The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3480
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Warwick/UCL-Engineering and Business Management/Engineering with Business FinanceA-levels AAB in maths chemistry physics respectively (1 ums of an A!) Will these a levels disadvantage me massively?GCSE's: 7A* 4A'sLots of EC/Insight daysTaking a gap year and taking A2 FM, will my poor a level results reduce my chances of FO? Also why don't many people want to become technology analysts? Is the pay not good?
Thanks

Those a levels on your cv may be disadvantageous as they do look at them. Also no one cares about (or even looks at) gcses at this stage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Buses
Those a levels on your cv may be disadvantageous as they do look at them. Also no one cares about (or even looks at) gcses at this stage.

It really doesn't matter that much once you've passed the UCAS point barrier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It really doesn't matter that much once you've passed the UCAS point barrier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the point barrier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What is the point barrier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually 320-340. RBS, Greenhill and Rothschild want 360. UBS is lower at 300.

Goldman has no points barrier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually 320-340. RBS, Greenhill and Rothschild want 360. UBS is lower at 300.

Goldman has no points barrier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice i got high 400's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice i got high 400's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one man! It's only based on your top 3 A-levels so 420 is kind of the max.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not, as far as I know. I've never seen the forms explicitly say top 3 only - I've always put my overall total.
Original post by Noble.
It's not, as far as I know. I've never seen the forms explicitly say top 3 only - I've always put my overall total.

They don't state it, but it's the usual practice to only look at the top 3. Mostly because people with BBBB or BBCCb can get past the screen, which isn't really fair.

Obviously, they look at the entire set of grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this might get asked a lot, but does what degree you have disadvantage you at all when getting into banking? For example, a Biology degree from UCL or Bath, would that be suitable?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh i got 380 A*A*(m fm) B in physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh i got 380 A*A*(m fm) B in physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're fine then. Just focus on other areas of your profile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All things remaining equal:

LSE Accounting and Finance vs UCL Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good heavens. Just choose the course you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics.
Good heavens. Just choose the course you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like both courses and would be happy doing either tbh, is it wrong for wanting perspectives?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
I like both courses and would be happy doing either tbh, is it wrong for wanting perspectives?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no perspective required. Choose a course you prefer and continue building up your profile - ceteris paribus situations will not occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Economics.

why? a and f is probably if any, the most applicable degree to ibd
There is no perspective required. Choose a course you prefer and continue building up your profile - ceteris paribus situations will not occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel I'm very able to break into IB and didn't ask the question based on what would be better for me, I've got a pretty strong profile already considering my age which I will continue to build.

I just wanted to see what people thought about the courses relative to each-other, those opinions wouldn't have influenced my own decisions but I was asked this by one of my friends and simply aired the same question out here.
Original post by iBall
I feel I'm very able to break into IB and didn't ask the question based on what would be better for me, I've got a pretty strong profile already considering my age which I will continue to build.

I just wanted to see what people thought about the courses relative to each-other, those opinions wouldn't have influenced my own decisions but I was asked this by one of my friends and simply aired the same question out here.

Lol, TSR will never cease to amaze me.

The simple answer is they are both target unis and going to one over the other will have a marginal difference on someone's prospects.

Nice humblebrag as well, definitely going to help you out in interviews. :')
Lol, TSR will never cease to amaze me.

The simple answer is they are both target unis and going to one over the other will have a marginal difference on someone's prospects.

Nice humblebrag as well, definitely going to help you out in interviews. :':wink:

Ok

Your answer was exactly the same as mine, like I said the question came from a discussion with a friend.

Thanks, long way away from interviews :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending