The Student Room Group

HELP how do I get into vet school?

I have recently received my AS level results and am now stuck in a huge predicament of what to do in terms of UNI application,
i have always wanted to do VM and until now was set on applying to Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol and RVC however after receiving my results I am unsure of the best path. I received a overall pf grade C in as level chemistry along with an A in biology, A in geography and a B in history. The C in chemistry is my major problem here, I was looking for help or ideas of what to do next.

p.s my GCSE grades are all up to requirements and have around 7 weeks varied work experience

thanks Charlotte
AS results really aren't that much of a concern, it's the A2 predictions that matter. If your school will predict you AAA then you're good to go. It is possible to bring a C up to an A, but I'd suggest resitting some AS modules. The course is synoptic (they all are supposedly- but in chem especially), so you need to understand AS concepts to do well at A2 anyway. Resitting AS therefore shouldn't need that much extra revision.

Don't apply to Liverpool if you only have seven weeks of experience, their minimum is ten plus many applicants have well into 20/30/40/50 weeks (remember people spend years building up their portfolio and a lot of people take (multiple) gap years which allows them a lot of time to get experience). Where have you worked? In theory variety is just as if not more important as quantity but seven weeks is a bit iffy.

You can apply this year, or you can take a planned gap year and apply next year with achieved grades and more work experience. I'd recommend the latter.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
AS results really aren't that much of a concern, it's the A2 predictions that matter. If your school will predict you AAA then you're good to go. It is possible to bring a C up to an A, but I'd suggest resitting some AS modules. The course is synoptic (they all are supposedly- but in chem especially), so you need to understand AS concepts to do well at A2 anyway. Resitting AS therefore shouldn't need that much extra revision.

Don't apply to Liverpool if you only have seven weeks of experience, their minimum is ten plus many applicants have well into 20/30/40/50 weeks (remember people spend years building up their portfolio and a lot of people take (multiple) gap years which allows them a lot of time to get experience). Where have you worked? In theory variety is just as if not more important as quantity but seven weeks is a bit iffy.

You can apply this year, or you can take a planned gap year and apply next year with achieved grades and more work experience. I'd recommend the latter.

My school has predicted me AAA for A2 after some persuasion on my chemistry prediction, in breakdown I would have to retake chemistry AS as a whole as I got two C's for unit one and two and a D for the EMPA paper.

I agree with not applying to liverpool however not sure where else to apply. My experience is varied between inner city and rural small animal practices, lambing, dairy, rural farm and stables.

I also have thought of having a planned gap year and filling it full work experience, however I'm worried that this chem grade may hold me back, I will try my hardest and put all my effort in this year to build up my retake grade and get an A for A2, however it doesn't seem that reachable.

p.s I did see a gateway course a\t Nottingham with entry grades of BBC which I am compatible for, wondered how feasible this would be

thanks for the reply
Charlotte
Original post by charlottelm1
My school has predicted me AAA for A2 after some persuasion on my chemistry prediction, in breakdown I would have to retake chemistry AS as a whole as I got two C's for unit one and two and a D for the EMPA paper.
Great news about your predictions. That makes you eligible to apply to all the places you've expressed an interest in. You've got your work cut out for you but as I say there's a lot of AS content in A2 so resits might help you with A2.

I agree with not applying to liverpool however not sure where else to apply.

Have you considered Edinburgh or Surrey? Both have AAA grade requirements and lower work exp. requirements. Avoid Glasgow and Cambridge though.

My experience is varied between inner city and rural small animal practices, lambing, dairy, rural farm and stables.

Good stuff, that's a very nice mix. Ideally you also want a large animal vet practice; any chance of doing this in October half term or anything? Either way if you can do a goof job of reflecting on this in your PS and showing what you learnt and why it'll make you a better vet student then you could be okay, but it's still a bit risky.

I also have thought of having a planned gap year and filling it full work experience, however I'm worried that this chem grade may hold me back, I will try my hardest and put all my effort in this year to build up my retake grade and get an A for A2, however it doesn't seem that reachable.

Firstly, if you were to apply this year and ended up getting an offer, you might not need that A in chem anyway :wink: Several places (RVC, Liverpool, Surrey) have been known to give out AAA offers only to accept people with AAB on results day. Bristol also give out some AAB offers after interview, although the B is supposed to be in your third subject and I don't know how lenient you are if you get it in another order.

If you apply with grades in hand, you'll be expected to have an A, though. Since all applicants must meet the grade entry requirements, to my knowledge grades aren't really used as a factor to decide who gets an offer (other than at Cambs :tongue: ) . No, that's down to work experience, your PS and for the RVC your BMAT score.

I'm articulating this badly, so TL;DR: If you apply this year and get an offer, you'll probably be fine with grades. If you don't get an offer, it will be due to your work exp, in which case you'll need a gap year to bring it up. If you apply during a gap year with grades in hand you'll need an A in chemistry, though.

p.s I did see a gateway course a\t Nottingham with entry grades of BBC which I am compatible for, wondered how feasible this would be
That might be a good shout :smile: RVC also do a gateway course and Bristol have just started offering one too. I can't say I know which course, the 5 year or the 6 year, is more competitive, so you'll have to weigh up the risk of applying for the course with higher entry standards vs getting onto the gateway course and having an extra year of tuiton fees.

thanks for the reply
Charlotte

No worries, hope that helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending