The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Jaxson was insane! The Wembley entrances have always been a spectacle and when the team had no real identifying players JdV was almost the face of the franchise.
Reply 981
PED Suspension Day! No real horrors, obviously Richardson, McLain and Gates all hurt their respective teams but Cowboys; don't care, Jets; going nowhere and Chargers; just a meh team.
Original post by Wattsy
PED Suspension Day! No real horrors, obviously Richardson, McLain and Gates all hurt their respective teams but Cowboys; don't care, Jets; going nowhere and Chargers; just a meh team.

I really couldn't believe Antonio Gates though. A respected pro and future hall of famer no less.
Those weren't listed as PED suspensions, they were substance abuse (ie. non-PED but still banned drugs).
Reply 984
AZ Cards fan here
With all of the Russell Wilson rumours of his baseball rights being traded to the Seattle Mariners, which NFL player do you think is likely to be able to play some baseball?

I heard Tim Tebow was a three-sport wonderkid who was nearly drafted by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim out of high school. Weirdly, especially he's a QB, he was a pretty good slugger.

I'm not going to lie, it would be really cool to see Russell Wilson pitch for the Mariners, and play QB(/RB?!) for the Seahawks. Jameis Winston could do the same for the Rays in Tampa too.

Of course, no team is going to let their star QB do that but, it would be cool nevertheless.
Reply 986
Original post by SmashConcept
Those weren't listed as PED suspensions, they were substance abuse (ie. non-PED but still banned drugs).

You are right as usual. I did know this but it's the holidays, my brain isn't quite at its best.
I know nothing about baseball but I assume Terrelle Pryor would be the best at every sport ever. As a wide out he's comparable to Stephen Hill/Calvin Johnson so it will be interesting to see where he ends up on that production spectrum, although realistically it will probably be toward the Hill end. One thing that could separate him is that he's between the sizes of Virgil Green and Vernon Davis, which means if the Browns can use him to block just often enough to keep the dime back off the field they get to generate matchups with him, Hartline, Bowe and Benjiman that could actually make McCown productive.
Oh wow JPP apparently has had his right index finger amputated after that fireworks incident :redface:
Reply 989
What a plonker JPP is. Will lack of index finger affect his game?
Original post by Wattsy
What a plonker JPP is. Will lack of index finger affect his game?

JPP will be fine. The amputation will help, since it cuts the risk of infection. In theory, thanks to the amputation, he'll be back quicker. It'll take some time for him to adjust, but for a lineman, losing a finger is nothing.

However, it is a big blow for the Giants. I'm surprised they haven't rescinded the franchise tag on him or something.

For the Tampa CB, who lost two fingers, it is a much bigger blow. Not only is there the change in positions, there's the fact that he was competing for a roster spot. His NFL career is most likely done, while JPP will get another chance at least.
Wow. DT, you put me through such an emotional rollercoaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still, Glad he's a Bronco for 5 more years. $70m with $35m fully guaranteed is an awesome deal. Its fairly front-loaded and protects the team in the short run.

Per MileHighReport:2015$22 million. He will receive an $11 million signing bonus, $6.5 million in roster bonus and a $4.5 million salary. All $22 million is fully guaranteed.
[Counts for $13.2m against the cap, per OverTheCap]2016$13 million salary, fully guaranteed. 2017$8.5 million salary, guaranteed against injury. The full salary becomes fully guaranteed early in the league year.2018$12.5 million. It includes a $4 million option, plus an $8.5 million salary. None of this money is guaranteed.2019$14 million salary, not guaranteed.
Good move by the Broncos and Cowboys
Original post by jammy4041
Wow. DT, you put me through such an emotional rollercoaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still, Glad he's a Bronco for 5 more years. $70m with $35m fully guaranteed is an awesome deal. Its fairly front-loaded and protects the team in the short run.

Per MileHighReport:2015$22 million. He will receive an $11 million signing bonus, $6.5 million in roster bonus and a $4.5 million salary. All $22 million is fully guaranteed.
[Counts for $13.2m against the cap, per OverTheCap]2016$13 million salary, fully guaranteed. 2017$8.5 million salary, guaranteed against injury. The full salary becomes fully guaranteed early in the league year.2018$12.5 million. It includes a $4 million option, plus an $8.5 million salary. None of this money is guaranteed.2019$14 million salary, not guaranteed.

I read this and was like 'huh wtf have I done' lmao.

Great job by the Broncos to keep hold of him.
Over The Cap has nice breakdown of the contracts.

DT will get the more, even compared to Megatron, in the first two years. And then Dez Bryant will get more in the first three years overall. However, it is interesting that in the grand scheme of things, the Broncos and Cowboys are essentially paying the same money as Seattle is for Sherman (over the four years), the Jets for Revis and the Cardinals for Peterson.

http://overthecap.com/contract-showdown-the-14-million-players/

There's still money to be found on the roster, and when Osweiler gets his chance, DT will need to be there. DT's a good fit in the Kubiak offense because of his blocking talents, (when he wants to) and because of his deep threat speed, and YAC -- in addition to being a prime red-zone target.

However, something is seriously going to have to give, between Peyton's contract and Demarcus Ware's 10m savings against the cap, but hopefully a deal can be done to lock up von Miller.

The bar has well and truly been raised by Justin Houston though, after his big money contract which will pay out more than JJ Watt. While I don't think von Miller is as valuable to the Broncos as Houston is to KC or Watt to Houston, he's an elite pass rusher, who is pretty darn good against the run -- and he'll probably want Houston money, of around $16m per year now. That'll be difficult to manage.
Reply 995
Original post by jammy4041

However, something is seriously going to have to give, between Peyton's contract and Demarcus Ware's 10m savings against the cap, but hopefully a deal can be done to lock up von Miller.

The Broncos are loaded. What a nice problem to have! I'm so glad Peyton is old or the dynasty could be Patriots-esque!

In Jacksonville they're trying to work out if they have any useful safeties for week 1 and what they're going to do pass rushing without their 1st round pick. In Tenessee the biggest difference between Mariota and Mettenberger has been that Mariota is faster (no ****) so they don't know if they have a good QB. The Texans definitely don't have a good QB, one may be serviceable at best. The Colts are going to win the division again... SURPRISE! Then lose to somebody; probably the Patriots because they draft another TY Hilton instead of helping a defence which is bereft of stars outside of Mathis and Davis. It's going to be another fun year in the AFC South.
Original post by Wattsy
The Broncos are loaded. What a nice problem to have! I'm so glad Peyton is old or the dynasty could be Patriots-esque!

In Jacksonville they're trying to work out if they have any useful safeties for week 1 and what they're going to do pass rushing without their 1st round pick. In Tenessee the biggest difference between Mariota and Mettenberger has been that Mariota is faster (no ****) so they don't know if they have a good QB. The Texans definitely don't have a good QB, one may be serviceable at best. The Colts are going to win the division again... SURPRISE! Then lose to somebody; probably the Patriots because they draft another TY Hilton instead of helping a defence which is bereft of stars outside of Mathis and Davis. It's going to be another fun year in the AFC South.

I think that's actually good news regarding Mariota. Mettenberger is a good solid QB in every respect other than his speed, which just isn't good enough. He knows he can't roll out, and he looks panicked when he steps up. He just doesn't appear to have the baseline athleticism necessary to start in the NFL.
Cowboys finally signed Dez on the last day they could thank god.

Going to suck without Murray a bit but Dez has and always will catch it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 998
I want to unfollow NFL.com on Twitter because clickbait is evil. Is there any less clickbaity sites that I can follow which will do the same sort of job?
Original post by Wattsy
I want to unfollow NFL.com on Twitter because clickbait is evil. Is there any less clickbaity sites that I can follow which will do the same sort of job?

Ugh, tell me about it. I like SB Nation ones. bigcatcountry.com is the one for the Jags, however, there should be one for the NFL as a whole. I would suggest ESPN also, but they can just be as bad.

I hate it when they are on facebook and stuff, and lure you in to listen to some 40minute podcast...it's soooooooo annoying!!

Quick Reply

Latest