The Student Room Group

When did you start revising for GCSE?

When did you start taking notes and doing some light revision? When did you switch to hardcore revision and what grades did you get for GCSE?

Many thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd been revising on and off since the start of the year, but it was only really touching up on a couple of things.
My hardcore revision started around 2-3months before exams started in late April. I don't know what grades I have got yet though, less than 2 weeks until results day for me :s-smilie:
I revised for the subjects I wanted to do well in (Maths & Sciences), got As in them, the rest were Bs and Cs
Original post by Misora
I'd been revising on and off since the start of the year, but it was only really touching up on a couple of things.
My hardcore revision started around 2-3months before exams started in late April. I don't know what grades I have got yet though, less than 2 weeks until results day for me :s-smilie:

Good luck on results day :h:
I started revising a month before my first exam 😂 I didn't see GCSEs as a big deal at the time. I got decent grades in my opinion 1 A* 4 As 6 Bs and 2Cs could've done better probably😂 don't do what I did, do revise as soon as you get the chance to it'll make it easier near the end
Reply 5
We had summer exams in year 10 like in year 7, 8 and 9 so I revised properly for them as I thought it would really help for the mocks in December. For the mocks I started revising early October, but only because I had a lot of stuff on. I would start revising around half term. For the real exams I started revising in the middle of March. If you have a particular subject you really think you need to work on, for me it was history- so much to remember! - then maybe read a couple of pages a night and just try to learn them starting in January... Reading this it looks like I did loads, but I had a lot of breaks. It's a lot less than a lot of people did! I guess it just depends on how long it takes you to learn things, how much determination you have and how long you can revise without getting really bored! Good luck, it's worth it to feel good after an exam!
Original post by May_
We had summer exams in year 10 like in year 7, 8 and 9 so I revised properly for them as I thought it would really help for the mocks in December. For the mocks I started revising early October, but only because I had a lot of stuff on. I would start revising around half term. For the real exams I started revising in the middle of March. If you have a particular subject you really think you need to work on, for me it was history- so much to remember! - then maybe read a couple of pages a night and just try to learn them starting in January... Reading this it looks like I did loads, but I had a lot of breaks. It's a lot less than a lot of people did! I guess it just depends on how long it takes you to learn things, how much determination you have and how long you can revise without getting really bored! Good luck, it's worth it to feel good after an exam!

so are you currently waiting for your results? :smile:
Original post by May_

You seem like a really hard worker & I would be incredibly surprised if you didn't get at least all A's
I didnt!
Like a day before the exam for certain subjects. Mainly a month before is where my revision started
Reply 10
Original post by munnaa
so are you currently waiting for your results? :smile:

Yep, getting them on the 20th, I will be on holiday so my aunt is picking them up for me and sending a picture to me! To be honest I'm glad I won't have to open them in front of people at school!
Reply 11
Original post by Real_jenn
You seem like a really hard worker & I would be incredibly surprised if you didn't get at least all A's

That actually really means a lot! I think I could have done less for the same results, but I get quite panicky so wanted to make sure I'd be ok :smile:
I started revising about a week or less (it varied) before my exams. Maybe one subject was around two weeks, I can't remember :tongue:
Did pretty much the same thing for AS levels, it was a bad idea to leave it so late so please don't do that :biggrin:
Original post by Beardless
I didnt!

What were your results? :redface:
Original post by May_
Yep, getting them on the 20th, I will be on holiday so my aunt is picking them up for me and sending a picture to me! To be honest I'm glad I won't have to open them in front of people at school!

Haha don't say that, i'm sure you aced all of your exams :smile: Good luck on results day :hugs:
Was revising lightly until Feb where hardcore life took over :biggrin:
Reply 16
Did nothing till about easter. Then did light revision every so often. Never did hardcore revision which led to a scary results day but I suppose it wasn't necessary. Changed completely for A levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Night before/morning of if I felt like doing any at all
Original post by munnaa
What were your results? :redface:

Generally B's all round

I was in the wrong crowd, done all my coursework the night before and spent 90% of my time stoned. I knew that GCSE didn't matter that much, and focused on my sport.

Went on to get 2 A's and 1 B at A level. now few years later starting uni.

You can get no GCSE...no A levels...then spend one year doing an access to HE then off to UNI to become a Midwife for example..unless you want to be a Doctor or want to go to a top uni don't sweat your GCSE's (IMO)
Original post by May_
That actually really means a lot! I think I could have done less for the same results, but I get quite panicky so wanted to make sure I'd be ok :smile:

You're just like me ,I hate uncertainty I pretty much aim strictly for A /A*
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest