The Student Room Group

Vet School Applications

Hi everyone!
I did a post a couple weeks ago about how stressed I felt after doing my GCSES and how I felt they weren’t going to be up to scrap for Vet Med Application - so here is what I got:

Maths - 7
English Lang - 8
English Lit - 7
History - 8
Art - 8
Drama - 9
Bio - 7 (very disappointed as I was predicted an 8 and got two nines in my Nov/Feb mocks - not sure what went wrong!!)
Physics - 7

Then chemistry, I got a 6!!!! Absolutely distraught however I think I was 2 marks away from a 7, which even still I find annoying as similarity to biology I’ve been achieving 8s since the start of the year so to not even get a 7 is heartbreaking. My high school has sent it in for a remark, but if heaven forbid I don’t pick up the marks, I’ve already spoken about getting a resit next summer?
Thankfully, I got into my college!! I’m doing Bio, Chem and English Lit. If I do have to resit Chem, a silver lining may be that I might do better than a 7 because I’ll find it easier? I’m not sure - does anyone have any experience?
Overall I’m happy, disappointed in some (was predicted two 9s in English but what can you do) however are my other sciences and my math strong enough for a good application? (Again ignoring Chem)
I’ve looked at each Uni requirement and I should be okay however I’d love some advice first hand!
Thank you very much,
Lucy
Reply 1
Hi Lucy,

first of all a huge well done for your results, they're a really impressive set of grades !! :smile: hopefully I'll be able to help you out with any questions you have as I've applied to vet schools in 2 different application cycles.

The maths is definitely strong enough for an application, most vet schools (with the very few exceptions such as Cambridge) just ask for five grade 7's INCLUDING all science's and maths, this means as long as you got 7's in all science's and maths / you had five subjects at a grade 7, any higher grades won't give you an advantage above other applicants.

I.e. if a student applied to Bristol vet school with GCSE grades of 8777765 compared to a student who got e.g. 9998887, the second student wouldn't get any advantage over the first since they both met the minimum entry requirements.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the chemistry. There are around 2/3 vet schools I think that wouldn't mind not having a 7 in chemistry but if you ignored this then it would limit the amount of vet schools you could apply to which I think is pretty risky considering they're all quite competitive and so the more you apply to the better your chances.

Keep in mind the Scottish vet schools don't allow resits.

I would wait for the results of the chemistry remark, if it doesn't go up I would probably look at resitting that in your year 12 summer / next examination season. I went up from a 6 to an 8, and got 2 marks off a 9 in my retake that I did when applying to vet school so if you needed any help with chemistry or anything I'd love to help out. You were so close to the grade boundary though that I'm sure you would smash the resit anyway, and remember the vet schools (except Scottish ones) won't care if you resit and this won't put you at any disadvantage as long as you meet the minimum requirements when you apply.

best wishes and congratulations again !!!! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi! First of all, a HUGE thank you!! That is so lovely to hear. :smile:))
Yes, I’m going to wait until I hear back from my remark, but I’ve mentally prepared myself for a resit - which is super annoying but it’s okay! Id much rather be resitting chemistry than maths.
That’s also really reassuring to hear that you got a 6 and then resat to get an 8 which is fantastic by the way!! That’s pretty annoying about the Scottish Vet School not allowing resits, as I really liked the look of Edinburgh ! It’s okay though, I’m not too fussed. Does that then disclude Ed and Glasgow?? Not sure if Glasgow is right or not.
Once again a huge thank you for your prompt message that has relieved so much stress!
Could I ask without being rude where you applied?
Thank you a million, Lucy :smile:
Reply 3
Also - sorry I forgot to say, thank you for the offer of help! I’ll definitely hold you to that too haha ! That’s super kind of you, you’ve genuinely helped me so much!!!!!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by LucyJem
Hi! First of all, a HUGE thank you!! That is so lovely to hear. :smile:))
Yes, I’m going to wait until I hear back from my remark, but I’ve mentally prepared myself for a resit - which is super annoying but it’s okay! Id much rather be resitting chemistry than maths.
That’s also really reassuring to hear that you got a 6 and then resat to get an 8 which is fantastic by the way!! That’s pretty annoying about the Scottish Vet School not allowing resits, as I really liked the look of Edinburgh ! It’s okay though, I’m not too fussed. Does that then disclude Ed and Glasgow?? Not sure if Glasgow is right or not.
Once again a huge thank you for your prompt message that has relieved so much stress!
Could I ask without being rude where you applied?
Thank you a million, Lucy :smile:

not rude at all, I applied to Surrey, RVC, Bristol and Nottingham.

yeah unfortunately glasgow and edinburgh are both counted out (this was really sad for me cause i LOVED the dark academia vibes of edinburgh 😂😂) also yep, anything is better than maths ..
Can I just say a big well done on getting all those GCSEs! Don't beat yourself up, as long as you get a 7 then anything higher doesn't matter at all for the vet schools, so you have done amazingly! And don't even bother about 9s, they don't matter at all as it is basically just a top % of students rather than an actual grade. Vet schools only want you to get the minimum, and don't rate anyone higher for getting more than the minimum - it's more a 'do they meet GCSEs? Yes/no'.

And you were so close to a 7 on the chemistry! Yes, if the remark doesn't go to plan I would resit it in year 12 - vet schools unfortunately don't have to be flexible in allowing lower grades as they have so many applicants who do meet them so it's an easy criteria to get rid of some applicants over. But they won't hold it against you if you resit so I definitely would, apart from the Scottish ones as mentioned, but that's only 2 of the however many vet schools there is (10? 11? I've stopped keeping up aha). I do think it'll be easier as you won't be focusing on sooo many different subjects, and as you will be doing A Level chemistry alongside hopefully the GCSE will seem much easier too! So I wouldn't worry too much if you do have to resit, and still celebrate the smashing other GCSEs!
Reply 6
Hi! Thank you so much! That’s super reassuring. Just to check if I do resit Chem and get the grade in gcse, and then fingers crossed get the A at A LEVEL - that won’t put me at a disadvantage against someone who got it first time round? Thanks again!
Original post by LucyJem
Hi! Thank you so much! That’s super reassuring. Just to check if I do resit Chem and get the grade in gcse, and then fingers crossed get the A at A LEVEL - that won’t put me at a disadvantage against someone who got it first time round? Thanks again!

Nope, as far as I’m aware (excluding Scottish + Cambridge maybe) the vet schools don’t care about resits and again as long as you meet the requirements it’s simply a checked point for your application to get processed further rather than a rated thing. For resitting A Levels some may change their requirements, e.g. I think Liverpool puts up their offer from AAA to A*AA, or like RVC ask for a minimum achievement the first time round (not sure what it is, maybe around BBC?) but I don’t think this is the case with GCSEs for any uni so you’ll be fine :smile: If ever unsure shoot the admissions team an email to know for 100% to cover your bases.
Reply 8
Original post by LucyJem

nope as long as you meet minimum entry requirements when applying
rather than start a new thread, have a similar question about vet School grades, my daughter got:
Bio - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Geography 8
History - 9
Maths - 6
English Lit - 6
English Lang - 6
Photography - 6

It's the 6s that are disappointing, none were expected (to be fair the Bio was expected to be a 9 and Physics an 8 but its been a brutal year, especially given all the teaching disruption)

She has already chosen Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History as her A levels with a view of dropping one of the last 2 depending on which feels strongest

Our assumption is this is fine for anyone but Cambridge, she currently prefers RVC
Reply 10
Original post by ChiefBrody
rather than start a new thread, have a similar question about vet School grades, my daughter got:
Bio - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Geography 8
History - 9
Maths - 6
English Lit - 6
English Lang - 6
Photography - 6

It's the 6s that are disappointing, none were expected (to be fair the Bio was expected to be a 9 and Physics an 8 but its been a brutal year, especially given all the teaching disruption)

She has already chosen Biology, Chemistry, Geography, History as her A levels with a view of dropping one of the last 2 depending on which feels strongest

Our assumption is this is fine for anyone but Cambridge, she currently prefers RVC

yep this is fine as they got five grade 7’s incl maths and science :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ChiefBrody
Bio - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
Geography 8
History - 9
Maths - 6
English Lit - 6
English Lang - 6
Photography - 6

This is what the RVC website says;

At least five GCSEs at grade 7 (A) including:

7-7 in Combined Science/AA in Science (Double Award) or Biology and Chemistry or Science and Additional Science.
with at least a grade 6 (B) in:

English Language
Mathematics

So she would be absolutely fine with those GCSEs
Reply 12
Hi tell her I saw congrats on her amazing results!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 13
@aliaa03 hey, sorry to be a huge pain but i just sent you a private message so hopefully it reaches you as I’m scared it’ll get lost in the thread!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending