The Student Room Group

Help- Should I include this experience in my vet school application?

I need help with making decision for my vet school application. Here's the situation: I did 5 days of volunteer at a horseback riding school, and the owner is pretty mean. I really worked hard but for some reason she has a bad attitude and just doesn't like me. Despite trying to persuade her, she's willing to write me a reference letter acknowledging only 2 days (~8 hrs) of volunteer. Edinburgh does not require reference letters, so I could write 5 days on that application instead of 2.

The problem is, if I do decide to include this experience in my application, there's a chance that the school might contact referees to verify this work experience (IDK if it's that common for vet schools to contact placements to verify, but I emailed them and they said it's definitely possible and they do it occasionally). However, I'm worried that she could deny my volunteer hours or say something negative about me. I'm not sure how likely this is, but she's definitely hesitant to write me a reference letter at all.

This riding stables is the only horse experience I have. So I really want to include it as it shows diversity in my work experience, especially large animals, although it's pretty short. Should I even bother to ask her to write the reference letter for the 2 days?

I could really use some advice on what to do in this situation. Thank you!!
(edited 9 months ago)
Oh dear. I'm sorry this happened to you.
How much total work experience do you have? As in, do you *need* to put this placement down in order to be considered?

As far as I know, it's rare for vet schools to contact your placement hosts, but I wouldn't want to risk it if she might write something bad about you. Do you have a parent who could help you reason with her? It's very unprofessional for her to take 5 days of your free help and only say 2 days counted...

Worst case scenario, can you try and book another week at a different stables or horse sanctuary? These places tend to be quite easy to get placements at and it's probably not too late to do it this summer. It sucks that you may have wasted a week of your time though!

I'm sorry you're in this position!
Reply 2
Original post by louisvbird
Oh dear. I'm sorry this happened to you.
How much total work experience do you have? As in, do you *need* to put this placement down in order to be considered?

As far as I know, it's rare for vet schools to contact your placement hosts, but I wouldn't want to risk it if she might write something bad about you. Do you have a parent who could help you reason with her? It's very unprofessional for her to take 5 days of your free help and only say 2 days counted...

Worst case scenario, can you try and book another week at a different stables or horse sanctuary? These places tend to be quite easy to get placements at and it's probably not too late to do it this summer. It sucks that you may have wasted a week of your time though!

I'm sorry you're in this position!

I do have enough to meet the minimum. So far, I have:
3 weeks vet
1 week goat farm
1 week dog daycare
will be doing this summer:
2 weeks cattle ranch (there'll be horses there)
1 week rvc summer school
2 weeks farm mixed animals

I can't really book another week since I will be going to the ranch soon! But I think it'll be alright. I could possibly mention horse experience during my time on the ranch.
You have a really good mix of placements so I honestly don't think a lack of horse experience will hinder you too much. Having some vet work plus a good mix of farm work are probably the "core" parts of a good vet school application, and I personally consider anything else to be a bonus. Therefore I think you should be fine if you choose to not mention your stable placement.

Again, to be on the safe side you could try reason with this woman, or just find another week to work at a different stable. But honestly you've got a good amount of experience so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps. It sounds like you've prepared a great application! Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending