The Student Room Group

GCSEs survey

When did you revise for GCSEs?
What were your grades?
Any advice that you would give to someone doing their GCSEs?
When should you start revising for them?
When is it too late to revise for them?
How long does it take to change your grade around. So to go a grade up how long does it take.
How many hours should you be revising in a day for GCSEs. Thanks
Original post by Tiger-
What were your grades?
How long does it take to change your grade around. So to go a grade up how long does it take.

I didn't revise consistently or well for my GCSEs, I revised more for my mocks and I think that helped me quite a lot in the actual exams. I got 88777776665 in my GCSEs. I wouldn't stress too much about the actual exams, especially after them as there is nothing you can do then, and it should be fine as long as you did your best. You should make revision resources for your GCSEs as soon as you start the courses and try to do small amounts of revision regularly, and you should start revising more 3-4 months before your exams. It isn't too late to start revising (unless you count after the exams) as every little bit of revision will help you. It really depends on how much effort and how easily a subject comes to you in terms of time it takes to improve your grade. There is also no fixed amount of time you should be revising although I would recommend 3-4 hours a day at weekends and 1-2 hours after school.
Reply 2
I did my GCSE’s summer 2022 and I got….

Maths- 4 (after taking November re-sit)
English language and literature- 5
Combines science - 44
Geography- 6
History- 6
RE-6
Textiles - 5
Level 2 Travel and tourism BTEC- Distinction

My advice for GCSE takers is to be consistent in your revision, what you are is what you get. Do not stress to much you’ll suprise yourself with the grades you got considering you did so much preparation for mocks etc.
You should start revising for your GCSE’s as soon as you start them in year 10, it only makes it easier for you in year 11. Towards the mains I’d say January since you’d have full 5 months to prepare well. It’s to late to revise everything the night before each exam.

To change your grade around depends on how much you know and how much you are willing to revise and work. If you haven’t done anything to help yourself then it’s tough luck. It’s probably to late to change yourself around a month before gcse since that’s when you finish learning new content.

Hours of revision to put in depends on your commitments and what your willing to put in, and what grades you want to achieve. I did an hour on weekdays then 3-4 hours on weekends depending on how I felt. I did more or less depending on if I felt confident in a certain subject or not.

Original post by username6082011
What were your grades?
Reply 3
I had mocks in November and February and so I revised a lot for those. I then started to revise for actual GCSEs at the start of April, which I think was too late as I was quite stressed.
I got (in 2022)
English Language 6
English Literature 6
Computer Science 8
Food Tech 9
Combined Science 99
History 8
Maths 8
Spanish 8

My advice
Do practice questions for revision - especially maths and science
Flashcards for languages
Essay plans for history
Craig and Dave (I think) for computing. They do a free YouTube channel and then paid practice questions.
Use your mocks as revision, so revise seriously for them.

I would say start to revise at the start of March, so you don't have to rush and overdo it right before. There will always be time to revise, depends on the effort you put in.

I depends on the subject, but I would say 2 hours a day for a month ish and you should improve. But the revision has to be active and useful.
Reply 4
It depends what grades you want. For all 9s, you should be doing 3 hours of homework/revision on school nights and 4 hours a day at weekends. For mock/exam periods, this should be 4 hours on school nights and 7-8 hours a day at weekends.

Quick Reply

Latest