management consulting.

Education:

BSc in Business Administration: 2.1 (same scale) --> roughly equals an Upper Second in the UK; target university of all big consulting firms (including MBB) in Germany; top 30% (not good, just mentioning it for the sake of consistency^^)

MSc in Business Analysis & Consulting at Strathclyde Business School: overall mark prior to Master thesis: 75% (lowest individual mark: 70%) --> expected distinction and at least top 5%

Project/work experience:

Internship 1: management consulting at a small local consulting firm in Germany (2 months)

Social project (conducting language classes and cultural workshops) in Malaysia (1.5 months)

MSc project (in cooperation with a real client, resembling a consulting project): Investigation of the erosion of profit margins at a local producer of seafood (3 months)

Other achievements:

2 scholarships: one from a German institution providing scholarships for outstanding pupils or students (I know this sounds self-regarding, but I can’t find a better translation.) and one from an online career platform in Germany

I understand that my CV is by no means competitive enough to land a job with McKinsey, Bain, BCG, or Oliver Wyman, but what about firms like OC&C, A.T. Kearney, Simon Kucher & Partner, Arthur D. Little, or Eden McCallum (‘2nd tier” and “hidden champions”)? Do you think I might have a shot at these firms? I’ve checked a few LinkedIn profiles of people working for these companies, and the majority seems to come from either Oxbridge or one of the universities in London, which makes me a bit sceptical.

Thanks!

You'll be fine mate.
x

u have nothing to lose sending in apps. u seem component with good exp. considered big 4 consulting?
Hi,

Education:

Project/work experience:

Other achievements:

Thanks!

the intake of the tier 2 firms is actually smaller than mbb oc and c and ow, rb so it wouldnt be easier for you per say there than the tier 1s. your cv is full of strong extra currics which apart from uni name is the strongest holding by far to have when applying to strat firms. problem is that there are maybe 15 consulting firms at most. pm if want to talk further, will be applying for consulting summers from september.
Original post by gr8wizard10
u have nothing to lose sending in apps. u seem component with good exp. considered big 4 consulting?

what you wrote doesnt make sense. also if you have an offer with a firm what do you do to speed up the response with another, i.e literally just at app stage with the second firm? esp if they are big rivals? you dont want to seem rude and name drop to the rival firm and make it blatant lol.
Original post by welcometoib
what you wrote doesnt make sense. also if you have an offer with a firm what do you do to speed up the response with another, i.e literally just at app stage with the second firm? esp if they are big rivals? you dont want to seem rude and name drop to the rival firm and make it blatant lol.

he ask "do i have chance with these firms", i responded he has nothing to loose and he seems compotent. :smile:
he ask "do i have chance with these firms", i responded he has nothing to loose and he seems compotent. :smile:

ohhh, sorry bro, you wrote component, i got confused, competent, and also answer for the q pls!
ohhh, sorry bro, you wrote component, i got confused, competent, and also answer for the q pls!

my spelling is not on fleek today :frown:

need to speak to u lol weirdest **** happened yday..

yeah speed up app, email other firm if you have a exploding offer, if they can, theys hould be able to prioritise your app
my spelling is not on fleek today :frown:

need to speak to u lol weirdest **** happened yday..

yeah speed up app, email other firm if you have a exploding offer, if they can, theys hould be able to prioritise your app

eye tink we shud steek 2 our roots hombre

lol phone dead give me an hour or so, life of the bae is always full of new shiz

alrightey, just thinking about future and salary considerations,assuming everything else is ceterus (sp) paribus between the two.
Original post by Noble.
Nah most people finish around now, mathmos always have exams a bit later (in the first two years we still have lectures for half the third term) but I have one of the last exams. Bit annoying as it seems most internships aren't starting until the week after and the week off would've been useful.

I think that's true of Markets/Securities in general versus IBD but I don't think Research is as bad for it as the other market roles (trading definitely).

well i guess its dependent on your appreciation for risk appetite in the first place, so i know you were applying for trading initially anyway so you probably would find research mild haha, compared to peeps applying to non trading roles :smile:
well i guess its dependent on your appreciation for risk appetite in the first place, so i know you were applying for trading initially anyway so you probably would find research mild haha, compared to peeps applying to non trading roles :smile:

Possibly, yeah. I'll hopefully be getting some time on a trading desk during the internship so I can make a bit of a judgement.
Original post by Noble.
Possibly, yeah. I'll hopefully be getting some time on a trading desk during the internship so I can make a bit of a judgement.

how big/small is the team? i dont know what its like at the bbs apart from for one, assume size varies a lot at different firms.
how big/small is the team? i dont know what its like at the bbs apart from for one, assume size varies a lot at different firms.

Size of which team, ER, the desk/sector I'm on or trading at CS? Not sure about the latter. I don't think trading is particularly large at CS, compared to other IBs.
Original post by Noble.
Size of which team, ER, the desk/sector I'm on or trading at CS? Not sure about the latter. I don't think trading is particularly large at CS, compared to other IBs.

er at cs generally if you know that, and the desk youre on
er at cs generally if you know that, and the desk youre on

Yeah there are 80 in ER in total. Not sure about the total size of my desk but I think it's quite a big desk as it has two MDs (presumably because the desk I'm on actually covers 2-3 equity sectors).
Original post by Noble.
Yeah there are 80 in ER in total. Not sure about the total size of my desk but I think it's quite a big desk as it has two MDs (presumably because the desk I'm on actually covers 2-3 equity sectors).

oh wow i think thats a lot! hmm let us know how its going on during the internship :smile:
Would anyone recommend any books to read regarding IB?
Guys is 5 A*, 4 A's, a B and a C good enough for IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SpeedyGonzalez
Guys is 5 A*, 4 A's, a B and a C good enough for IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one cares about GCSEs, as long as you get AAB (although probably AAA by the time you come to apply) you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending